Do Our Cars Have External Motion Sensors?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
So, that brings up ANOTHER interesting question: just how “shut down” are our cars when they’re “shut down”? Clearly, they’re not REALLY shut down because they have to receive updates (including the all important remote frunk release update 😀). Also, they have to keep the alarms, occupancy/motion sensors, and so on going. So I’m not convinced they’re ever really “shut down” until the 12V system dies. I’ve always wondered what it means when you get into the car and the Sync screen is displaying “system powered off to save battery” (or something to that effect) with a progress bar?
It’s kind of like when you “shut down” a PC. It still has stuff going on. It monitors for wake on network signals and other stuff. There are a ton of things that are on the Battery (always on) circuit, even more that are on the Accessory (on, but car can’t drive) circuit, and the driveline stuff that is on the Run (car can drive) circuit (just like an ICE vehicle). 😊🐩
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I’ve always wondered what it means when you get into the car and the Sync screen is displaying “system powered off to save battery” (or something to that effect) with a progress bar?
It means the 12V state of charge is less than 40% and load shed is active. You should never see this message normally. If you see it when you start your car it means you have a 12V drain or the car isn’t going to sleep due to app polling.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So I have a couple ideas. If you’re walking around the car and a key fob is in range (e.g. 30’) inside the house, you could be disrupting the radio signal between the fob and the car, causing a wake trigger. The RFA is constantly monitoring the RSSI of the fobs in range, a sudden increase in RSSI (such as walking away after blocking the signal) could cause a wake trigger.

Second reason could be if the Mach-E’s are being polled by an app or widget. This will cause the car to wake up and click. There are lots of issues with app polling still ongoing.

In a parking lot, you might notice some motors or clicks at 5-10 minutes after leaving as things shut down.
Good idea! My house is SMALL and my key fob IS within 30 feet of the vehicle! My phone is also within 30 feet of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It’s kind of like when you “shut down” a PC. It still has stuff going on. It monitors for wake on network signals and other stuff. There are a ton of things that are on the Battery (always on) circuit, even more that are on the Accessory (on, but car can’t drive) circuit, and the driveline stuff that is on the Run (car can drive) circuit (just like an ICE vehicle). 😊🐩
I’m used to old-school PCs where “off” meant OFF 😀 I have an affinity for big red buttons and toggle switches under shields 😀

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It means the 12V state of charge is less than 40% and load shed is active. You should never see this message normally. If you see it when you start your car it means you have a 12V drain or the car isn’t going to sleep due to app polling.
Huh? I have seen it a few times. Not OFTEN, but maybe once every 3-4 months.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Is it repeatable under the same conditions? The noise is the HVBJB contactors. It happens to mine randomly when i'm out there, not in a particular proximity to it. Just wakes up and does its thing for a second and is done. Any time the car is woken up, it'll do that. Bluetooth contact, FOB contact, opening the charge door. It's a stretch, but maybe your movement around the vehicle is enough to attenuate the bluetooth signal from your phone, and then allow it to make contact again? RF is very complex.

Edit.. @Mach-Lee beat me to it.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I’ve noticed an odd behavior ever since I’ve had my car: I have a very narrow garage. When I go into my garage, my car will make several loud clicking sounds (similar to the door locks, but NOT the door locks) as I’m moving around it). My phone is not with me. It’s sitting far away, in my house. My Apple Watch is on me, but I never use the completely useless Apple Watch FordPass app (maybe if it had a remote frunk release, but I digress 😀). So, I have no idea why my car reacts to me when I go by it.
Related question: This is going to sound REALLY odd, but on one or two occasions, when I’ve passed OTHER Mustang Mach Es (with my phone), THER approach lighting (parking lamps and pony lamps at night) have come on. Has anyone else seen that?
Hi Jim. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
There is some sort of motion sensing that happens outside the car. I hear the same clicks when I’m near my car or my husbands and it is off and locked. I’m guessing it’s relays clicking when the car wakes up.

JamesStew71

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
I’ve noticed an odd behavior ever since I’ve had my car: I have a very narrow garage. When I go into my garage, my car will make several loud clicking sounds (similar to the door locks, but NOT the door locks) as I’m moving around it). My phone is not with me. It’s sitting far away, in my house. My Apple Watch is on me, but I never use the completely useless Apple Watch FordPass app (maybe if it had a remote frunk release, but I digress 😀). So, I have no idea why my car reacts to me when I go by it.
Related question: This is going to sound REALLY odd, but on one or two occasions, when I’ve passed OTHER Mustang Mach Es (with my phone), THER approach lighting (parking lamps and pony lamps at night) have come on. Has anyone else seen that?
personally, I have heard and experienced it but we really have wrote it off as cooling system on/off etc . But yea we here it all the time and we have just a open covered driveway

BasicSaber

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X, 2015 Mustang V6
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I hear this noise all the time when I park the car in the garage and walk around it.

I usually leave the key fob hanging on the wall after I finish washing the car and when I walk near it will occasionally hear the clicking noise.

The noise is exactly what Mach-Lee mentions in this post: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/weird-noise-from-under-frunk.22196/#post-519610

I always assumed it was the noise the car makes whenever it 'wakes up'. But I also assumed it had some external sensors in order to 'wake up'. (Guess that part is wrong lol)

So instead, I think the close connection with key fob (or PAAK) will trigger the 'wake up'. And I also think whenever I walk in the path between the key fob and vehicle, I end up 'waking it up' again since the connection was interrupted and then reconnected. Just my theory though, I could be completely wrong 🤷‍♂️

Parasmoney

First Name
Paras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Starting yesterday, my car's security system turns on the alarm when we sit in the car after turning it off. I disable the motion sensor. Was working fine for few months that I've owned the car. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it?

Edit: I noticed that I received 3.5.3 update on the 11th night and the issue occurred the following day.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Starting yesterday, my car's security system turns on the alarm when we sit in the car after turning it off. I disable the motion sensor. Was working fine for few months that I've owned the car. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it?

Edit: I noticed that I received 3.5.3 update on the 11th night and the issue occurred the following day.
The interior motion sensors don’t reliably stay off. I turn mine off when I leave my dog in the car and they still set off the alarm even though he’s in his crate. I keep forgetting to put a roll of tape in the car so I can cover them up. 🤪🐩

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I like all the clicking noises the car makes when I get close. I imagine it's the car getting excited/happy about me just being close. :p
I've not experimented to see if it happens without my phone though. I do notice that it will do it when I approach shortly after turning it off, but if it's been off for a while the approach lighting doesn't come on. That might be due to my home office being close to my garage.
As far as the watch app goes, I find it very useful and will use it to remote start as I leave my work office and start the short walk to the parking lot.
Sponsored