Do people find the actual brakes too responsive with 1-PD?

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I've had my Mach-E for 48 hours, but I have extensive 1-PD experience on a Chevy Volt so it didn't take long to accommodate to the much more aggressive regenerative braking and actual stopping ability that 1-PD offers on the Mach-E (I do sorta miss a brake paddle though). However, I am finding it challenging when I actually use the brake to not cause sudden braking that isn't smooth. A prime example would be when I am traveling at low speeds close to an intersection and realize that I will not be able to stop in the desired distance with the 1-PD only. I then try to lightly touch the brake pedal and find many times that I suddenly stop 10 feet short and probably make the driver behind me annoyed. It isn't so crazy as to mimic me slamming on the brakes, but the usual sensation that you get with a brake pedal where you can feel the engagement of the brakes and then use further pressure accordingly seems to be missing.

Do I need to just give it more time? Are others feeling this way as well?
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I initially found the brakes seemed to grab and pulse a lot, but after some breakin, they are better. I also have a Bolt, and never had any issues with the brakes on it, they are much smoother than the Mach E. I also like the paddle on the Bolt, with it I never have to hit the brake pedal, unless a real emergency stop is needed.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The brake pedal is a lot more sensitive than most cars, but you do get used to it. A little push goes a long way. After driving my Mach E for months I was able to slow to a stop just fine with the brakes (not in 1PD mode) and now that I am using 1PD it is still fine.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Just give it some more time; it will become second nature, buttery smooth.
Had mine for 8 months, 8 thous. miles; one pedal drive is awesome. The learning process is to get in the habit of coming off the accelerator gradually.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The brakes are touchy on this car....especially when new. If you bed them in then it will be a little better.....or just let them wear in for a bit. I don't remember how long it took for my car to normalize but it didn't take too long.

Even now, the brakes are still grabby at times but it is much less noticeable now.

My brother drove his car in Whisper mode for the first several weeks and he said he liked the brakes in that setting better.

I really don't like 1PD in the Mach-E. I don't know why. I have tried it many times and just can't get comfortable. When I test drove a Bolt.....that worked very nice and I think I would have used 1PD as my default setting.

Our Wrangler 4xe doesn't have true 1PD but it does have a Max Regen setting which I think is the best. Even better than 1PD IMO. It still will creep but at only like 1 or 2 mph which is nice. And when the friction brakes are blended in, it is very linear and butter smooth.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I started out not using 1pd for the first few thousand miles because it just seemed to harsh of a slow down. One day I decided to give it another try and let myself learn how to slow down smoother. Now I love it and almost have a hard time not using it. It's super smooth and becomes second nature after a little bit of a learning curve.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I've had my Mach-E for 48 hours, but I have extensive 1-PD experience on a Chevy Volt so it didn't take long to accommodate to the much more aggressive regenerative braking and actual stopping ability that 1-PD offers on the Mach-E (I do sorta miss a brake paddle though). However, I am finding it challenging when I actually use the brake to not cause sudden braking that isn't smooth. A prime example would be when I am traveling at low speeds close to an intersection and realize that I will not be able to stop in the desired distance with the 1-PD only. I then try to lightly touch the brake pedal and find many times that I suddenly stop 10 feet short and probably make the driver behind me annoyed. It isn't so crazy as to mimic me slamming on the brakes, but the usual sensation that you get with a brake pedal where you can feel the engagement of the brakes and then use further pressure accordingly seems to be missing.

Do I need to just give it more time? Are others feeling this way as well?
Just more time to get comfortable with it. 1PD braking is smooth as butter for me 99% of the time. I find the slowly backing off on the accelerator as I'm approaching the stop gets the MME in the slow-down mode, and I usually haven't completely lifted off the pedal until right about the end of where I need to be. Unless another driver stops short in front of me, I almost never have to tap the brake.

Once you retrain your brain for where you need to start feathering back on the pedal, you should be good. Just remember it's not a 1 or a 0; you will have much better results if you let up slowly on the accelerator ahead of time instead of just taking your foot off entirely. (Not saying you are, but I know some people do.)

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Escape, 22 Mach-E, Premium, RWD, LR, Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I noticed the braking issue also. I use one pedal driving and it took awhile to learn how to transition to the brake pedal without having the brakes grab. It seems like during the first 3/4 inch of travel nothing happens so you push harder and then the brakes do grab hard. In the same vain, if you disengage cruise control and you haven’t given the accelerator a little input the regenerative braking will slow you down abruptly. Sometimes I forget.

frontrunner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium AWD
Country flag
I haven't found it to be difficult to adjust to it. I prefer how it grabs in Unbridled. I just feather the pedal more often than not.

My wife hated it, but I convinced her to give it a few days. After a week, she loves it.

TigerEye104

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e premium IBM
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I believe there was also an OTA update for the touchy brakes.

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
A bunch of it is probably the car you come from. Despite the Mach-E being 2000 lbs heavier than our Honda Fit, the Mach-E's stop-from-60mph is almost half the distance that the Fit's is. It has taken a while for me to really adjust to the Mustang.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I believe there was also an OTA update for the touchy brakes.
There was. There are a few reports of it having made manual breaking “worse.” Those reports are from folks not using 1pd and some use L plus manual breaking. Personally, I haven’t noticed a difference as I’m always in 1pd and rarely touch the break pedal in normal ops.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
I turned off 1PD on day-one. The MachE's brake pedal engages the motor's back-emf so the actual reduction in range is almost nothing. MachE's braking is excellent in my opinion.
Sponsored