Do you need to use both bluetooth and carplay???

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
I currently have a Honda with Carplay (wired) - I've never configured the bluetooth and it works fine. I was wondering if this will continue to work on the MME
Sponsored

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
You do not need bluetooth to enabled to make wireless carplay work. You do, however, need BT on the car and phone enabled if you want to use PAAK. The ONLY thing I am not a fan of in the MME is that CarPlay. My 2017 Hyundai Elantra was wired only and worked great. In my MME, the wireless CP has a 2 second lag when I have make an input (play, pause, skip) but the audio is good. If I am wired, it is immediate input but the audio has a popping sound every once in a while. So frustrating.

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@SprManKalEl
Thanks - I'm not specifically planning on using the PAAK as I always carry my keys with me - and I mostly use carplay for the maps - current car doesn't have GPS - so it sounds like I should be ok

Thank you

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I don't think the above is true about not needing Bluetooth for wireless Carplay. Wireless Carplay uses Wifi for the actual content, but the initial connection is through Bluetooth. I happen to have recent testing on this because I had to turn bluetooth off while the kids were using my phone so I could use my AirPods with my watch (what a weird world we live in).

Anyway when I got back into my truck wireless CarPlay wouldn't connect, I remembered I turned off Bluetooth and when I turned it on everything reconnected.

So to reiterate, I am well aware that Wireless CarPlay data is transmitted over a wifi connection, BUT, the initial negotiation is done over bluetooth. So you can use wired CarPlay with BT off, but not Wireless.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
You do not need bluetooth to enabled to make wireless carplay work. You do, however, need BT on the car and phone enabled if you want to use PAAK. The ONLY thing I am not a fan of in the MME is that CarPlay. My 2017 Hyundai Elantra was wired only and worked great. In my MME, the wireless CP has a 2 second lag when I have make an input (play, pause, skip) but the audio is good. If I am wired, it is immediate input but the audio has a popping sound every once in a while. So frustrating.
Iā€™ve never heard this popping sound, but Iā€™ve seen it come up on here a couple times. Both versions of CarPlay work pretty well for me.

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Vulnox
Does that mean you had to pair your phone with bluetooth in addition to configuring carplay

I understand if bluetooth needs to be enabled on the phone for it to work

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
@Vulnox
Does that mean you had to pair your phone with bluetooth in addition to configuring carplay

If you're not using a cable, you have to pair your phone with Bluetooth once. Then a message will pop up saying that this car supports wireless CarPlay and asks if you want to use it. If you select yes, it will connect to CarPlay in the future and not keep a direct Bluetooth connection with the phone (except for PaaK).

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
@Vulnox

Correct. When you first get the car you can enable wireless carplay in two ways:
1. Connect a USB cable, the phone and car will offer a number of prompts including asking if you want to enable wireless carplay, if you say yes, then the phone adds a bluetooth profile for the car.
2. Connect to the car using Bluetooth, once connected the phone will ask if you want to use Wireless CarPlay, if you say yes, then it sets that up.

Either way, your phone needs a bluetooth connection to the car to use Wireless CarPlay going forward.

You DO NOT need a bluetooth connection at any time to use wired CarPlay.

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for the additional input - My MME is currently in transit (sitting at Ramp 6P for a train to Jacksonville, FL) so I'm starting to get all my stuff ready

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Correct wireless needs bluetooth to work. Since the last few updates to Sync, I have had nothing but carplay problems. At first I had to remove bluetooth and setup all over each time it failed. Now I have learned that toggling carplay for the ME on and off in the carplay iphone settings does it. Still, it has become a nuisance since Ford changed the carplay setup menus.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Iā€™ve never heard this popping sound, but Iā€™ve seen it come up on here a couple times. Both versions of CarPlay work pretty well for me.
Iā€™m glad that you havenā€™t heard this. I wish I didnā€™t because I much prefer wired over wireless CarPlay.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
@SprManKalEl
Thanks - I'm not specifically planning on using the PAAK as I always carry my keys with me - and I mostly use carplay for the maps - current car doesn't have GPS - so it sounds like I should be ok

Thank you

you do not need Carplay or AndroidAuto to display nice map with the native Navigation that runs native on the huge center console screen.

you DO need BT and FordPass App running on your phone to configure, and use PAAK. I would highly recommend configuring and setting up backup code in case you ever lose or damage Fob or decide to try to go keyless, foil wrap the Fob, and hide it inthe car for emergency/service/valet parking.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess, I must be special. Everyone saying BT needs to be on for wireless CP to work but I have disabled BT on the car's settings and still have had wireless CP to work.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I guess, I must be special. Everyone saying BT needs to be on for wireless CP to work but I have disabled BT on the car's settings and still have had wireless CP to work.
Thatā€˜s because the car is smart enough to still allow the initial CarPlay handshake over Bluetooth with Bluetooth turned off on the car. Turn Bluetooth off on your phone, and wireless CarPlay will stop working.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thatā€˜s because the car is smart enough to still allow the initial CarPlay handshake over Bluetooth with Bluetooth turned off on the car. Turn Bluetooth off on your phone, and wireless CarPlay will stop working.

I will try it out in about an our an half when I leave the office.
Sponsored