Do you carry a charger in your Mach-E?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
For those that haven't installed a 220v charger, note the following:

- utility companies often sell them at a discount or provide a rebate. Some also address installation.

- there is a 30% federal tax credit on your net, after rebate, outlay for the charger and installation of the circuit.

- in 2024, you might discover a way to get money back from your state.
Sponsored

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I keep the Ford charger in the frunk, just in case

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Currently in my frunk. We go to Florida key every year for a month. The house we stay at doesn’t have an esve so I use the 110 outlet to charge. Takes a long time but we are mostly on our boat anyway so if it takes 24 hours to charge so be it

George Knighton

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE
Occupation
Retired. I'd say it was a mid life crisis, but not many people live to 140.
Country flag
My car already had the dual voltage Ford EVSE in the hidden compartment, along with an inflator.

I know that I don't need it, but I carry it because I don't need it anywhere else.

To be honest, I haven't even opened up the case yet. LOL....

Jrny127

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Forklift Driver
Country flag
I just bought a CR1 and was wondering if you carry a charger in your Mach-E. Is there value in having one readily available?

Thanks!
I have my 120v cord in my car because I have property that I travel to and I charge it while I’m up there.

fangfow

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE GTPE
Occupation
RF Engineer
Country flag
In other words, you have never used it, thanks!
You get about a percent per hour with 110V; I usually fast charge to around 80% when I get to my destination (usually parents houses) and plug in to 110V to top up overnight; the car usually sits for more than 10 hours, and my daily driving when visiting my parents isn't much; so usually have a weekend trip and plugging in overnight I get to 100% easily by the time I'm ready to go back home... Don't overthink it 😅

Reactions: TTF

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
Always use it at the cabin with 110v.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Maybe you have a rare use case where you can find a 220v outlet in the wild. And there might be a few even rarer use cases where 110v charging is beneficial, but certainly not for "emergencies." It adds about 3mi of range per hour, if that. In virtually all situations, you would be far better off getting towed to the nearest fast charger.

Many people don't seem to realize that Ford offers free "EV Battery Roadside Assistance" for the first 5 years/60,000 miles. Meaning if you run out of juice, Ford will pay for a tow to a fast charger within 50 miles. Not ideal, but a hell of a lot better than trying to charge up on 110v.

I keep my mobile charger in my garage and use it as my L2 garage charger. I have never carried it in my car except for the drive home from the dealership.

SpaceLeftBlank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GT, 2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
I just bought a CR1 and was wondering if you carry a charger in your Mach-E. Is there value in having one readily available?

Thanks!
I should but I don't. That's because, for the time being, I'm using the mobile charger as my main home charger (and it works fine for that since I mostly only drive maybe 50 miles per day tops and I can easily replace any charge used overnight) and I've forgotten to bundle it up and take it with me "just in case" on my two recent longer road trips (no trouble with finding fast charging though, so it worked out).

I was not expecting to have to rely on it for the main charger. The day we traded in my old, somehow still functional (130K+ miles, 9 years old, two pending recalls) Escape in for the MME, we were also going to trade my wife's (not quite as old, but still...) Explorer for an F-150 Lightning, one of the extended-range ones that comes with a free charge station pro, one of the 80A ones you can use for home backup (which we're not, necessarily, but, hey, free level 2 charging station). Problem is that there's a recall on the Lightning, and no parts to fix it, and so they can't sell it until it's fixed. Been two-and-a-half months. The part that's funny if it's not you, but otherwise kind of infuriating, is that my wife keeps getting automated emails from the dealer offering to sell her that very truck.

SpaceLeftBlank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
I thought of that, but how many houses have a 14-50 outlet readily available? And using a 110v outlet at someone's house is sort of pointless, in my view, because it would take several days to charge the MME.
It only takes "several days" if you are at maybe 10 or 15% and trying to charge to 80 or 100. I can typically add 15% charging overnight. Unless that someone's house is in the middle of nowhere, that's probably at LEAST enough to get you to a fast charger. But yeah, if you really need to fully charge your battery before leaving that house, better cool your jets for a few days at 110v.

SpaceLeftBlank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
Maybe you have a rare use case where you can find a 220v outlet in the wild. And there might be a few even rarer use cases where 110v charging is beneficial, but certainly not for "emergencies." It adds about 3mi of range per hour, if that. In virtually all situations, you would be far better off getting towed to the nearest fast charger.

Many people don't seem to realize that Ford offers free "EV Battery Roadside Assistance" for the first 5 years/60,000 miles. Meaning if you run out of juice, Ford will pay for a tow to a fast charger within 50 miles. Not ideal, but a hell of a lot better than trying to charge up on 110v.
According to Plugshare, there are apparently more 220 outlets around than you'd think (or at least more than I would have thought). But the thing is, maybe the mobile charger isn't much use in an emergency, but if you don't have it with you, it's definitely no use.

rhfritz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE
Country flag
I don't carry the one that came with the car. Like others have said, nowhere I've gone has had an accessible 14-50. When my garage JuiceBox went bad, I used it and proved that it worked. But on the road I use commercial sources.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
According to Plugshare, there are apparently more 220 outlets around than you'd think (or at least more than I would have thought). But the thing is, maybe the mobile charger isn't much use in an emergency, but if you don't have it with you, it's definitely no use.
True, but the same could be said for a lot of things I don’t carry in the car because they are highly, highly likely to be useless.

In fact, I bet we could all come up with a list of items we should keep in the car which are far more likely to be useful in the event you run out of charge. That would be a fun exercise.

I’ll start…
1. Deck of cards
2. MREs
3. Chemical hand warmers
4. Heavy blanket
5. Flare gun
6. Real gun

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought of that, but how many houses have a 14-50 outlet readily available? And using a 110v outlet at someone's house is sort of pointless, in my view, because it would take several days to charge the MME.
Your absolutely correct, except when I drive to Tampa from Boca Raton, I charge at a Tampa local DCFC to 80%. Go back to my sisters house and plug in for the weekend. the car is at 100% when ready to drive back.

did the same at a friends house that was 120 miles from home.

SpaceLeftBlank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
True, but the same could be said for a lot of things I don’t carry in the car because they are highly, highly likely to be useless.

In fact, I bet we could all come up with a list of items we should keep in the car which are far more likely to be useful in the event you run out of charge. That would be a fun exercise.

I’ll start…
1. Deck of cards
2. MREs
3. Chemical hand warmers
4. Heavy blanket
5. Flare gun
6. Real gun
That’s cute, but unlike the mobile charger, none of those has a specific spot in the trunk to store it, and none of them have any Hope of powering your car, except maybe the hand warmers and MREs if you remember enough college chemistry or watch lots of MacGyver. But then, you know that.
Sponsored