Do not buy a Mach E if you're expecting a high tech car

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
What happens in 2-3 years when Mach-E and F-150L are more common and your car is no longer unique in your area?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Do not buy a Mach E if you're expecting a high tech car 3BA184E2-83C2-47BF-8F11-C5ABCEA30A89

Kidding aside, it certainly is something that will diminish over time for the Mach-E as you correctly point out. Ford will try and keep it fresh with new colors and special editions and a refresh, but it won’t make up for the rarity that exists now.

Actually if Tesla would do the same, I think it would help keep their models fresh too, but so far a reluctance to do this. Maybe when they are a bit more established they will, though IMO they should now before it becomes a problem. Would be nice to see the Model S with a grill again, sometimes change for the sake of change is worth it to keep things interesting.
Sponsored

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I'm in the area and have a MME. We are probably the only ones in the area. It has been a month and I have not seen another.
Not sure if the Cape counts as SE MA but I don’t think I’ve seen any MMEs there though we see lots of Teslas. And there don’t seem to be lots of MME compatible chargers in that area.

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The MME can close in on Tesla (as it stands today) in terms of tech, except for the computer vision-assisted Autopilot/FSD and to some extent, battery technology. The remaining gap can be closed with additional HW (not expensive) and half-decent SW to control and connect them - none of which is too difficult to implement by MY2023. Ford's inefficient corporate process could be the only deterrent, IMO.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
There also is the factor of whether the various functions are useful to you. A dumb example: why pay for a high end stereo if you don't listen to the radio?

We must think of all the functions each model offers and if we will actually use them day after day. It seems that those may be a model differentiator.... If you won't use all the games and movies maybe a Tesla isn't for you, for example.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Although owners have been modifying cars for decades, not to mention that cars have had computers for 30+ years, and consumers have found ways to reprogram those computers. I'm sure there's a ton of precedent (decades worth) for insurance coverage and liability for reprogrammed and otherwise modified cars.
Right, but none of those modifications were made with the intent of making the vehicle “autonomous” (whatever that may mean). I could see a lawyer having a field day with that. For example, going after the manufacturer (remember, go after the deepest pockets) for not putting in sufficient safeguards to prevent tampering with key safety systems (and steering, braking, and acceleration would qualify as such) ?

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Not sure if the Cape counts as SE MA but I don’t think I’ve seen any MMEs there though we see lots of Teslas. And there don’t seem to be lots of MME compatible chargers in that area.
These PlugShare maps are more Eastern MA than SE but they show the Cape.

Above 120kw superchargers—24 sites, CCS—15 in the shown area.

However:
50kw & higher CCS—63 sites
50kw & higher Tesla compatible—28
sites.

78304D03-375D-48E0-B836-859C7F56A677.png

FC7837CF-FF37-4925-A105-8AFE2A7C87B4.png

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
Coming from an ICE vehicle, the MME just made the transition easier. That was smart on Ford's part. We drove a model Y and 3, but the starkness of the dash was a bit much. I like my controls in a familiar spot, rather than doing a "Google search" to find them.

I also don't care for the "only we" can fix your car and no we won't sell you any parts. Tesla is way too controlling in that area.

I appreciate that Tesla has forced others to take on electric vehicles, it'll definitely make for a better market, not to mention getting away from gas vehicles.

As for the tech part, the MME is fine, especially for a daily driver, for most folks. The IT people can fuss about screens and tech speed right now... it'll come with time. The MME is a wonderful car, and that's good enough for me.?

P.S. way better looking than the model Y!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do not buy a Mach E if you're expecting a high tech car IMG_20210708_173910927

FME

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD/EX
Country flag
Apparently it's not OK to belittle Tesla but it is OK to belittle fellow Mach E owners. I get it now.
Obviously you don’t. It’s ridiculous to belittle anyone about a freakin car.
If I’m misunderstanding you, disregard.

dmasteR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi S4
Country flag
Not going to knock Tesla or Musk. I appreciate what has been done to further EVs and show how style, power and adoption could be added to the segment. Any serious interview with Musk (not very common) will show that the motivation and passion for the technology is there.

The Model Y I test drove was very fast and full of technology. It marked low on our list as it was to be a DD for my wife and the inability to tuern off 1-pedal drive made it a n on-starter. While I appreciate all the tech, self-driving, self-parking, etc were not important to us. I feel that any automated tech for safety, crash avoidance, etc was the best use of technology and really would not use the other tech other than a novelty. I hardly ever use cruise control. The MME we bought was without the technology package and extended battery. We just do not need it. I appreciate it, but not for practical reasons.

I did see a demo with a company called Faraday that had a valet/self parking and return to driver function that may sway my opinion a bit, but personally, I am Ok with the level of tech in the MME, even without the technology package.
You can turn off 1 pedal driving on a Tesla though...

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Hertz is initially adding 100,000 Teslas to their fleet. German rental car Miete Deinen is dropping Volkswagen ID models, Porsche Taycan, Skoda Enyaq, and Hyundai Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric. It said these cars had a lot of issues with software, charging, and repairs. They will only be renting Teslas.

They admitted the single most important issue for "novice" EV drivers was just being able to charge their damned car. Something Tesla can handle.

While it may be nifty having the "only" Mach E for miles and miles... Ford needs to start hitting Tesla numbers to succeed. Right now they are surviving on ICE vehicles.
Rental vehicles is a specific use case for people that are generally away from home and dependent on public charging stations, but 80% of EV charging happens at home. It's not surprising that a car rental company that wants to build an EV fleet today would pick the vehicle that has a 10 year head start on EVs and their proprietary public charging stations. This will change in time.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Weird thread. First it was "I'm buying a Ford 'cause they've been making cars for a hundred years! Tesla has only been at it for fifteen. Now the excuse for Ford tech missteps is that Tesla's way head 'cause, well, Tesla's got fifteen years on good ole Ford! The reason I like the Mach E is simple: Ford woke up and just decided to get it done! Sure, it's going to be messy at first, but it's been messy for others as well.

The German electric car rental company, "Miete Deinen" is dropping all EVs EXCEPT Tesla from its line-up: that means Volkswagen ID models, Porsche Taycan, Skoda Enyaq, and Hyundai Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric. They said these cars "... had a lot of issues with software, charging, and repairs." Still!

Also... Tesla is setting the bar for electric vehicles, VW CEO admits (cnbc.com)

Tesla Model 3 Outsells Three Premium German Automakers In Germany (insideevs.com)

Last edited:

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not on new Teslas for the last year or so, which is sort of crazy, people should be able to have the choice.
No Tesla can turn off regen completely. People are confusing the ability to change the brake regen from Standard to Low. That option was removed, so the Standard regen is all you get. Low regen is preferred by some in icy/ winter conditions.

Older vehicles still have the ability to switch to Low regen. Newer ones do not.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
No Tesla can turn off regen completely. People are confusing the ability to change the brake regen from Standard to Low. That option was removed, so the Standard regen is all you get. Low regen is preferred by some in icy/ winter conditions.

Older vehicles still have the ability to switch to Low regen. Newer ones do not.
Really, so you can have your accelerator work similar to an ICE without much slowing when you lift off by turning off regen completely? If so that’s great and would solve a big hesitation to driving a Tesla full time.
Sponsored