Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone that performed this mod had it stopped working? Mine was working normally (i.e., about 90% of the time), but no longer works. I've checked to make sure the feature is still enabled on the center screen, verified with ForScan that the settings in the BCM are correct, tried it with both my key fob and Paak in my pocket (also with just Paak), and it no longer works at all. I also tried disabling the feature on my center screen, turning the car off, turning the car back on and then re-enabling it. Still doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is that I don't think it has worked since the 22S41 recall s/w updates...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Sponsored

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Has anyone that performed this mod had it stopped working? Mine was working normally (i.e., about 90% of the time), but no longer works. I've checked to make sure the feature is still enabled on the center screen, verified with ForScan that the settings in the BCM are correct, tried it with both my key fob and Paak in my pocket (also with just Paak), and it no longer works at all. I also tried disabling the feature on my center screen, turning the car off, turning the car back on and then re-enabling it. Still doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is that I don't think it has worked since the 22S41 recall s/w updates...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Have you checked for DTCs? There's nothing in 22S41 that would make any changes to this. I have performed that update along with others with no effect to the handsfree liftgate.

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Have you checked for DTCs? There's nothing in 22S41 that would make any changes to this. I have performed that update along with others with no effect to the handsfree liftgate.
You could try to do another Local Interconnect Network (LIN) new module initialization. It won't hurt anything.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You could try to do another Local Interconnect Network (LIN) new module initialization. It won't hurt anything.
Thanks. I’ll try both and report back…

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Just completed this successfully on my son's Premium RWD built 5/24/22 and delivered last Wednesday 7/13/22. Some notes:
For Step 1, changing the 0 to 8 worked to enable the on-screen slider.
For Step 2, the module is called BdyCM instead of BCM
For Step 3, the service procedure is under the BdyCM Module and labelled "Local Interconnect Network New Module Calibration" not Initialization.

To remove the panel to verify there are (3) 10mm screws that you remove and the cover slides out towards the back of the car. Here are some pictures I took (the module pic required me to put camera in hole and randomly snap a dozen photos to get that one. You can feel the module and wires with your hand though).
Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY How To: Add Hands-free liftgate back to 2022 Mach-E 20220718_222514139_iOS
Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY How To: Add Hands-free liftgate back to 2022 Mach-E 20220718_222320663_iOS
Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY How To: Add Hands-free liftgate back to 2022 Mach-E 20220718_222156976_iOS

Last edited:

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I think the LIN init/calibration fixed it. (I do also have various DTCs set, but nothing that AFAIK should impact the hands-free lift gate.)

Thanks!

OriginalGoof

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Grabber Blue 22 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It worked for me! Just activated it on my 5/24/22 build date Premium. Thanks for the write up!

pnrmurph

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda CX-5, 2022 Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
I was able to enable the hands-free liftgate on my 2022 Premium ER RWD built on 3/22. One thing that I found was that I needed to set the value noted in step one to A instead of 8, in order to see the toggle switch. I would have thought 8 would have worked since the oringal value I was changing was 0 and not 2. Any ideas what other effects setting to A might have. Everything seems fine and the foot kick works, so I am inclinded to leave it alone and not continue messing with it.

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I was able to enable the hands-free liftgate on my 2022 Premium ER RWD built on 3/22. One thing that I found was that I needed to set the value noted in step one to A instead of 8, in order to see the toggle switch. I would have thought 8 would have worked since the oringal value I was changing was 0 and not 2. Any ideas what other effects setting to A might have. Everything seems fine and the foot kick works, so I am inclinded to leave it alone and not continue messing with it.
When you changed it to 8 and wrote the changes, did you reset it an additional time before trying A? The APIM is finickey with settings like that. I suspect you wrote it once, didn't see the change, then changed it to A, which also enables it and another setting. Effectively resetting it twice.

tobin1920

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Fantastic guide, everything went great. I had to buy the OBDLink EX since the Mongoose I just bought for FDRS wouldn't read APIM, but other than that this was smooth sailing. I was bummed that this wasn't available on my 22 but love having it re-enabled. Thanks a lot!

Dzrhino

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Occupation
Wildlife and Cultural Photographer
Country flag
OK, what is the minimum hardware necessary to reprogram my Mach-E? I see OBDLink EX and the Mongoose mentioned.

pnrmurph

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda CX-5, 2022 Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
When you changed it to 8 and wrote the changes, did you reset it an additional time before trying A? The APIM is finickey with settings like that. I suspect you wrote it once, didn't see the change, then changed it to A, which also enables it and another setting. Effectively resetting it twice.
I thought I did but maybe not. When I get a chance I will try switching to 8 to see what happens, but the hands-free feature has been working great so far.

Btw, According to an earlier post in this thread. Setting to "A" sets things this way:
Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY How To: Add Hands-free liftgate back to 2022 Mach-E 1658521091764

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY How To: Add Hands-free liftgate back to 2022 Mach-E 1658521125218

Edit - looks like ARC is for diesel trucks lol. Ford Mustang Mach-E Presents Warning About Diesel Particulate Filter - autoevolution. Will set mine back to 8 when I get a chance but at least my Mach-E's diesel particulate filter will get regenerated when needed for the time being. :p

Last edited:

tobin1920

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
OK, what is the minimum hardware necessary to reprogram my Mach-E? I see OBDLink EX and the Mongoose mentioned.
The Mongoose works great with FDRS but is $500. You have to use ForSCAN for this procedure, and the Mongoose can't read one of the modules you have to reprogram for this (APIM), so I would not buy the Mongoose just for this.

The OBDLink is $60 and works great with ForSCAN. That's the only hardware you need for this procedure.

So to do this you need:
  1. OBDLink EX ($60 on amazon - there are prob others that work with ForSCAN but this one def does)
  2. ForSCAN and an Extended License to unlock the reprogramming functions ($12 for a year, https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=67018)
  3. 15-20 minutes to run through the steps in the first post

Dzrhino

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Occupation
Wildlife and Cultural Photographer
Country flag
Got it, ordered the OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter from Amazon. Thanks!!!

Mach-Ery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E AWD ER
Country flag
Thanks for this great guide and everyone's support in the comments.

I enabled this a couple of weeks ago. At that time the "8" did not work for me, but the "A" did. User error, I'm sure, but the kick to open worked so I didn't worry about it. After reading the comments above, I saw that the setting for the Diesel Particulate Filter also showed up in the settings so today I changed the A to an 8. Everything still works great and that setting is gone.

Thanks again for the great instructions.
Sponsored