Do you think the first edition is worth the premium price?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Only mention I've noticed is this one. It doesn't explicitly say steel frame, but seems to suggest it...

Ford didn’t talk much about what makes up the Mach-E’s body structure, and in fact, the company hasn’t even released a curb weight figure yet. What I did learn at the reveal is that the body is predominantly steel, and with the larger of the two battery packs, I bet it weighs a lot.

https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Only mention I've noticed is this one. It doesn't explicitly say steel frame, but seems to suggest it...

Ford didn’t talk much about what makes up the Mach-E’s body structure, and in fact, the company hasn’t even released a curb weight figure yet. What I did learn at the reveal is that the body is predominantly steel, and with the larger of the two battery packs, I bet it weighs a lot.

https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078
yup, that's it

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I can't remember where I read it now, but one of the teardown/engineering blogs mentioned it is a steel frame - so it should be cheaper than a tesla
Now that would be AWESOME!!!!! from an insurance perspective.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
I have a Red 1st edition reservation with a MSRP of $60,300 which is a LOT of money. I ordered it because its cool, looks nice and thought it would be more likely I could downgrade to a premium later on.

Do you think the First edition is worth the extra money for brake calipers painted red, brushed aluminum caps on the brake and the accelerator pedals, contrast stitching on the seats, and a scuff plate labeled First Edition ? A premium Ex RWD in red is $55,600 (300 mile range) so a difference of $4700 over the 1st edition or or Red Ex AWD $58,700 (270 mile range) for a difference of $1600 over the 1st edition.

Is AWD important if I don't live in an area with snow? (Southern California) Does it give you any benefits being it has a shorter range?

I am concerned I may miss out on some rebates as some places are changing the eligibility to a MSRP of $60000 or less. Mine is $300 over with the color up charge (I wish they wouldn't change more for color). IF I can get X plan pricing or other discounts would that still mean the car is over the MSRP of $60,000 because of the color and make me ineligible for additional rebates? I would hate to miss out on $2000 rebate from California plus I would pay an additional $1600 for some exclusivity.

I think I know what I'm probably going to do when it comes time to order so thanks for talking me through this. :)

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/faqs/how-often-do-cvrp-program-requirements-change-0
Like you, Red FE. I live in MN, so AWD is a requirement here. My wife has already questioned additional cost, FE vs. Premium. and she isn’t wrong. The full federal tax rebate seems like it’ll be around for the first 15 months of deliveries. It really boils down to, is it the right vehicle, at the right time.

Last edited:

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I bought a grabber blue FE. I look at it that I got mine first. It is a special car. It will always be special maybe not in monetary means but it tells me I got in the first week before they were all gone. For me it is worth it.

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I have a red FE and it’s worth it just for the red stitching in My opinion. You add the red calipers and red around the wheel and mirrors and for sure. Plus, if you have a first year, might as well get first edition. If there is any resale, it has to be worth more!

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I have grabber blue and yes it is well worth it. Sure likely ours has the greatest issues being the first ones made but I don’t care. The stitching, red calibers and knowing that it was first make me feel good. I am hoping that this car lasts at least 10 years if not more. I am 64 and so far in 3 weeks my car has 5800 miles. It draws crowds and it just feels good.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, because I wanted the light gray interior. Premium RR with gray interior. Mach e 4X.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
The FE also has a dark headliner which is my preference.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I was a skeptic about the First Ed cost premium, but my Grabber Blue is definitely worth it. It’s gorgeous.

I also thought the space gray interior looked nicer, but when I actually saw it in person, it looks a little cheaper than my FE’s black onyx with the blue stitching.

In my opinion, the only reason to go FE is if you’re getting a grabber blue or a rapid red. I know you can get RR on the premium, but the black interior with red stitching looks pretty sharp.

MachE911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE, C-Max Energi, 911
Country flag
Something that was not advertised, the FE cars with black interior have an ALL black interior. Premium edition cars with black interior still have white a-pillars/sun visors. I personally felt the all black interior, red stitching, and red calipers match nicely with my red exterior. I switched from my Premium order to an FE at the dealer. Personally my expectation is also that the engineers spent time on the factory line for all the first edition cars ensuring they were in tip top shape.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I like the steel pedals. Grabber Blue nor available except on GT. I love the colored calipers., blue stitching, etc. So it’s a yes for me.
Sponsored