Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ok I need to ask, Is that a Tiger or standard Sunbeam? If a Tiger how much are you asking?

Tony
just an alpine... I was going to convert to an eTiger... but I got bogged down in other projects, and never got to it. I'm more of a 'mod/performance' guy than a restoration type, so I sold April'22 to a guy that wants to restore it.
Sponsored

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Just saw that the TorkLift hinge is on sale for $284 on the trailer.com site

EpicMachE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME, FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
took less than 2 hours, even stopping for pictures.... install instructions were 'ok'. only real issues were:

- 4 plastic fasteners holding rear 'diaper' pan up probably will break on removal, and you 'll need replacements. You might want to get exact replacements if you have a decent hardware store nearby that carries automotive fasteners.... or, use 'regular' anchor bolts with a fender washer under the screw head so that it will be easy to remove the diaper in the future.

- the 4 included carriage bolt heads *barely* fit thru holes in chassis rails, and you *probably* will need to grid them down to fit thru holes. Or, try sticking the head in FIRST; but be careful not to lose the fish wire off the thread end!

I got my hitch from Torkliftcentral.com directly, it is the 2" steel version.
...I think they are now offering a stainless version, and may offer a 1-1/4" version. At the time I ordered, there was only a 2" version.... very beefy at 42.5# including hardware.

There are NO electronics included for wiring lights... but perfect for a bike rack

001 delivery.jpg

002 Shipping-packing.jpg

003 shipping wt 52#.jpg

004.1 tools needed.jpg

004.2 remove diaper.jpg

004.3 remove speaker.jpg

004.40 cut slots.jpg

004.41 bumper cut 01.jpg

004.41 bumper cut 02.jpg

004.42 bumper cut 03.jpg

004.43 bumper cut 04.jpg

004.44 diaper cut 01.jpg

004.45 diaper cut 02.jpg

005 ready to install.jpg

006 bolt prep.jpg

007 bolt fishing.jpg

007.jpg

008 removing rear speaker.jpg

008.jpg

009 installing.jpg

009.jpg

010 installed w speaker .jpg

010 installed w speaker.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

090 final clearance.jpg

091 backup camera view.jpg

092 installed bike rack side.jpg

093 installed bike rack rear.jpg
took less than 2 hours, even stopping for pictures.... install instructions were 'ok'. only real issues were:

- 4 plastic fasteners holding rear 'diaper' pan up probably will break on removal, and you 'll need replacements. You might want to get exact replacements if you have a decent hardware store nearby that carries automotive fasteners.... or, use 'regular' anchor bolts with a fender washer under the screw head so that it will be easy to remove the diaper in the future.

- the 4 included carriage bolt heads *barely* fit thru holes in chassis rails, and you *probably* will need to grid them down to fit thru holes. Or, try sticking the head in FIRST; but be careful not to lose the fish wire off the thread end!

I got my hitch from Torkliftcentral.com directly, it is the 2" steel version.
...I think they are now offering a stainless version, and may offer a 1-1/4" version. At the time I ordered, there was only a 2" version.... very beefy at 42.5# including hardware.

There are NO electronics included for wiring lights... but perfect for a bike rack

001 delivery.jpg

002 Shipping-packing.jpg

003 shipping wt 52#.jpg

004.1 tools needed.jpg

004.2 remove diaper.jpg

004.3 remove speaker.jpg

004.40 cut slots.jpg

004.41 bumper cut 01.jpg

004.41 bumper cut 02.jpg

004.42 bumper cut 03.jpg

004.43 bumper cut 04.jpg

004.44 diaper cut 01.jpg

004.45 diaper cut 02.jpg

005 ready to install.jpg

006 bolt prep.jpg

007 bolt fishing.jpg

007.jpg

008 removing rear speaker.jpg

008.jpg

009 installing.jpg

009.jpg

010 installed w speaker .jpg

010 installed w speaker.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

090 final clearance.jpg

091 backup camera view.jpg

092 installed bike rack side.jpg

093 installed bike rack rear.jpg
Thank You for the info and tips. Did mine yesterday and it came out great !

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I just installed my torklift last night. Took a little while, but wasn't too bad. A couple of revelations for me:
  • Step 2: I didn't break any of the plastics fasteners on the under body panel ("diaper") - just have the use the pull top (on 2 of them), and gently wiggle out the other 2. Why Ford needed to use 3 different types of fasteners on 1 panel is beyond me.
  • Step 4: 7" cut into the rear bumper cover was more than needed - try 5" as the cover only really needs to clear the back of the receiver. You can always cut more later, but there is no way to cut less.
  • I did it by myself, so I did step 10 before steps 6, 7, and 9. (i.e. install the 2 rear brackets first, then lift the hitch in place and slide a 3/8" bolt through the hitch into the rear bracket to hold the hitch in place, and THEN fish the 1/2" bolts through). That way, there is no need to worry about pushing the 1/2" bolts back into the frame when lifting the hitch into place.
Overall, very happy with the hitch as it looks good and feels solid.

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag

Mallthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
When I got the car I received a formal Ford instruction (VP21 A 037) about load....

SR max bikes and bike-rack 75kg max 2 persons front and 2 passengers back
ER max bikes and bike-rack 75kg max 2 persons front and 1 Passenger back
GT max bikes and bike-rack 75kg max 2 persons front and 0 passengers back

F4656E28-530E-421A-8F5C-4496E16506B3.jpeg
29F4CDA4-EA54-4594-867F-BBE5B4CE595B.jpeg

For me no problem, could be though!
Ford has been very conservative with their roof loading limits (vs competitors) on all of their SUV/CUV since the Explorer rollover scandal in the mid-2000s. Their goal, I believe, has been to limit weight in locations that significantly raise the CoG so as to limit their exposure in a rollover accident. I’d say that, versus structural capacity, is the reason for the 75kg/150lb roof limits. My 2020 Explorer with the panoramic roof has an even lower 20kg roof rack published capacity (not including factory crossbars).

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ford has been very conservative with their roof loading limits (vs competitors) on all of their SUV/CUV since the Explorer rollover scandal in the mid-2000s. Their goal, I believe, has been to limit weight in locations that significantly raise the CoG so as to limit their exposure in a rollover accident. I’d say that, versus structural capacity, is the reason for the 75kg/150lb roof limits. My 2020 Explorer with the panoramic roof has an even lower 20kg roof rack published capacity (not including factory crossbars).
I think a receiver hitch & bike rack is a far better way to go....
+ aero better
+ easier to load/unload
+ hitch provides 'reasonable' emergency rear tow points
- ... but is not encouraged/endorsed by Ford AT ALL for towing

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
just a little update to show my car 'at work'.... I use my little utility trailer probably once a week or so to pick up materials, or deliver stuff to job sites.... like this little 'off-grid generator' set-up.... a 400watt solar module, and a rolling toolbox with 2kWhr battery, charge controller, and 3000watt inverter

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY install TorkLift hitch for bike rack, etc eponyExpress delivery Solar Generator
Sponsored