SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Good writeup. You removed the entire front bumper? It's a shame you didn't get pictures. Is there really no way to access them with just the lower air dam (step 9 in your instructions) removed or by removing the frunk?

Here's a tip for others: basically every late model Ford uses the same connector for the horn. Hear a Ford honk you like? Buy a horn for that model.

I replaced the horn in our 2021 Escape PHEV with the same horn that's in my 2019 F150. Now it sounds like my truck. :)

The previous poster is correct, though. You don't want to overload the circuit. I would use a relay if adding horns. In fact, I plan to do just that, using a pigtail just like the OP, but using it to run power to a relay and then mount the horns elsewhere.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
"Yesterday I switched out the pair of admittedly decent OEM trumpet horns for two pairs of High Tone + Low Tone Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns, one pair per front corner of the MME."

You must use your horn a lot up there in Arlington.
Ya never know when you'll meet a zombie horde on the road at night, driving thru Maryland 😉

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good writeup. You removed the entire front bumper? It's a shame you didn't get pictures. Is there really no way to access them with just the lower air dam (step 9 in your instructions) removed or by removing the frunk?

Here's a tip for others: basically every late model Ford uses the same connector for the horn. Hear a Ford honk you like? Buy a horn for that model.

I replaced the horn in our 2021 Escape PHEV with the same horn that's in my 2019 F150. Now it soungds like my truck. :)

The previous poster is correct, though. You don't want to overload the circuit. I would use a relay if adding horns. In fact, I plan to do just that, using a pigtail just like the OP, but using it to run power to a relay and then mount the horns elsewhere.
There IS an alternative way to get to the horn spaces without removing the front plastic bumper cover. It would require putting the front of the car up on jacks or a lift, removing both front wheels, and un-pinning the front halves of the felt front wheel well liners.

This will give visual and physical access to the horn space.

Pulling the frunk out will not. The horn spaces on both sides are on the outside of the car body's metal shell.

However, getting access thru the wheel wells does not equate to "getting easy access to add brackets and fasten them" compared to just removing the whole plastic front cover. Access thru the wheel well = working thru a narrow long(ish) tunnel at a visual and physical angle. Having done this mod, I would hesitate to try it again just thru the wheel well.

About relays - yes I completely understand. This is my habit when adding horns on motorcycles. I had two plug & play relay + wiring sets ready, one per side. I just couldn't get it to work, despite previous experience wiring relays in. Had the power from the 12V battery, had good grounding, etc etc... Some cars already have horn relays built-in and perhaps this was the issue here, although I could not locate them in the complex MME wiring harness. Besides, my solution just doubles horns on each of two circuits, one power wire per corner, rather than doubling them on one single power wire.

I appreciate the questions and comments. Based on several comments here, I might make a sketch of the bracketry and post it for future users' information.

The bottom line is that, where each OEM trumpet horn now lives, there is plenty of space available for another additional horn, just behind and slightly above the OEM horn.

I see powerful sets of horns as akin to a spare tire: hopefully never needed but if they can help avoid a potential crash or, more importantly, save a life or avoid someone's injury, then the up-front cost and labor are worth it.

Reactions: SWO

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
There IS an alternative way to get to the horn spaces without removing the front plastic bumper cover. It would require putting the front of the car up on jacks or a lift, removing both front wheels, and un-pinning the front halves of the felt front wheel well liners.

This will give visual and physical access to the horn space.

Pulling the frunk out will not. The horn spaces on both sides are on the outside of the car body's metal shell.

However, getting access thru the wheel wells does not equate to "getting easy access to add brackets and fasten them" compared to just removing the whole plastic front cover. Access thru the wheel well = working thru a narrow long(ish) tunnel at a visual and physical angle. Having done this mod, I would hesitate to try it again just thru the wheel well.

About relays - yes I completely understand. This is my habit when adding horns on motorcycles. I had two plug & play relay + wiring sets ready, one per side. I just couldn't get it to work, despite previous experience wiring relays in. Had the power from the 12V battery, had good grounding, etc etc... Some cars already have horn relays built-in and perhaps this was the issue here, although I could not locate them in the complex MME wiring harness. Besides, my solution just doubles horns on each of two circuits, one power wire per corner, rather than doubling them on one single power wire.

I appreciate the questions and comments. Based on several comments here, I might make a sketch of the bracketry and post it for future users' information.

The bottom line is that, where each OEM trumpet horn now lives, there is plenty of space available for another additional horn, just behind and slightly above the OEM horn.

I see powerful sets of horns as akin to a spare tire: hopefully never needed but if they can help avoid a potential crash or, more importantly, save a life or avoid someone's injury, then the up-front cost and labor are worth it.
Thanks for that info. Is there enough room to unplug the horns from the wheel wells with the wheel well liners removed?

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for that info. Is there enough room to unplug the horns from the wheel wells with the wheel well liners removed?
Yes, you can easily unplug the horn contacts by reaching in via the wheel well.

Reactions: SWO

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Ya never know when you'll meet a zombie horde on the road at night, driving thru Maryland 😉
There are already zombie hordes in MD, especially Montgomery County.

Rj786

First Name
Raza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mache Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would like to change the horn sound when locking vehicle to the Beep sound on most Toyota’s. Considering most things are configurable on this car Ford should consider making the horn configurable as well.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I would like to change the horn sound when locking vehicle to the Beep sound on most Toyota’s. Considering most things are configurable on this car Ford should consider making the horn configurable as well.
There is no "beeper" to emit that sound on a Ford.
Sponsored