Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I purposely bought a Mach E because it was the anti-Tesla. The Mach E is a very comfortable car to drive and has all of the expected comforts and features of a great car. I'm also a big fan of Ford having previously owned 4 Mustangs, an Explorer, Expedition and a Navigator. However, I almost bought a Tesla, I put a down payment on the Model 3 when it was announced. I was early enough that I would have received the $7500 rebate. I wanted an electric car but couldn't bring myself to like the stark, sterile computer room type feel I got when sitting inside the car. Especially that white interior. I felt like the old man in the white room at the end of "2001: A Space Odyssey." Once I got that feeling I could never get it out of my mind. I'm so glad that the Mach E came along.

Yes, Tesla might have the best technology and, as a technologist with a Computer Science degree, I love technology. But when I'm driving the car I only want comfort and convenience. And the Mach E provides both of those.

Would BlueCruise be nice? Yes. Will I use it a lot? No, not really. I have everything I want in a car with the Mach E the way it is. I'm not going to fret or stress about future items over which I have no control. I'll just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Literally!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
In my neck of the woods the Tesla is the new Toyota Corolla. They're everywhere. And, they're not a very attractive car.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
have you looked into openpilot? I suspect it won't be long before it can fully integrate with the mme and do all the same stuff without subscriptions.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
In my neck of the woods the Tesla is the new Toyota Corolla. They're everywhere. And, they're not a very attractive car.
same here, teslas are everywhere. I just can't bring myself to put money in the pocket of musk. I love the S and X but the 3 and Y are exceedingly blah in the design dept.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
have you looked into openpilot? I suspect it won't be long before it can fully integrate with the mme and do all the same stuff without subscriptions.
Interesting point. When BlueCruise does come out, I suspect some of the early adopters are going to pass for this very reason.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I just returned home from the north Dallas area. Model 3s everywhere, mostly white. - I guess the color up-charge isn't popular.

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
It's unlikely I'll modify my car with open source software. Should there be an accident caused by the software I suspect a lot of finger pointing would be going on between Ford and OpenPilot. Eventually those fingers will be pointed at me for modifying the car.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
The other day I came up to a stop sign, 2 Teslas stopped behind me, and another Tesla turned from the side and went by. They are getting to be everywhere as you say.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
same here, teslas are everywhere. I just can't bring myself to put money in the pocket of musk. I love the S and X but the 3 and Y are exceedingly blah in the design dept.
Same in central PA I cant go from point A to point B without seeing at least 1 Tesla. They are opening a large dealership. They took over a huge building it should be open in a few months. Didn't know they had dealerships only showrooms this is a massive building and parking area so maybe they are changing too.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
The other day I came up to a stop sign, 2 Teslas stopped behind me, and another Tesla turned from the side and went by. They are getting to be everywhere as you say.
Like if you spill something sugary on the counter and the next morning there are ants everywhere

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It's unlikely I'll modify my car with open source software. Should there be an accident caused by the software I suspect a lot of finger pointing would be going on between Ford and OpenPilot. Eventually those fingers will be pointed at me for modifying the car.
No, comma.ai won't engage in any finger pointing with Ford - it has always claimed OpenPilot is for "research" purpose only and never meant to be used as it is used by consumers (wink, wink). Nor would Ford, as it has nothing to do with them. When owners who can afford $60K cars complain about hundreds of dollars in BlueCruise subscription cost, I hope they realize their potential liabilities in the event of an accident is much much higher.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
As a corollastan, oh yeah no such thing.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Here in Colorado, it's Suburus and Teslas that are everywhere. I live in SUVville here and was told that 80% of the houses here have an SUV or a Suburu.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Yes, Tesla might have the best technology and, as a technologist with a Computer Science degree, I love technology. But when I'm driving the car I only want comfort and convenience. And the Mach E provides both of those.

Would BlueCruise be nice? Yes. Will I use it a lot? No, not really. I have everything I want in a car with the Mach E the way it is. I'm not going to fret or stress about future items over which I have no control. I'll just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Literally!
I completely agree with your comments, but I disagree that the MME isn't high tech. Here are some examples:
  1. Start or stop the car from anywhere in the world
  2. Lock/Unlock and start the car all while having the phone in my pocket
  3. Customize and adjust dozens of in car features and functions
  4. OTA Updates
  5. Self parking
  6. Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping
  7. Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play
  8. Wireless charging mat
Don't get me wrong many of these features are found in other cars as well. However not many have all of them until you get to a much higher price point. I for one have never had a car with this much modern tech built in, nor most of my friends and family. As a software developer and tech enthusiast I have pretty high expectations in those areas. Does the MME have some short comings (mostly software) when it comes to their tech, sure, but I certainly think it is far ahead of most cars on the road.

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Same in central PA I cant go from point A to point B without seeing at least 1 Tesla. They are opening a large dealership. They took over a huge building it should be open in a few months. Didn't know they had dealerships only showrooms this is a massive building and parking area so maybe they are changing too.

On my cul-de-sac of 10 homes there are 7 EVs. 5 of them are Teslas.

Consider this: There are about 1 million EVs in the US. About 250,000 of them are within 150 miles of my house in SoCal. I can see 10 Teslas on my way to the supermarket that is only a mile away.
Sponsored