Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have 22 with a build date of 9/14 that i just picked up Friday 10/14. I can confirm that, at least at this build date, the modules are still coming in the cars. I successfully enabled the auto liftgate. Thanks for this - I loved the feature in my '21!
Good to know, maybe Ford still plans on enabling it for everyone someday. It will be like the frunk button for '21s that will take ages to come.
Sponsored

Jay_in_Austin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have 22 with a build date of 9/14 that i just picked up Friday 10/14. I can confirm that, at least at this build date, the modules are still coming in the cars. I successfully enabled the auto liftgate. Thanks for this - I loved the feature in my '21!

One forscan question. My software kept getting held up and saying "execting service function" after each step. It would just sit there forever. I would close the software and reopen it after each step. Is that normal behavior? Is there way to avoid that in the future?

Thanks
I think each step leaves you on the logging page and you have to hit the tab to get back to the service menu.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
I think each step leaves you on the logging page and you have to hit the tab to get back to the service menu.
Thanks - it was my user error. I didn't realize I had to hit the stop button to exit a module and go elsewhere.

MachE1212

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium, 2022 MachE GT (ordered)
Country flag
This worked great on my August build GTPE. Missed this feature from my 21 premium. Thanks!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I have a question. I have this feature and I hate it. I want to unplug my module but I can’t find it. When I stick my head in that little access door in the back diaper, all I see is this which I believe is the magnaride controller.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY How To: Add Hands-free liftgate back to 2022 Mach-E D2A72465-B565-4109-BA14-FEE297FC1719

Can anyone give me more of a description where this hands free hatch module should be? I don’t get enough context from the pics in this thread. Thanks!

mdhawkeye

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
If yours is enabled, do you not have the option to turn it off in the Settings? If not, you could use Forscan as described here to get the setting button to show up, then just turn it off

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If yours is enabled, do you not have the option to turn it off in the Settings? If not, you could use Forscan as described here to get the setting button to show up, then just turn it off
I have the option to turn this off in settings, but it is very easy for that option to inadvertantly get turned on -- or for an APIM update to turn it back on (which happened to me when I flashed to the new APIM software).

I have a short garage and my car is right up against the back door, and I am very much not interested in having my hatch open and get damaged.

Can anyone please answer my question as to where phyiscally this sensor is so I can unplug the dumb thing? I don't want to change my car's parameters in Forscan, I just want to unplug it.

Atxsw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium Std Range MME, Prius
Country flag
Thanks for the confirmation, mine was the next build week hoping it comes on mine. The kick tailgate is one of the main reasons I went with the premium instead of CR1

Jay_in_Austin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the confirmation, mine was the next build week hoping it comes on mine. The kick tailgate is one of the main reasons I went with the premium instead of CR1
I don't think the foot activated tailgate is enabled on any model of the MME. You will probably have to use the Forscan procedure to get it working.

Assuming you are in Austin, TX, you can use my Forscan setup if you want to.

Atxsw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium Std Range MME, Prius
Country flag
I don't think the foot activated tailgate is enabled on any model of the MME. You will probably have to use the Forscan procedure to get it working.

Assuming you are in Austin, TX, you can use my Forscan setup if you want to.
Awesome, I am in Austin. My car still isnt there but I will contact you about it once it is here.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I posted a pic in post 170. Yo must have a really small head though, the access hatch is very small. There are hatch covers under the driver and passenger side; you want the driver side port.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...iftgate-back-to-2022-mach-e.16407/post-468419
That's what she said ... but seriously, I meant to say I shoved my phone up there in the access hole.... Thanks, I didn't make it to post 170 LOL. I think the problem I had is that my hitch adapter bar is blocking my phone being able to snap a photo of it. I think I felt it though but wasn't sure if that was the reverse light or the sensor in question....

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I think I felt it though but wasn't sure if that was the reverse light or the sensor in question....
that last pic is looking from the front to the back. IIRC, the module is towards the right side of the access port if you stick your hand in (looking front to back). I was able to feel it easily sticking my hand in a foot or so. You should be able to feel the three two separate wire harnesses on the left side. Have no idea which one to unplug.

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
that last pic is looking from the front to the back. IIRC, the module is towards the right side of the access port if you stick your hand in (looking front to back). I was able to feel it easily sticking my hand in a foot or so. You should be able to feel the three separate wire harnesses on the left side. Have no idea which one to unplug.
I just had the entire rear plastic bumper cover off to install the Euro Ford tow hitch... cutting the access port in the plastic cover's underside, I got a good look at the layout of this liftgate module and its corresponding sensor wires.

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of this area.

Here's a description: the module is just larger than a playing card deck, it's black and it is mounted on the plastic bumper cover on the driver's side, right where the plastic cover starts to taper upwards.

Form this module, there are two fairly thick sensor wires "my words for them" that stretch toward and across the vertical center line, one along the crease of the plastic bumper cover, and the other one about three - four inches above the crease, for about one foot, horizontally. Both have one end terminate at the module, and the other end dead-ends just on the passenger side of the plastic cover.

They both use the slightly thicker, "built-up" part of the plastic cover for their wall run. With your hand, feeling in there you will feel where the single-layer horizontal bottom portion transitions to the vertical portion, right at the crease. That's where the lower sensor wire lies.

IMHO, if you can unplug either of these wires, like maybe the lower sensor wire from its module connection, you will lose the automatic liftgate function.

There are several other wiring harness bundles up in there along that lower vertical part - they are all placd higher than these two sensor wires and all go to the different sensor sets separate from the liftgate function. All that electric stuff within the rear bumper cover is connected to the main car by one mongo connector tucked into the far left (driver's) corner right behind the left rear wheel. All these other wire bundles are covered with the corrugated protector sleeve channels - the two liftgate sensor wires are the only ones on my Premium bumper without the corrugated protection channels.

Hope this info is helpful.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I just had the entire rear plastic bumper cover off to install the Euro Ford tow hitch... cutting the access port in the plastic cover's underside, I got a good look at the layout of this liftgate module and its corresponding sensor wires.

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of this area.

Here's a description: the module is just larger than a playing card deck, it's black and it is mounted on the plastic bumper cover on the driver's side, right where the plastic cover starts to taper upwards.

Form this module, there are two fairly thick sensor wires "my words for them" that stretch toward and across the vertical center line, one along the crease of the plastic bumper cover, and the other one about three - four inches above the crease, for about one foot, horizontally. Both have one end terminate at the module, and the other end dead-ends just on the passenger side of the plastic cover.

They both use the slightly thicker, "built-up" part of the plastic cover for their wall run. With your hand, feeling in there you will feel where the single-layer horizontal bottom portion transitions to the vertical portion, right at the crease. That's where the lower sensor wire lies.

IMHO, if you can unplug either of these wires, like maybe the lower sensor wire from its module connection, you will lose the automatic liftgate function.

There are several other wiring harness bundles up in there along that lower vertical part - they are all placd higher than these two sensor wires and all go to the different sensor sets separate from the liftgate function. All that electric stuff within the rear bumper cover is connected to the main car by one mongo connector tucked into the far left (driver's) corner right behind the left rear wheel. All these other wire bundles are covered with the corrugated protector sleeve channels - the two liftgate sensor wires are the only ones on my Premium bumper without the corrugated protection channels.

Hope this info is helpful.
Frankly, the rear bumper cover is easier to take off entirely than the front bumper cover. It is a one-person job and it's not that heavy. You start by removing the two bolts for each rear light assemblty and then trim-tool levering the rear light assemblies straight back - they'll pop right out. After that, it's just the regular push pins and connection screws on the trim. The only painful part for me was disconnecting that very large connector on the left side... it has a 90 degree level bracket that was just difficult to lift up to disconnect. Then, with the whole cover off, you can easily see and get to everything you'll want to do for the liftgate function.
Sponsored