Do we absolutely need a wall charger at home?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks - I got the outlet orientation correct (round ground plug on top), but now confused about the added benefits that comes with purchasing the charger...like the two year comp fast charging....wow, decisions decisions
I get the feeling that when the editors cut the video down to three minutes, they left out a pause and maybe a video or slide to change topics.

They talked about the optional connected charger ($800).

Then they talked about the 2 years of FordPass Charging Network access. That access is included when you activate FordPass with the new vehicle. It's unrelated to the optional charger accessory.

And importantly, it's not FREE charging. It's 2 years subscription to the charging network, which makes L3 charging while travelling a bit simpler and possibly a bit less expensive, too.

After two years, there will be a subscription fee (unknown amount) if you prefer to keep using that service.

I don't think they mentioned in this video, but there's one more benefit thrown in with the new vehicle activation, which is 250 kWh of charging on the Electrify America charging network. That's about 2-3 fill ups worth, I think.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Do you happen to know if there is some sort of technical specification to look for in selecting an extension cord to avoid this happening?
The gauge of the wire..... typically available 10ga, 12, and 14. 10gauge is 'fatter', and fatter is better for less resistance. Get the minimum length that will reach from outlet. Longer cord creates more resistance, and will heat up a little.

You also want to avoid the extension cords with the clear molded plug end with lights inside; I have found the pulling 1100-1500 watts thru those for hours while charging can heat up the plastic enough to soften and blacken it because of the extra resistance of the little light and the inability to dissapate the heat in the plug end.

You also want to avoid using a 'kill-a-watt' meter to measure the kWhr you actually consume.... I've found that they are rated for 15amps, but when passing thru more than about 12amps (to a 1500watt charger) they get hot enough to soften, blacken, and fail.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The gauge of the wire..... typically available 10ga, 12, and 14. 10gauge is 'fatter', and fatter is better for less resistance. Get the minimum length that will reach from outlet. Longer cord creates more resistance, and will heat up a little.

You also want to avoid the extension cords with the clear molded plug end with lights inside; I have found the pulling 1100-1500 watts thru those for hours while charging can heat up the plastic enough to soften and blacken it because of the extra resistance of the little light and the inability to dissapate the heat in the plug end.

You also want to avoid using a 'kill-a-watt' meter to measure the kWhr you actually consume.... I've found that they are rated for 15amps, but when passing thru more than about 12amps (to a 1500watt charger) they get hot enough to soften, blacken, and fail.
I appreciate the tip about the clear molded extension cords with the light at the ends, that would not have crossed my mind.

I charged today for several hours on a 120v outlet using a 10ft extension cord without any of those moldings. The extension cord and mobile charger were in direct sunlight most of the day, temperature in the mid 70s. The tips of the extension cord were only slightly warm. By comparison, my iPhone and iPad charger get noticeably warmer than the extension cord did when I charge those devices.

I plan on getting my ChargePoint Home Flex installed on Thursday, but I now feel more confident about leaving the mobile charger unattended for significant periods of time with a relatively short extension cord if I am ever in a situation of having to use it.

WEH

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Have a question as to the charger that comes with the car. Does anybody know if you can leave the charger pugged into the 14-50 outlet while not charging the car? I can't seem to find it addressed in the manual. Would like to leave it plugged in so not to wear out the outlet and it is out of the way if it is plugged in. Thanks

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Have a question as to the charger that comes with the car. Does anybody know if you can leave the charger pugged into the 14-50 outlet while not charging the car? I can't seem to find it addressed in the manual. Would like to leave it plugged in so not to wear out the outlet and it is out of the way if it is plugged in. Thanks
That should not be a problem. In fact, if you installed another brand of EVSE in your garage, it would stay plugged in normally.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
not a problem at all, although it will consume a few watts of power internally even when not charging....

You may want to put a hanger, or a hose-reel, on the wall to coil up the cord and keep it out of the way when you are not charging.

Reactions: WEH

WEH

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks all. just wanted to be safe and convenient because now it is on the ground in the way.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I appreciate the tip about the clear molded extension cords with the light at the ends, that would not have crossed my mind.

I charged today for several hours on a 120v outlet using a 10ft extension cord without any of those moldings. The extension cord and mobile charger were in direct sunlight most of the day, temperature in the mid 70s. The tips of the extension cord were only slightly warm. By comparison, my iPhone and iPad charger get noticeably warmer than the extension cord did when I charge those devices.

I plan on getting my ChargePoint Home Flex installed on Thursday, but I now feel more confident about leaving the mobile charger unattended for significant periods of time with a relatively short extension cord if I am ever in a situation of having to use it.

I measured the current when charging MME at 120vAC outlet.... It was chugging along at a pretty steady 12.5 amps... so pretty much exactly 1500 watts; which means about 4 miles of range back into the car per hour of charge.

So.... if you are driving less than 40 miles per day, you can charge 'overnight' from any outlet. No real need for a 240vAC outlet unless you are going further, or don't sleep. ;)

Reactions: ARK

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I measured the current when charging MME at 120vAC outlet.... It was chugging along at a pretty steady 12.5 amps... so pretty much exactly 1500 watts; which means about 4 miles of range back into the car per hour of charge.

So.... if you are driving less than 40 miles per day, you can charge 'overnight' from any outlet. No real need for a 240vAC outlet unless you are going further, or don't sleep. ;)
I measured mine at 1247 watts. And there will be some loss flowing through the EVSE into the onboard charger. But even at that, yes, 12 hours of that overnight is ~14 kWh which should be 40-50 miles.

Be a little careful on using "any" outlet though. If on a 120V 15A circuit, it should be the only thing plugged in. If a 120V 20A circuit, a few small things could be plugged in on the same circuit. I wouldn't have a refrigerator or tools plugged in and in use at the same time though.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do we absolutely need a wall charger at home? 20210313_144706

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
To add to the above, you really should go to the hardware store and buy a 20A "Heavy Duty" outlet. They have stronger springs/contacts and provide a much improved connection, which is important when you're drawing a lot of juice.

One nice tool to have is one of these outlet testers. Seems like EVERY time I install an outlet, I test it and have to swap the wires to get it right.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-G...VF5C9tt6oWy7ccD0ugRoCu0kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

power-gear-voltage-tester-50542-c3_145.jpg

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I measured mine at 1247 watts. And there will be some loss flowing through the EVSE into the onboard charger. But even at that, yes, 12 hours of that overnight is ~14 kWh which should be 40-50 miles.

Be a little careful on using "any" outlet though. If on a 120V 15A circuit, it should be the only thing plugged in. If a 120V 20A circuit, a few small things could be plugged in on the same circuit. I wouldn't have a refrigerator or tools plugged in and in use at the same time though.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do we absolutely need a wall charger at home? power-gear-voltage-tester-50542-c3_145
I was using a relatively inexpensive clamp ammeter on the actual circuit. I would suggest that you do not leave your charger plugged into the kilowatt meter for the full charge, I had one of those suckers melt after about six hours at 12 amps

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was using a relatively inexpensive clamp ammeter on the actual circuit. I would suggest that you do not leave your charger plugged into the kilowatt meter for the full charge, I had one of those suckers melt after about six hours at 12 amps
For sure. I only use it for spot measurements on anything big. While it has time-measurement capability too, I'd only use that for smaller power stuff.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Need a wall charger? I don't think so. As a test, I used the 120v outlet in my garage to charge the Mach-E for the first week of ovnership. Typically kept charging between 9pm and 8am off-peak hours. Our vehicle used duty is a grocery getter, short trips around town. Typically charging between 60 and 80% was no problem for the 120v/15amp circuit. As usage increased, I did use the 240v/40amp curcuit I previously installed. Now charging between 50% and 80% nightly. I changed off-peak schedule to start at midnight. We are getting back to 80% in 2-3 hours. I really see no need for a wall charge as teh supplied cable is working out fine. May want to by another however, to keep in car. There are rebates, but I installed 2 EV charging circuits with 6 gauge wire myself and would only receive 30% rebate off a wall charger. Net would cost me some $ and cannot submit for install.

My advice, try just using the supplied charging cord first and get into your routine. You may find you do not need the extra expense or equipment.

I am planning some longer trips and will see if faster charging is needed, but that would be the exception driving the rule.
Sponsored