Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
My tests have revealed that the glass panoramic roof is a significant heat loss in extreme cold temperatures (below -5ºF/-20ºC). To help improve cabin heat levels, I fitted a piece of Reflectix® reflective insulation in the glass roof, and found it improves cabin temps by 6-10ºF (3-5ºC) at -15ºF (-26ºC) outside. I estimated this is the equivalent of adding a 550W heater at those temps (effect is less pronounced at warmer temps). Subjectively the cabin feels much less drafty and my legs stay much warmer when it's very cold. I already did a scientific comparison test to determine the effects of the Reflectix®, for more details read about it here: Reflectix Panoramic Roof Insulation Test

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY: Reflectix Roof Insulation to Reduce Heat Loss in Cold Temperatures Mach-E Reflectix Roof

Mach-E's in the northern USA and Canada that are having issues with not enough heat may consider doing this. Reflectix® or similar is widely available in most home improvement stores. It can be described as bubble wrap compounded with a layer of reflective Mylar, which functions as a radiant barrier. Meaning the Mylar reflects infrared heat back into the cabin rather than losing it through the glass. The way it's installed is worth an R-value of 3.0, which doesn't seem like much, but compared to glass (R-value 0.66) it's a big improvement (5x less heat loss).

You will need:
  • 3 x 4 ft piece of Reflectix® (you may need to buy a big roll)
  • Legal paper (8.5 x 14" or bigger) for templates
  • Pencil / Marker
  • Scissors
  • Tape measure
  • Gift wrap tape or window film tape
Since I couldn't find a template for the glass roof, I had to make my own with papers to get the shape of the curves at the front and the back. Shove the paper into the corner against the glass, and use your thumbnail to crease the corner along the headliner to get the shape:

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY: Reflectix Roof Insulation to Reduce Heat Loss in Cold Temperatures Paper Template

Take it down and cut along the crease you made, then tape it back up in the same spot. I made a tape loop on top of the paper to hold it up. Overlap the next paper by several inches and repeat cutting and alignment. Tape the pieces of paper together firmly to make one wide piece at the front and the back. I used 3 papers across the front and 3 across the back. At this point you will have a front and a back template taped flat to the glass.

Once that looks good, you'll need to make reference measurements to locate the front and back templates with the correct spacing later. Have a helper sit in the front seat and hold the tape measure against the headliner in 3 spots (see below). Have them mark a dot on the paper at the end of the tape and hold the tape measure at that point. Next, you're in the back seat marking measurement lines and writing the measurements on the paper. Also do at least one diagonal measurement for horizontal placement. Go through and double check you get the same measurements again before carefully taking the template papers down. Be careful not to rip them. I used the minimum amount of tape to hold them up to make removal easier.

Now cut a 3 ft x 4 ft piece of Reflectix® and place your templates on it:

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY: Reflectix Roof Insulation to Reduce Heat Loss in Cold Temperatures Template Placement

Flip the sheet so the edges naturally want to curl up off the ground instead of down (makes installation easier). I used boxes to hold the edges down. You will need to spend some time carefully adjusting the positions of the front and back templates relative to each other until you can recreate the measurements you made while they were on the glass. Tape them to the panel when satisfied. The front is slightly wider than the rear. I basically just centered them on the sheet as close as possible and made sure my measurements were still true. The measurements might be off slightly because of the curvature of the glass, just do your best to recreate them.

I drew straight lines for the sides to connect the front and back. The headliner actually bows out slightly (maybe 3/8" in the middle on each side), so it's up to you if you want to try that or not. I just cut the sides straight and ended up with some gaps along the sides, close enough for me.

Once you are satisfied, trace your templates with a marker, remove and SAVE them, then cut it out. I used isopropyl alcohol and cotton to remove the remnants of the marker on the foil so it wouldn't transfer and stain my white headliner.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY: Reflectix Roof Insulation to Reduce Heat Loss in Cold Temperatures Reflectix Cut

Now go do a test fit, trim any edges as necessary. Mine was pretty close within 1/4" on the first try. After that, you are going to want to put a bunch of tape on the top side to hold it up. Use tape that is easy to remove from glass and doesn't leave residue. Put a tape piece about every 8" around the entire perimeter, and about every 14" in the middle. I did a bunch of tape rolls.

Once you have your tape situated, carefully go in through the back door and stick the front center first, then move to the back. Reposition if necessary. If that looks good, then press/spread from the center to the sides. That's it, enjoy your extra heat!

WARNING: DO NOT LEAVE Reflextix in the window, remove by early March before the sun gets strong to avoid damaging the glass. WINTER USE ONLY. It is not necessary in the summer.

Last edited:

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Nice! Certainly looks like it would work. I think I'd find myself having issues with the strong metal and reflection feel on the roof above my head. I suppose one would get used to it. I've used the 3M Command strips a lot lately hanging wall pictures. They leave no residue when removed and are very strong, so wonder if they would work well and hold it tightly in place.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Nice! Certainly looks like it would work. I think I'd find myself having issues with the strong metal and reflection feel on the roof above my head. I suppose one would get used to it. I've used the 3M Command strips a lot lately hanging wall pictures. They leave no residue when removed and are very strong, so wonder if they would work well and hold it tightly in place.
Honestly I don't even see the Reflectix most days. I have to deliberately look up to see it. It would only be noticeable if you were a rear passenger.

3M Command strips are way too strong for this and would damage something like the inside coating. Plus you couldn't put them in the middle. Gift wrap tape or window film tape is plenty to keep it up, it's just a plastic sheet of bubble wrap essentially.

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
My tests have revealed that the glass panoramic roof is a significant heat loss in extreme cold temperatures (below -5ºF/-20ºC). To help improve cabin heat levels, I fitted a piece of Reflectix® reflective insulation in the glass roof, and found it improves cabin temps by 6-10ºF (3-5ºC) at -15ºF (-26ºC) outside. I estimated this is the equivalent of adding a 550W heater at those temps (effect is less pronounced at warmer temps). Subjectively the cabin feels much less drafty and my legs stay much warmer when it's very cold. I already did a scientific comparison test to determine the effects of the Reflectix®, for more details read about it here: Reflectix Panoramic Roof Insulation Test

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY: Reflectix Roof Insulation to Reduce Heat Loss in Cold Temperatures Reflectix Cut

Mach-E's in the northern USA and Canada that are having issues with not enough heat may consider doing this. Reflectix® or similar is widely available in most home improvement stores. It can be described as bubble wrap compounded with a layer of reflective Mylar, which functions as a radiant barrier. Meaning the Mylar reflects infrared heat back into the cabin rather than losing it through the glass. The way it's installed is worth an R-value of 3.0, which doesn't seem like much, but compared to glass (R-value 0.66) it's a big improvement (5x less heat loss).

You will need:
  • 3 x 4 ft piece of Reflectix® (you may need to buy a big roll)
  • Legal paper (8.5 x 14" or bigger) for templates
  • Pencil / Marker
  • Scissors
  • Tape measure
  • Gift wrap tape or window film tape
Since I couldn't find a template for the glass roof, I had to make my own with papers to get the shape of the curves at the front and the back. Shove the paper into the corner against the glass, and use your thumbnail to crease the corner along the headliner to get the shape:

Take it down and cut along the crease you made, then tape it back up in the same spot. I made a tape loop on top of the paper to hold it up. Overlap the next paper by several inches and repeat cutting and alignment. Tape the pieces of paper together firmly to make one wide piece at the front and the back. I used 3 papers across the front and 3 across the back. At this point you will have a front and a back template taped flat to the glass.

Once that looks good, you'll need to make reference measurements to locate the front and back templates with the correct spacing later. Have a helper sit in the front seat and hold the tape measure against the headliner in 3 spots (see below). Have them mark a dot on the paper at the end of the tape and hold the tape measure at that point. Next, you're in the back seat marking measurement lines and writing the measurements on the paper. Also do at least one diagonal measurement for horizontal placement. Go through and double check you get the same measurements again before carefully taking the template papers down. Be careful not to rip them. I used the minimum amount of tape to hold them up to make removal easier.

Now cut a 3 ft x 4 ft piece of Reflectix® and place your templates on it:

Flip the sheet so the edges naturally want to curl up off the ground instead of down (makes installation easier). I used boxes to hold the edges down. You will need to spend some time carefully adjusting the positions of the front and back templates relative to each other until you can recreate the measurements you made while they were on the glass. Tape them to the panel when satisfied. The front is slightly wider than the rear. I basically just centered them on the sheet as close as possible and made sure my measurements were still true. The measurements might be off slightly because of the curvature of the glass, just do your best to recreate them.

I drew straight lines for the sides to connect the front and back. The headliner actually bows out slightly (maybe 3/8" in the middle on each side), so it's up to you if you want to try that or not. I just cut the sides straight and ended up with some gaps along the sides, close enough for me.

Once you are satisfied, trace your templates with a marker, remove and SAVE them, then cut it out. I used isopropyl alcohol and cotton to remove the remnants of the marker on the foil so it wouldn't transfer and stain my white headliner.

Now go do a test fit, trim any edges as necessary. Mine was pretty close within 1/4" on the first try. After that, you are going to want to put a bunch of tape on the top side to hold it up. Use tape that is easy to remove from glass and doesn't leave residue. Put a tape piece about every 8" around the entire perimeter, and about every 14" in the middle. I did a bunch of tape rolls.

Once you have your tape situated, carefully go in through the back door and stick the front center first, then move to the back. Reposition if necessary. If that looks good, then press/spread from the center to the sides. That's it, enjoy your extra heat!

WARNING: DO NOT LEAVE Reflextix in the window, remove by early March before the sun gets strong to avoid damaging the glass. WINTER USE ONLY. It is not necessary in the summer.
nice write up! does this reduce wind noise also?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Everyone knows it's much easier to simply go south... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Interesting how the glass doesn't let heat in, but does let cold in.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Hmmm... Maybe I’ll get some and put it between the ceiling and the headliner. 🤔🐩

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have the Summertime black mesh insert and it comes with a reflective very thin added optional white overlayer for very sunny days, and with about 8 or 10 black plastic no-damage clips to hold everything up... I think perhaps putting the Reflectix (or eq.) layer above the black Summertime mesh might work for quick in & out Arctic weather installs, without using tape. Also, the black mesh might give a good enough template to cut the Reflectix.

All in all, a very inventive approach Mach-Lee!

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I understand that modern insulated house windows also have two ratings, one for rejecting (most) heat from the outside and one for reducing heat transmission out. Something to do with different wavelengths for insolation (heat coming in) and re-radiation (heat leaving). Both ratings have four letters and one starts with an S.

It's been a while since I rebuilt our 1930s house and my memory has dumped most such details.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
I promise I'm not crazy...
I dunno. Humans are a bit crazy. I mean, why don’t you sniff each other’s butts as a greeting? 🤪🐩

Steph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 MME PREMIUM AWD ER
Country flag
The Mach-e feels cool in cold/winter months. Curious what impact the roof has on that. I’m retrospect I may not have gotten the glass roof if it were an option since it’s hardly noticeable from the driver’s seat.
I’ve wondered if some of the lighter weight roof shades wouldn’t hurt. This is a great idea, thanks!

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
How effective would this be if some of the glass were to remain exposed along the edges? I'm wondering if someone's edge work didn't come out quite as well as yours did, maybe one of the sunroof shades could be used to conceal it.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Every time I read a thread where people complain about the cold weather performance of the MME I am more thankful that I live somewhere where I have never experienced any of the problems I see listed.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Different heat.

Radiation vs conduction vs convection.

If you had a mini sun inside the car keeping you warm….. might work.

That said, I wonder if it’s full sun during the day if the OPs idea actually hurts you since it blocks the heat from the sun even more.
Sponsored