Do not buy a Mach E if you're expecting a high tech car

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really, so you can have your accelerator work similar to an ICE without much slowing when you lift off by turning off regen completely? If so that’s great and would solve a big hesitation to driving a Tesla full time.
Yea, in low regen mode it reduces the max regen by 50%.
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Coming from an ICE vehicle, the MME just made the transition easier. That was smart on Ford's part. We drove a model Y and 3, but the starkness of the dash was a bit much. I like my controls in a familiar spot, rather than doing a "Google search" to find them.

I also don't care for the "only we" can fix your car and no we won't sell you any parts. Tesla is way too controlling in that area.

I appreciate that Tesla has forced others to take on electric vehicles, it'll definitely make for a better market, not to mention getting away from gas vehicles.

As for the tech part, the MME is fine, especially for a daily driver, for most folks. The IT people can fuss about screens and tech speed right now... it'll come with time. The MME is a wonderful car, and that's good enough for me.?

P.S. way better looking than the model Y!

IMG_20210708_173910927.jpg
Black wheels on black looks sick ( I have a black one also)!

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Weird thread. First it was "I'm buying a Ford 'cause they've been making cars for a hundred years! Tesla has only been at it for fifteen. Now the excuse for Ford tech missteps is that Tesla's way head 'cause, well, Tesla's got fifteen years on good ole Ford! The reason I like the Mach E is simple: Ford woke up and just decided to get it done! Sure, it's going to be messy at first, but it's been messy for others as well.

The German electric car rental company, "Miete Deinen" is dropping all EVs EXCEPT Tesla from its line-up: that means Volkswagen ID models, Porsche Taycan, Skoda Enyaq, and Hyundai Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric. They said these cars "... had a lot of issues with software, charging, and repairs." Still!

Also... Tesla is setting the bar for electric vehicles, VW CEO admits (cnbc.com)

Tesla Model 3 Outsells Three Premium German Automakers In Germany (insideevs.com)
Never heard of this rental company. But I do recall another German rental company Nextmove had issues with Tesla's quality and dropped it. What does that imply?
https://www.chargedfleet.com/338492/german-rental-agency-cancels-tesla-order

if I need a computer slapped on 4 wheels, I will get a Tesla. If I need a car, I'll look elsewhere.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
You can turn off 1 pedal driving on a Tesla though...
According to the rep after our test drive that function has been disabled. Early models had it, but it was removed. It may have changed since July, but that was our understanding. I was expecting the option to turn off, rep said that it was done to insure target range estimates.

Next filter for us was fed tax credit and state rebate, for which a Tesla would be out of scope, so unlikely it would have risen on our preference list.

I liked everything else about the Tesla.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not on new Teslas for the last year or so, which is sort of crazy, people should be able to have the choice.
Thank you for confirming.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea, in low regen mode it reduces the max regen by 50%.
Side effect of 1 pedal being a very jerky experience for those not used to driving in that mode. It takes weeks to get used to we were told. Very hard braking even on highway, so much so, it cause us to be nauseous on our test drive. We have yet to enable it on our Mach-E, but I agree there should be a choice.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Side effect of 1 pedal being a very jerky experience for those not used to driving in that mode. It takes weeks to get used to we were told. Very hard braking even on highway, so much so, it cause us to be nauseous on our test drive. We have yet to enable it on our Mach-E, but I agree there should be a choice.
For people that can drive manual vehicles, the transition is easy. Took me 2 days. Took my wife about the same. I think those that are accustomed to driving auto struggle with it and they don't feather off the accelerator. They just let off completely, which causes the abrupt and strong braking.

pumasalad

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e (red)
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
  1. Start or stop the car from anywhere in the world
  2. Lock/Unlock and start the car all while having the phone in my pocket
  3. Customize and adjust dozens of in car features and functions
  4. OTA Updates
  5. Self parking
  6. Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping
  7. Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play
  8. Wireless charging mat
1. start and top the car from anywhere in the world... ok, not sure why I want to start the car when I'm not there with it, but ok.
2. Lock/Unlock and start the car all while having the phone in my pocket... works 50% of the time. Ford recommends you take the phone OUT of your pocket to start the car.
3. Customize and adjust ozens of in car features and functions... just don't try to leave the dog in the car for longer than 2 minutes while you run into the post office because no matter how you set the internal alarm system, IT WONT DEACTIVATE AND ALWAYS ANNOYS EVERYONE.
4. OTA Updates are great for making sure the car behaves differently from one week to the next.
5. Self Parking. ? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Have you used Self Parking? first it only works in crowded places where other people are waiting for you to get out of the way, and secondly if you don't hover over the brakes, you will find yourself paying for some very expensive repairs to other people's cars.
6. Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping. these actually work as advertised. that's 1 out of 8 features, way to go ford!
7. wireless Apple Car Play sure is nice when it works, but it's oh so frustrating when it doesn't. just yesterday it worked all the way TO the store, but wouldn't work at all all the way home FROM the store.
8. Wireless charging matt. yay! put the phone on it, it charges. for about 5 minutes then stops. pick the phone up, put it down, charge for 5 more minutes. forget to pick it up and put it down, drain the battery on your phone trying to connect to car play. Also, there's room for 2 phones and there are almost always 2 of us in the car with 2 phones, but the matt only charges one phone. what good is that?

SuzzyQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e mustang
Country flag
In my neck of the woods the Tesla is the new Toyota Corolla. They're everywhere. And, they're not a very attractive car.
Simply said! Here in my neck of the woods too! Thank you.

SuzzyQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e mustang
Country flag
1. start and top the car from anywhere in the world... ok, not sure why I want to start the car when I'm not there with it, but ok.
2. Lock/Unlock and start the car all while having the phone in my pocket... works 50% of the time. Ford recommends you take the phone OUT of your pocket to start the car.
3. Customize and adjust ozens of in car features and functions... just don't try to leave the dog in the car for longer than 2 minutes while you run into the post office because no matter how you set the internal alarm system, IT WONT DEACTIVATE AND ALWAYS ANNOYS EVERYONE.
4. OTA Updates are great for making sure the car behaves differently from one week to the next.
5. Self Parking. ? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Have you used Self Parking? first it only works in crowded places where other people are waiting for you to get out of the way, and secondly if you don't hover over the brakes, you will find yourself paying for some very expensive repairs to other people's cars.
6. Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping. these actually work as advertised. that's 1 out of 8 features, way to go ford!
7. wireless Apple Car Play sure is nice when it works, but it's oh so frustrating when it doesn't. just yesterday it worked all the way TO the store, but wouldn't work at all all the way home FROM the store.
8. Wireless charging matt. yay! put the phone on it, it charges. for about 5 minutes then stops. pick the phone up, put it down, charge for 5 more minutes. forget to pick it up and put it down, drain the battery on your phone trying to connect to car play. Also, there's room for 2 phones and there are almost always 2 of us in the car with 2 phones, but the matt only charges one phone. what good is that?
Was all this on a test drive? I haven’t experienced one of your issues.

AndrewGFI

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
I purposely bought a Mach E because it was the anti-Tesla. The Mach E is a very comfortable car to drive and has all of the expected comforts and features of a great car. I'm also a big fan of Ford having previously owned 4 Mustangs, an Explorer, Expedition and a Navigator. However, I almost bought a Tesla, I put a down payment on the Model 3 when it was announced. I was early enough that I would have received the $7500 rebate. I wanted an electric car but couldn't bring myself to like the stark, sterile computer room type feel I got when sitting inside the car. Especially that white interior. I felt like the old man in the white room at the end of "2001: A Space Odyssey." Once I got that feeling I could never get it out of my mind. I'm so glad that the Mach E came along.

Yes, Tesla might have the best technology and, as a technologist with a Computer Science degree, I love technology. But when I'm driving the car I only want comfort and convenience. And the Mach E provides both of those.

Would BlueCruise be nice? Yes. Will I use it a lot? No, not really. I have everything I want in a car with the Mach E the way it is. I'm not going to fret or stress about future items over which I have no control. I'll just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Literally!
I feel the same way about my GT vs the T3 - i love the way it looks (especially the red) and i love driving around in it. I think Ford did a great job with this one - and i think it is great that it isn't a Tesla.

PCS2021

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Lincoln Navigator
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I purposely bought a Mach E because it was the anti-Tesla. The Mach E is a very comfortable car to drive and has all of the expected comforts and features of a great car. I'm also a big fan of Ford having previously owned 4 Mustangs, an Explorer, Expedition and a Navigator. However, I almost bought a Tesla, I put a down payment on the Model 3 when it was announced. I was early enough that I would have received the $7500 rebate. I wanted an electric car but couldn't bring myself to like the stark, sterile computer room type feel I got when sitting inside the car. Especially that white interior. I felt like the old man in the white room at the end of "2001: A Space Odyssey." Once I got that feeling I could never get it out of my mind. I'm so glad that the Mach E came along.

Yes, Tesla might have the best technology and, as a technologist with a Computer Science degree, I love technology. But when I'm driving the car I only want comfort and convenience. And the Mach E provides both of those.

Would BlueCruise be nice? Yes. Will I use it a lot? No, not really. I have everything I want in a car with the Mach E the way it is. I'm not going to fret or stress about future items over which I have no control. I'll just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Literally!
I could not have described my love of my MachE any better!

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
compared to 95% of the rest of the new cars available today, I'd say it's pretty hi-tech.

Reactions: ARK

StarLog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
It's unlikely I'll modify my car with open source software. Should there be an accident caused by the software I suspect a lot of finger pointing would be going on between Ford and OpenPilot. Eventually those fingers will be pointed at me for modifying the car.
I had a 2013 Tesla Model S with Openpilot for several years. The s/w is rock solid, and does not autosteer you off the road like Tesla Autopilot does. Looking forward to it being ported to the GT.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
Ugh, I can remember full-service Premium at $0.399/gallon. ?
I guess I am older than you. In 1973 I could put 15 gallons of gas in my Mach 1 & 15 gallons of gas in my boat for under $5.00 - $0.159 / gallon ?
Sponsored