Do we know what monthly fee if any is required to maintain connectivity to the cloud which apparently is essential to receive software?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I came this close to buying an Outlander PHEV last year. Wife finally vetoed me and got a Cr-V.

I'm really surprised with the battery issues they are having. Maybe they can license Volte from GM.
The Outlander batteries themselves are fine. It's the BMS software that's the problem because it has a flat degradation curve that artificially limits the usable capacity of the batteries as they age regardless of their actual degradation, which is really dumb. Luckily, some daring folks have figured out some ways to trick the BMS into resetting itself back to its original value, not that this should be necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi stops selling cars in the US at some point soon. Their volume is so low, that I can't imagine it's still worth it for them. The only reason I bought the Outlander was that it was the only non-luxury crossover with a plug available in 2018. A lot has changed since then. I'm not foreseeing having these types of issues with the MME.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, OS updates will be free. I think the only things that Ford will charge for are things that add new functionality, like hands-free driving. If they add sentinal mode, dog mode, etc., they might charge for those. Or they might not...nobody really knows except for what we've been told about the cost of the hands-free driving update.

The Sync4 system should be less susceptible to being bricked by an update than most cars. It will fully download the update and install it in a parallel system to make sure it works. Only then will it switch over to the new version. If there's still a problem with the new version, it can fail back over to the old version. Installing via USB (if possible) won't reduce the risk of bricking the system.
Don't need hands-free and the car comes with a nice suite of cruise controls.

What parallel system? If they post SHA-1 and it matches you are pretty sure you have what they are offering. Others reviews and out comes will help and hardwired is always more reliable than over the air. Some systems are hard to downgrade and will buck at that.

Pay for dog mode? If my Husky dies of heat I am suing ;). Thought that was a Tesla thing?

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
What parallel system? If they post SHA-1 and it matches you are pretty sure you have what they are offering. Others reviews and out comes will help and hardwired is always more reliable than over the air. Some systems are hard to downgrade and will buck at that.
What Ford has described for the updates sounds similar to what Android devices use:

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/ab