DIY - How to install a front tow ring at the front bumper knockout cover.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Folks,

Having once owned a BMW 318i (1990 - brand new) and using the included tow eyelet for getting my car out of a snowy ditch, I really appreciate bumper screw-in tow eyelet mounts. If they are installed, they might never be used... but even a one-time use solves a significant time- and $$-headache and makes this really simple device worthwhile.

I carefully looked at pictures of European MMEs which have to have these device mounts installed in their front bumpers, and assessed that the plastic bumper cover push-out cover, which for U.S. MMEs gives access to the front hatch release in case of a dead 12-Volt battery, is the same cover in the same position used for the European MMEs. In other words, in European models the MME tow eyelet screw-in mount also lives directly behind this same cover.

After watching pics in another thread here that showed the disassembled front of the MME to fix a body panel after a riding lawn mower crashed into the car, I got a good sense of the layout and construction behind the huge plastic front bumper cover.

I bought two items from Rennline: their universal tow ring screw-in receiver plate for $24, listed here:
https://www.rennline.com/rennline-universal-screw-in-tow-hook-receiver-sku-e82/

and their corresponding Rennline universal tow ring for $125 (ATTENTION - Rennline sells a bunch of different tow rings - you want the "universal folding tow ring" because the others won't work with the receiver plate above) to mate with their universal tow ring receiver, listed here:
https://www.rennline.com/rennline-folding-tow-hook-rev2-sku-e19-209/

As the very 1st action I marked the exact location for the tow eyelet shaft through the push-out access window on the plastic bumper cover, and then I took off the MME front plastic body / bumper cover with guidance from the official Ford instructions, provided by markboris in another thread, attached here. This big front bumper cover removal & re-attachment is the biggest time suck of the entire project. Many bolts and push-pins and disconnects to undo and then reattach. I recommend two people for the actual off & on movement maneuvers.

(I was doing three concurrent projects: the Lighted Pony install, an upgrade of the OEM horn system, and this front tow ring, so taking the big bumper cover off made all three projects easier).

The metal bumper rail is actually made of aluminum, easier to drill thru than steel which I had expected. I marked all three holes on the metal rail, right below its inner centerline strength plate (You'll see it from the side once the plastic cover is off the body), and drilled out the appropriate holes, starting with small drills for accurate locating and ending with 3/8 drill for the Rennline tow ring shaft and the two flange bolts I got from the hardware store.

Because the aluminum metal is softer than steel, I was able to enlarge the drill holes for a precise fit by using a Dremel tool with its hardened steel material-shaving attachment. It's the steel cylinder with sharp ridges all around its cylinder exterior to shave non-ferrous metal stuff away in a controlled manner. Additionally, the three holes I drilled, as you can see from the attached pics, are positioned horizontally inside the junction of the car's frame rail and the bumper rail - this means that when towed by this tow ring, the towing force will pull on the body frame rail and not depend solely on the bumper rail.

The most difficult part, which turned out to be pretty easy, was to get the Rennline backing plate with its welded-on nut and the two flange bolts so positioned inside the bumper rail that the bolt shafts would come through to the front of the bumper rail to receive their flanged nuts and their lock washers. The holes to mount the receiver plate are about one foot inside the bumper rail, and the lower rectangular channel they must go into is too narrow for hands, too long for the usual tools and a bit curved because of the bumper's shape on the car corner. We cut a wooden sled from a short piece of a 2 x 4 with one of those battery-powered vibrating blade tools. The wooden transport sled was about four inches long, and its height was cut to vertically position the Rennline receiver plate central holes exactly in plane with the holes we drilled in the bumper. We placed a much slimmer piece from the same 2 x 4 chunk on top of the sled for a thin support for the bolt heads, to ride on the sled behind the receiver plate. NOTE: for strength when towing, I made sure the welded nut on the receiving plate was pointed to the back, behind the plate, so that the pulling force will pull this welded nut into rather than away from the thick receiving plate, spreading the force onto a much wider area inside the aluminum bumper rail.

This sounds really complicated but it is really, really simple and obvious once you have the stuff in your hands. The bumper rail's inside is very smooth and we just slowly pushed the small wooden sled, the Rennline receiver plate on it sitting on edge, and the two flange bolts with their shafts just inserted into their receiver plate holes, into the bumper cavity until everything lined up - at the 1st try. Then, I used my magnetic screw retrieving wand to grab the end of the right-side bolt and pull it thru... and spun the lock washer and flange nut on which secured the whole thing. Then I repeated with the left bolt (BTW - the existing OEM hole in the front of the bumper rail made it really easy - I just used my finger thru it to help with the 1st bolt). Then, a high-speed application of the electric drill with the appropriate socket spun the flange nuts on hard enough so they grabbed the threads and the bolts quit spinning... then I just snugged everything up with a long ratchet. The slight curvature of the bumper rail's front body at that point helped by inducing just a little tension as I snugged things up. The cutting of the wooden sled, the sliding in of the package and the snugging up of the bolts all took about 15 minutes. We then pushed the wooden sled and its separate wooden back bolt rest piece out using a long piece of thin flexible scrap metal, starting from the other end of the bumper rail.

Once the other two projects were done, we re-mounted the big plastic cover. Everything appears to fit well. I'll store the Rennline tow ring in the glove box for easy access when needed - hopefully never haha.

Final point: after adjusting everything I used the Rennline tow ring without its short extension adapter (you'll get everything incl. this extended adapter as a package) for maximum thread strength of the towing assembly. I also added a large nut with a nylon lock-insert to the Rennline tow ring shaft to provide an appropriate stopping point when I screw the tow ring in... the nylon insert in the nut prevents the big nut from meandering up and down the main shaft's threads. I adjusted this Nylock nut to let the Rennline tow shaft go into the welded mounting nut for the main mounting nut's full thickness, and no more... about seven (7) full revolutions. Finally, I liberally added red Loctite to the threads of the front stainless steel hex-driven bolt - you can see its head in the pictures - which holds the tow ring on the tow shaft to prevent it from unscrewing once I had all the dimensions set, and let it set in place for an hour in the sun to solidly lock everything together..

Hope this is useful. It'll certainly provide a good solution if (when?) the MME contactors weld themselves while the car is parked in some difficult spot. I intend to use my new Euro tow hitch in the rear for towing rearward, in case the contactors go SPLOOEY and the car is parked nose-in somewhere.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY - How to install a front tow ring at the front bumper knockout cover. Tow ring - naked bumper with drilled holes

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY - How to install a front tow ring at the front bumper knockout cover. Tow ring - backing plate installed and bolted

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY - How to install a front tow ring at the front bumper knockout cover. Tow ring - front angle view

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY - How to install a front tow ring at the front bumper knockout cover. Tow ring - perspective view

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY - How to install a front tow ring at the front bumper knockout cover. Tow ring - assembled bumper cover view

Attachments

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Very cool. This is something I was trying to accomplish using the factory tow ring but I cannot find a suitable receiver plate. I got a tow ring but I haven’t located or fabricated a receiver plate yet since it’s a weird left-handed metric thread. 🤪🐩

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I understand that these tow eyelet mounts were originally all made with left-hand threads because, back in the day, tow lines were right-hand lay steel lines. Under tension they tended to un-twist normal right-hand thread towing eyelets. Left-hand thread tow eyelets would tighten when towed with steel cables.

These days, polyester cargo straps make this issue moot.

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are a lot of really cheap "looks only" imitation-racer-boy tow rings out there. The Rennline tow ring is pretty solidly made IMHO. Worth the price.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Yeah, I understand that these tow eyelet mounts were originally all made with left-hand threads because, back in the day, tow lines were right-hand lay steel lines. Under tension they tended to un-twist normal right-hand thread towing eyelets. Left-hand thread tow eyelets would tighten when towed with steel cables.

These days, polyester cargo straps make this issue moot.
Oh, it’s not that it’s a left-hand thread. It’s that it’s a wildcat leeftie. It’s an M16x3.0 LH where standards are 1.5 or 2.0 LH. I checked with a dozen or so machine tool supply houses and mostly gotten “Huh? No such thing.” 🤪🐩

I am probably going to steal your idea. Not any time soon, but… 😊🐩

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I want to share the other idea I had to do this front towing capability mod... before I went and installed the Rennline tow ring as described above.

With more and more Mach Es running on the roads around the world, sooner or later wrecked, insurance-totaled Mach Es will start showing up on wrecker / parts breaker yards.

Then, the European breaker yards will begin to have perfectly good front aluminum bumpers for resale. The European ones with the front tow mount plate welded in.

These inner bumpers on the Mach E are aluminum... so shipping cost will be more about the package dimensions than the weight, as it would be if they were steel.

Boonstra of the Netherlands is one such parts breaker / reseller, and there are several in Finland.

Based on my work with the front bumper while installing the Rennline aftermarket tow front ring, I am reasonably certain the Euro and North American aluminum front bumpers have the same bolt hole patterns and overall dimensions.

...I went with the Rennline tow ring because I just didn't want to wait that long, with the ever-present big battery contactor issue on our horizons.

Hope this is a useful addendum for someone down the line.

Last edited:

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Cool mod and it could be especially handy if you needed to be flat-towed for any distance (following all the advice in the owners manual about the process), but beyond that, I kinda struggle to think of other examples where it might be useful...? Presumably if one needed to be pulled forward from a snow bank or ditch, the tow holes under the front of the car would be useful unless the car was up tight against a bump or something. Don't get me wrong, I wish the car had a tow hook and I think your mod is great. I guess I'm just wandering if there are any other use cases you have in mind for it...? (The trailer hitch receiver for rear towing is kinda a no brainer, though I've yet to do it as I don't want my wife's head to explode 🤣)

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cool mod and it could be especially handy if you needed to be flat-towed for any distance (following all the advice in the owners manual about the process), but beyond that, I kinda struggle to think of other examples where it might be useful...? Presumably if one needed to be pulled forward from a snow bank or ditch, the tow holes under the front of the car would be useful unless the car was up tight against a bump or something. Don't get me wrong, I wish the car had a tow hook and I think your mod is great. I guess I'm just wandering if there are any other use cases you have in mind for it...? (The trailer hitch receiver for rear towing is kinda a no brainer, though I've yet to do it as I don't want my wife's head to explode 🤣)
It's a "just in case" mod. Better to have and to never need it, than...

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Besides, I combined it with two other front mods - all needed the yuuuge front plastic apron pulled off, so once I had the parts in hand for all three, I knocked them all out in one day. Bigger & more of front two-tone horns + the Lighted Pony + the tow ring.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. My frunk is full of just-in-case accessories, so I get it. I was just wondering if I was missing a use case.

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. My frunk is full of just-in-case accessories, so I get it. I was just wondering if I was missing a use case.
Hahaha... I store a folded snow scoop in my frunk. And the snow chains. And a portable 20-amp EVSE for an emergency charging stop in an RV park. And two bitcoin, except I can't find them lately grrr...

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Folks,

Having once owned a BMW 318i (1990 - brand new) and using the included tow eyelet for getting my car out of a snowy ditch, I really appreciate bumper screw-in tow eyelet mounts. If they are installed, they might never be used... but even a one-time use solves a significant time- and $$-headache and makes this really simple device worthwhile.

I carefully looked at pictures of European MMEs which have to have these device mounts installed in their front bumpers, and assessed that the plastic bumper cover push-out cover, which for U.S. MMEs gives access to the front hatch release in case of a dead 12-Volt battery, is the same cover in the same position used for the European MMEs. In other words, in European models the MME tow eyelet screw-in mount also lives directly behind this same cover.

After watching pics in another thread here that showed the disassembled front of the MME to fix a body panel after a riding lawn mower crashed into the car, I got a good sense of the layout and construction behind the huge plastic front bumper cover.

I bought two items from Rennline: their universal tow ring screw-in receiver plate for $24, listed here:
https://www.rennline.com/rennline-universal-screw-in-tow-hook-receiver-sku-e82/

and their corresponding Rennline universal tow ring for $125 (ATTENTION - Rennline sells a bunch of different tow rings - you want the "universal folding tow ring" because the others won't work with the receiver plate above) to mate with their universal tow ring receiver, listed here:
https://www.rennline.com/rennline-folding-tow-hook-rev2-sku-e19-209/

As the very 1st action I marked the exact location for the tow eyelet shaft through the push-out access window on the plastic bumper cover, and then I took off the MME front plastic body / bumper cover with guidance from the official Ford instructions, provided by markboris in another thread, attached here. This big front bumper cover removal & re-attachment is the biggest time suck of the entire project. Many bolts and push-pins and disconnects to undo and then reattach. I recommend two people for the actual off & on movement maneuvers.

(I was doing three concurrent projects: the Lighted Pony install, an upgrade of the OEM horn system, and this front tow ring, so taking the big bumper cover off made all three projects easier).

The metal bumper rail is actually made of aluminum, easier to drill thru than steel which I had expected. I marked all three holes on the metal rail, right below its inner centerline strength plate (You'll see it from the side once the plastic cover is off the body), and drilled out the appropriate holes, starting with small drills for accurate locating and ending with 3/8 drill for the Rennline two ring shaft and the two flange bolts I got for the hardware store.

Because the aluminum metal is softer than steel, I was able to enlarge the drill holes for a precise fit by using a Dremel tool with its hardened steel material-shaving attachment. It's the steel cylinder with sharp ridges all around its cylinder exterior to shave non-ferrous metal stuff away in a controlled manner. Additionally, the three holes I drilled, as you can see from the attached pics, are positioned horizontally inside the junction of the car's frame rail and the bumper rail - this means that when towed by this tow ring, the towing force will pull on the body frame rail and not depend solely on the bumper rail.

The most difficult part, which turned out to be pretty easy, was to get the Rennline backing plate with its welded-on nut and the two flange bolts so positioned inside the bumper rail that the bolt shafts would come through to the front of the bumper rail to receive their flanged nuts and their lock washers. The holes to mount the receiver plate are about one foot inside the bumper rail, and the lower rectangular channel they must go into is too narrow for hands, too long for the usual tools and a bit curved because of the bumper's shape on the car corner. We cut a wooden sled from a short piece of a 2 x 4 with one of those battery-powered vibrating blade tools. The wooden transport sled was about four inches long, and its height was cut to vertically position the Rennline receiver plate central holes exactly in plane with the holes we drilled in the bumper. We placed a much slimmer piece from the same 2 x 4 chunk on top of the sled for a thin support for the bolt heads, to ride on the sled behind the receiver plate. NOTE: for strength when towing, I made sure the welded nut on the receiving plate was pointed to the back, behind the plate, so that the pulling force will pull this welded nut into rather than away from the thick receiving plate, spreading the force onto a much wider area inside the aluminum bumper rail.

This sounds really complicated but it is really, really simple and obvious once you have the stuff in your hands. The bumper rail's inside is very smooth and we just slowly pushed the small wooden sled, the Rennline receiver plate on it sitting on edge, and the two flange bolts with their shafts just inserted into their receiver plate holes, into the bumper cavity until everything lined up - at the 1st try. Then, I used my magnetic screw retrieving wand to grab the end of the right-side bolt and pull it thru... and spun the lock washer and flange nut on which secured the whole thing. Then I repeated with the left bolt (BTW - the existing OEM hole in the front of the bumper rail made it really easy - I just used my finger thru it to help with the 1st bolt). Then, a high-speed application of the electric drill with the appropriate socket spun the flange nuts on hard enough so they grabbed the threads and the bolts quit spinning... then I just snugged everything up with a long ratchet. The slight curvature of the bumper rail's front body at that point helped by inducing just a little tension as I snugged things up. The cutting of the wooden sled, the sliding in of the package and the snugging up of the bolts all took about 15 minutes. We then pushed the wooden sled and its separate wooden back bolt rest piece out using a long piece of thin flexible scrap metal, starting from the other end of the bumper rail.

Once the other two projects were done, we re-mounted the big plastic cover. Everything appears to fit well. I'll store the Rennline tow ring in the glove box for easy access when needed - hopefully never haha.

Final point: after adjusting everything I used the Rennline tow ring without its short extension adapter (you'll get everything incl. this extended adapter as a package) for maximum thread strength of the towing assembly. I also added a large nut with a nylon lock-insert to the Rennline tow ring shaft to provide an appropriate stopping point when I screw the tow ring in... the nylon insert in the nut prevents the big nut from meandering up and down the main shaft's threads. I adjusted this Nylock nut to let the Rennline tow shaft go into the welded mounting nut for the main mounting nut's full thickness, and no more... about seven (7) full revolutions. Finally, I liberally added red Loctite to the threads of the front stainless steel hex-driven bolt - you can see its head in the pictures - which holds the tow ring on the tow shaft to prevent it from unscrewing once I had all the dimensions set, and let it set in place for an hour in the sun to solidly lock everything together..

Hope this is useful. It'll certainly provide a good solution if (when?) the MME contactors weld themselves while the car is parked in some difficult spot. I intend to use my new Euro tow hitch in the rear for towing rearward, in case the contactors go SPLOOEY and the car is parked nose-in somewhere.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY - How to install a front tow ring at the front bumper knockout cover. Tow ring - assembled bumper cover view

well done!
I will likely do similar, but wait until summer when I have a full day to pull the bumper cover....