First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Got my Torklift hitch on Saturday and installed on it Sunday. I was watching the site and bought it when it was briefly (maybe for two days) on sale for $402.99 ($25.00 off).

Thanks to @dtbaker61 for the excellent write up on the install. Made it go a lot smoother for me. Also, thanks to @pohdyb for the hint of fishing the bolts head first. This made getting them in much easier. (see photo below)

There were a few surprises on my install that I don't remember seeing mentioned anywhere on the forum:
  • Step 3 of the instructions: Remove the speaker bracket. I spent a minute looking for it before I decided it just wasn't there. I think I found the screws where it should've been (see photos below). I guess since the rear speaker doesn't really do anything, they didn't install it (at least on my car built in the first week in May).
  • As some others did, I used a pair of snips to make the cuts in the bumper and underbody. It was very easy to control the cuts and they came out smooth and straight. Also as some others did, I left the bumper flap (did not cut the top) and folded it up under the receiver. Worked well (see photos).
  • Finally, there was a harness on the passenger side crossing between holes A and B for the carriage bolt attachment to the hitch. I hadn't seen this harness mentioned before. I thought I could slip the hitch under the harness or push the harness back behind the hitch but this was too difficult (for me) while trying to lift the hitch into place and feed it into the carriage bolts. I detached a clip holding the harness to the frame, which gave me enough slack to move the hitch under the harness and into the carriage bolts (see photos). After the install was done, I was able to push the harness behind the hitch and re-attach the clip. Removing the clip made the install a lot easier for me.
Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME Hitch Install Step 3 Speaker

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME missing rear speaker

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME Cutting the underbody

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME fishing the bolts head first

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME harness blocking hitch install

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME harness clip close u

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME re-attaching harness cli

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME hitch receiver in cutouts

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME finished hitch 1

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc MME finished hitch 2

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I decided I was too busy to install myself, so I had Torklift do the hitch and the wiring installation today. They did a great job. Now I need to find a bunch of crap to haul around to test it out.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I decided I was too busy to install myself, so I had Torklift do the hitch and the wiring installation today. They did a great job. Now I need to find a bunch of crap to haul around to test it out.
how's the diffuser cutout? Any worries about water getting up in there? Winter rains are coming...

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It looks tight.
how's the diffuser cutout? Any worries about water getting up in there? Winter rains are coming...
It looks tight.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
There were a few surprises on my install that I don't remember seeing mentioned anywhere on the forum:
  • Step 3 of the instructions: Remove the speaker bracket. I spent a minute looking for it before I decided it just wasn't there. I think I found the screws where it should've been (see photos below). I guess since the rear speaker doesn't really do anything, they didn't install it (at least on my car built in the first week in May).
Same story for me - another May build and I didn't have the speaker either. Must be a change they made from the early builds. Not complaining - I'm always a fan of "fewer parts to deal with".

Nice writeup, and good photos - this is an easy car to install a hitch on with no exhaust system to deal with!

Reactions: SAM

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thanks to @dtbaker61 for the excellent write up on the install. Made it go a lot smoother for me. Also, thanks to @pohdyb for the hint of fishing the bolts head first. This made getting them in much easier. (see photo below)
I enthusiastically thank everyone who shared their experience mounting this hitch. This time I actually read the directions and read how others overcame a few challenges.

My installation experience was very similar to others. It was really very easy but it took me a little over 3 hours because of the way I did it.

I did not put the car on ramps or jack up the car. I did not totally remove the bottom cover. In some respects it made it easier, but it was a little tight reaching everything and it probably would have gone faster if I raised the car a little. But as I said before it really wasn't that hard anyway and the lower car made it easier to raise the hitch into position.

I did not seek any help from any of my family members inside the warm house. I really wanted to see how hard it would be to do by myself.

Because the car was not raised on ramps or jacks, I was able to connect one side of the hitch while the other side rested on the ground. I connected one bolt on one side, and then one on the other. Then I raised the hitch receiver up to make contact with the bumper and marked the bumper for cutting. Then I removed the hitch and cut the bumper. Doing that definitely cost me some time but I was worried about measuring incorrectly and cutting the bumper in the wrong place.

I also cut the bottom cover after the hitch was fully mounted. That was really easy.

The OP noted that the plastic push pins are easy to break. They will definitely break if you try to remove them without taking out the middle "pin" first. See the picture below. If you take that pin out they can be reused with no issues.

My problems:

1. The bracket that attaches to the bumper screws on the passenger side would not seat properly (see pictures). I tried to move the hitch as far as I could to allow the bracket to seat but it would not. (All the bolts holding the hitch on the car were hand tightened and loose as I put all the bolts in to allow easy shifting and alignment.) But when I tighted the bracket down with my ratchet, it did seat flush. So I think it is OK but probably there needs to be a little more slack in the holes to allow for wider bumper bolt tolerances.

2. The bottom cover was very difficult to get back on. I thought because I didn't totally remove it, all the holes would naturally line up. But they didn't. I really don't understand how that happened but I had a hard time getting the screw to find the holes. I did get them in, of course, but it was harder and took a lot longer than I expected.

I tested my Yakima bike rack and it fits great! I can't wait to use it!

20211218_154031.jpg

20211218_153743.jpg

20211218_125144.jpg

20211218_153555.jpg

20211218_153243.jpg

20211218_153122.jpg

20211218_153001.jpg

20211218_154253.jpg

20211218_154353.jpg

20211218_154539.jpg

20211218_150724.jpg

20211218_151117.jpg

20211218_151124.jpg

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Thanks, very helpful write-up that will re-read when I get my MME. And echoing your thanks to @dtbaker61, and @SAM for their detailed write-ups as well.

I installed a rack from etrailer on my Sienna with my son and it took a few hours. We did have to remove a similar big plastic piece held on with those clips and also had to cut through it with those same tin snips you used so I guess I've had some practice. I wonder how tight it was for you not jacking up the car. I have a nice jack and a set of 2-ton jack stands but was confused about how I would jack up the MME since there doesn't appear to be a central jacking point, only ones on the sides where I would then have to put the stands. How did those of you who did this with jack stands do it?

@SAM, I'm in central NJ as well and might have to ping you at some point to see if you'd be up for a visit for some hands on technical advice :) .

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I wonder how tight it was for you not jacking up the car.
Not bad at all. I laid on my back and side to reach what I needed. I was able to go all the way under the bumper and see everything I needed to see.

I think if you want you take the cover completely off you will have to raise the car because you can't fit under the car where the rear motor is. I could not even see the bolts holding the cover on the other side of the motor.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Thanks, very helpful write-up that will re-read when I get my MME. And echoing your thanks to @dtbaker61, and @SAM for their detailed write-ups as well.

I installed a rack from etrailer on my Sienna with my son and it took a few hours. We did have to remove a similar big plastic piece held on with those clips and also had to cut through it with those same tin snips you used so I guess I've had some practice. I wonder how tight it was for you not jacking up the car. I have a nice jack and a set of 2-ton jack stands but was confused about how I would jack up the MME since there doesn't appear to be a central jacking point, only ones on the sides where I would then have to put the stands. How did those of you who did this with jack stands do it?

@SAM, I'm in central NJ as well and might have to ping you at some point to see if you'd be up for a visit for some hands on technical advice :) .
I'd be happy to help! DM me when you're ready and we can set up a meet. I borrowed the ramps I used from a buddy and could borrow again, if you'd like to use ramps. They make it a lot easier to get the car up.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I had a client that got his repaired eBike delivered by Pony Express this morning.....

20220127_164238 throttle.jpg

20220127_173259 solder BROKEN.jpg

20220127_174408 solder FIXED.jpg

20220128_115310 delivering.jpg

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Ok I need to ask, Is that a Tiger or standard Sunbeam? If a Tiger how much are you asking?

Tony

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles