MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Grey, 2023 GT Vapor Blue
Country flag
This is a lengthy tutorial with photos showing how I added my dash cam and radar detector to my Mach-E

A few points before we get started:

• While this is not a difficult project, it is not for the faint of heart. Messing with a brand new car could potentially void your warranty or cause more serious problems.
  • There are sharp metal edges behind all of the pretty stuff - wear gloves!
  • This is my fifth or sixth vehicle doing similar upgrades. The rest were 2 BMW's, an Audi, a Tesla model S, and 2 Subarus. This car was by far the easiest to do but that also could be because I have more experience.
  • Never pry plastic panels with a screwdriver. Either use your fingers or a simple plastic pry set similar to this one on Amazon:
  • When you do pry these plastic components with your fingers or a pry tool, occasionally the little plastic retaining clips may break. While you can buy these from Ford, AutoZone sells them in bunches of three or four at half the price. I found out the hard way that Tesla was charging large sums of money for clips that I could easily have purchased for a Subaru at less than $.50 a pop.

Obtaining switched and constant 12 V power

The radar detector needs a switched 12 V power supply and the dash cam needs both a switched 12 V supply and a constant 12 V supply to record problems while the car is parked. In previous vehicles, I had no trouble finding both switched and constant power somewhere in the overhead mirror compartment but could only find switched on this car.

I also do not like to overly strain the built-in wires. When possible, I prefer to run new circuits from the fuse box up to the windshield to power both toys. That is what I did in this case. There is a fuse box behind the passenger kick panel. With a little experimentation, I found high capacity circuits of both types. Page 278 of the owners manual will show you how to remove that kick plate.

From page 279 of the owners manual:

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic1

While I previously would simply tap into an existing wire, I like my toys to have their own fuses in case something goes wrong. I recently started using these "add a tap" products to make tapping-in easier and safer. The existing fuse gets moved into the bottom slot and a new 2.5 amp fuse goes to my toys.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector merge2

The physically smaller fuse it is called a Micro 2 and the larger one is called a Micro 3.

Here are the links for the add-a-taps:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082YZWSSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8R2T7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I normally have extra three conductor wire around the house however I had to purchase some for this project. I normally like 20 gauge wire but somehow accidentally bought 22 gauge wire. This is definitely capable of carrying enough power for these two small devices.

Routing Wires

I was able to easily route this wire up towards the mirror housing. First I removed this side panel using a small plastic pry tool. It is held on by six plastic clips:

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic4

Next, I carefully pried off the A column cover with the pry tools. There is an airbag in here. Any wires you run must go behind the airbag. I prefer to zip tie them to ensure they do not fall in front of the airbag.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic5

I next removed the cover over the mirror housing. I did this with gentle finger pressure pulling downward to release the 5 clips.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic6

Next, I connected the appropriate switched power to my radar detector, switched and constant to the dash cam plug and both to negative. I prefer to solder all wires and cover with shrink wrap tubing. I also have serious OCD therefore labeled everything however in this picture you cannot read the labels because they are facing away from you. Red is constant, green is switched and the white is my negative.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic 7

I almost forgot, speaking about the negative lead, I could not find a good metal anchoring point anywhere in that fuse box. Everything is plastic in there. Therefore, I found a nice piece of steel in that side compartment below the A column. There were two round holes. I took a metal machine screw, washer and nut and fastened the raw white wire directly to that piece of the frame. Again, with the OCD, I used thread locker liquid on the bolt to ensure it never came loose accidentally.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic 8

At this point, I connected the red and green leads to the add-a-taps below in the fuse box, plugged everything in, and made sure everything worked as I expected with the car on and off.

Connection to Rear Camera

The next step was to run the video lead to the rear camera. Fortunately, the ceiling liner is not strongly attached to the roof as in the other cars I had to work on. Simply pull down gently using a pry tool to work under the rubber gasket. Going between the front and rear doors around the B column required a little work. Instead of using my fish tape, I took a small diameter wire hanger to thread the wire through. Once the wire hanger is visible on both ends, I simply used electrical tape and pulled it through. Note: I could not pry the B column cover off easily and didn't want to risk breaking anything. Likewise, going to the trunk, the plastic holding the liner in place felt too sturdy and I simply used fish tape to pull the wire all the way into the trunk.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector pic9

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic10

To make the job as neat as possible, I also pried off the plastic cover noted in the photo above. It is held on by six retaining clips. I then mounted the rear camera as high up as possible on the window.

Normally, I would run the wire to the rear camera through the "boot" between the main compartment and the hatch. This is the first car that I was not able to do so. The boot is sufficiently deep under the liner and into the hatch, that no amount of manipulation with fish tape would let me get a string through there. Therefore, I will have that little bit of wire hanging down between the liner and the hatch on the right side but it is not visible when I look in the rearview mirror.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Pic11

Once that was done, it was simply a matter of putting everything back together. The only difficult part was getting the A column to sit properly. Work slowly. There is a vent built into that column that has to be seated at the base in order for the column to fit properly.

The final result:

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector Merge4

Please write with any questions. I am happy to help out anyone trying a similar project.

Jeff

ckelley87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold: 2021 Premium Extended RWD, Job 1
Country flag
Jeff, this is fantastic. Thank you, it gave me the confidence to install my own dash cam this way. My biggest issue is the A column cover, how the hell did you get that back on? It’s driving me nuts, I don’t believe anything else is obstructed but the two clips up top are just not letting me in far enough to close it up. Any words of wisdom?

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector 2528E0E5-7B99-4CEE-B3BC-4922BF2ECE6A

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector DE74CB19-1BC6-42CE-965C-44EACFC7EA8D

Edit: Be smarter than me: pull the black clips out and then attach them to the A column cover, it'll then snap right into the other piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jeff, this is fantastic. Thank you, it gave me the confidence to install my own dash cam this way. My biggest issue is the A column cover, how the hell did you get that back on? It’s driving me nuts, I don’t believe anything else is obstructed but the two clips up top are just not letting me in far enough to close it up. Any words of wisdom?
As you can see if you completely remove the A-Column, there is a male vent coming up from below that has to sit in the female part on the A column. Gently work to get those 2 to join as much as possible below and then the 2 fasteners will fit better. I sweated quite a few bullets at this step.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here are a couple of more pics showing the location of the small cabin fuse box (passenger seat front floor pan, up towards the firewall). I had to drop the little panel above (two push pins forward edge) to get the fuse cover off. Note the two relatively large tabs that go through the rectangular openings at the top of the fuse panel. Must have been a post inspection rattle, because there was some felt over the tabs that was a little folded.

Study the pictures, because it is important to realize that the back of the fuse cover does not unsnap from the panel above, rather those long tabs slide through the rectangular openings. Trying to force the fuse cover down would break the rectangular hooks.
Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector IMG-1625

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector IMG-1627

Last edited:

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Great write up. What camera setup did you use?

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was going to reuse an old Thinkware F750. However, I decided to splurge and went for a new Blackvue DR900X-2Ch.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Thanks. I take it one needs the optional hardwire cable for full functionality?

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. The 'tutorial' shows how to wire both the 'batt' and Acc' power connections.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Let me know if you experience impeded radar functionality due to the metallic glass. I'm fairly certain it's impeded. Mine definitely seems to be.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Let me know if you experience impeded radar functionality due to the metallic glass. I'm fairly certain it's impeded. Mine definitely seems to be.
Mine barely works unless I hold it way up at the top where the dots on the windshield are. I didn't bother installing one in this car though. I drive slow in it :D

Good write up, but I just wired my dashcam into the mirror circuit. Plenty of power and it works great. Took 2 minutes. Only downside is dashcam powers down 1 minute after turning off the car instead of 11 minutes after leaving the car like it would on the lighting circuit or just accessory delay circuit.

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
Great tutorial, thanks!

I have an Aukey DR2 (1080p dual cam) that I had similarly wired into my last car (Stinger GT2) and am wondering if I want to put it in the MME when I get it or upgrade to something nicer. In any case, I will bookmark this thread for reference.

I'm curious to hear how you like the DR900X and how well its parking/sentry type mode works.

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only downside is dashcam powers down 1 minute after turning off the car instead of 11 minutes
That is why I wire it the way I do. I have had too many cowards deface vehicles in the past.

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
DEFINITE decreased sensitivity!!! My next tutorial may be a step-by-step how to install a remote radar detector in the bumper :)

'am curious to hear how you like the DR900X and how well its parking/sentry type mode works.
My previous 3 dashcams were Thinkware brand. I was happy with them. When it came to buying this one, the BlackVue had better stats/$. I am VERY happy with it. Not too sensitive for events while parked.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
DEFINITE decreased sensitivity!!! My next tutorial may be a step-by-step how to install a remote radar detector in the bumper :)
Are you referring to a built in detector, or something that will work with my existing equipment?
Sponsored