stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
@AOSK can you help? How about an interior reflective sunshade that looks better, with some padding for insulation?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have the Summertime black mesh insert and it comes with a reflective very thin added optional white overlayer for very sunny days, and with about 8 or 10 black plastic no-damage clips to hold everything up... I think perhaps putting the Reflectix (or eq.) layer above the black Summertime mesh might work for quick in & out Arctic weather installs, without using tape. Also, the black mesh might give a good enough template to cut the Reflectix.
I’ve wondered if some of the lighter weight roof shades wouldn’t hurt. This is a great idea, thanks!
FYI the reflective surface must remain exposed for it to function correctly reflecting heat. If you cover the surface with cloth, that will reduce the R value from 3.0 to 1.0 since it will no longer reflect heat. You need a minimum air gap of about 3/4" in front of the reflective surface for it to work as a radiant barrier. Draping a cloth 3/4" below or more would be the only way to hide it. For more information, read about how radiant barriers work.

So again, do not cover the Reflectix with anything because it will ruin the effectiveness. You just have to live with the ugly if you want to be warm. Like I said before, I don't even see it most days. Plus I think it looks cool/technical like some of the stuff I've worked with.

How effective would this be if some of the glass were to remain exposed along the edges? I'm wondering if someone's edge work didn't come out quite as well as yours did, maybe one of the sunroof shades could be used to conceal it.
The amount of heat gain is proportional to the area covered. So if you had small gaps around the edges, you would be at 99% effectiveness instead of 100%. Therefore small gaps aren't a big deal. Also, it does expand and contract with temperature, so having some smalls gaps will prevent it from bowing when it warms up. See above for why you don't want to cover it with anything.

That said, I wonder if it’s full sun during the day if the OPs idea actually hurts you since it blocks the heat from the sun even more.
Solar gain here in winter is not very much with the low sun angle (<30Âş) and very short days, so we aren't missing out on much. Because the sun angle is so low, most of the heat gain would come through the side windows in winter, not the roof. Plus the roof glass has coatings that block solar heat gain.

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
FYI the reflective surface must remain exposed for it to function correctly reflecting heat. If you cover the surface with cloth, that will reduce the R value from 3.0 to 1.0 since it will no longer reflect heat. You need a minimum air gap of about 3/4" in front of the reflective surface for it to work as a radiant barrier. Draping a cloth 3/4" below or more would be the only way to hide it. QUOTE]
Fair enough... although I note that your chosen barrier appears to have both closed air cells as well as a reflective surface.

Obviously, both add to the heat retention. The cells also would seem to add to the relative rigidity of the Reflectix sheet that a single thin reflective layer would lack.

Reflectance can also be gained with a single layer of reflecting material. A space blanket comes to mind.

This makes me wonder what effect at which temperature gradients a closed cell layer would have, vice a thin reflectance layer by itself. Either approach could potentially use the high Summer aftermarket pano glass shades as a load bearing structure.

These thoughts are theoretical. Not reliably cold enough where we live... maybe for Winter travel.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Solar gain here in winter is not very much with the low sun angle (<30Âş) and very short days
I find a great deal of heat is generated, even in winter's low sun angle, when the car is parked directly to the south with windshield facing south. The angle of the windshield greatly increases that sun angle allowed to come in, plus seats and interior will absorb sunlight and warm up.

I normally park adjacent to the north side of building, so don't get any sun in winter. However, I will intentionally park facing south and farther away on cold sunny days so as to allow the sun to do its magic and warm the cabin up. This little strategy can do a lot for cabin warmth as well. Even cloudy days will have some level of solar energy through the windshield. Today, the sun is at 34 degrees at solar noon! I find this site useful - Time and Date | Sunrise & Sunset:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/cedar-rapids

And with @Mach-Lee 's heat reflector, it could get quite toasty inside even in winter facing south on cold sunny days.

Last edited:

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
@AOSK can you help? How about an interior reflective sunshade that looks better, with some padding for insulation?
Nice project!
its probably too late for us to make something now, the winter probably past already when our inventory arrive the amazon warehouse.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Nice project!
its probably too late for us to make something now, the winter probably past already when our inventory arrive the amazon warehouse.
How about for next year? Maybe a year-round design that would block light/heat in the summer? Maybe not reflective if it has a high enough R-value?

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
How about for next year? Maybe a year-round design that would block light/heat in the summer? Maybe not reflective if it has a high enough R-value?
We recently made one on the Rivian, and Owners quite like them. and we are now making one for the Mach E(a two layer sunshade, one mesh layer and one sliver coated layer). but the sliver coated layer we made supposed to go on top of the mesh layer to reflect the sun light, not sure if we could have them on the bottom to surve the purpose OP discussed in this thread, we will definitely try it out.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve used sunshades from The Heatshield Store in a number of vehicles with great results. The set for the MME includes one for the roof. I usually leave the rear doors in because it’s rare that someone rides back there. If you have to park outside in a hot climate they are great.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I first learned to shield my glass roof on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, while driving I was chilled and by closing the cover I was comfortable.

For the Mach e I could reach up and feel the cold radiating from the roof so I ordered one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09PHNF381?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I now don't feel the cold when I place my hand against the roof.
I recommend you flip that one around so the shiny silver surface is facing inside during the winter which reflects the radiant heat back into the car. If the silver is facing outside it will reflect out some of the heat the sun brings in and be marginally effective reflecting the heat back into the car.

Actually it might work better than having a reflective surface on both sides because the white side will absorb more of the sun. I bet a black surface facing out and silver reflective surface facing in would be the best setup for the winter.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I recommend you flip that one around so the shiny silver surface is facing inside during the winter which reflects the radiant heat back into the car. If the silver is facing outside it will reflect out some of the heat the sun brings in and be marginally effective reflecting the heat back into the car.

Actually it might work better than having a reflective surface on both sides because the white side will absorb more of the sun. I bet a black surface facing out and silver reflective surface facing in would be the best setup for the winter.
It's actually two pieces, the reflective panel and then the decorative panel.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
This would make me feel like a backing potato in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil. Here in the south heat loss not that big of an issue. Besides, all the other windows probably have around twice the area of the glass roof.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I know with our Edge with the Panoramic roof, closing the shade on cold winter days makes a huge difference for keeping your upper body warm. If a gas car struggles to maintain warm comfort with a glass roof, I can only imagine the Mach E is even more so.

Scc18603

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 22 Mach e rwd, red. 17 CTS, 22 Jeep GC
Occupation
Technology director
Country flag
I use similar stuff to help cool our motorhome. It is usually behind a curtain so you don’t see it as I don’t think it is very attractive. I guess it would help in the winter too, but we are fair weather glampers.

The roof is one of the main reasons I purchased a select. If it had a retractable shade or made a functional sunroof I would feel differently. To me if it cannot open I have no use for it.

I personally think if you have to do things that retract from the appearance of the car to make it more functional there was an inherent design issue. After owning the Cadillac, and the Grand Cherokee Summit I expect more from a 50,000+ car.

I bought the car to enjoy, and not to reengineer for ford. None of us are being given our cars for feedback.

Did ford not take the car in cold climates and test it?

So my question is when you give someone a ride and they see the solar blanket over your head, what do they say and think? Glad I didn’t buy and electric car they are freezing to death trying to drive. They have a solar blanket on the roof and they don’t run the heat because it will use half the Tank / Charge.

Do you give your riders blankets too.

This is wild. Again I love my car, and I will buy some stuff for it, but we all need to tell Ford. Come On. Man!
Sponsored