CarboFE

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Had a frustrating experience with PAAK yesterday. After ordering at a drive through I pulled forward to wait for my food. Decided I needed to get something out of the back seat. I put the car in P, left the phone in the wireless charging spot, opened the front door (left it open), opened the back door, retrieved my item, returned to the driver seat and closed the front door.

When I tried to put the car in D it yelled at me that there was NO KEY. The phone wasn't touched or moved and had been in the car the entire time. I didn't even turn it off. WIth the line of cars building behind me I had to type in the car password.

To me, this is another example of how PAAK isn't quite ready for how people actually use their cars on a daily basis. This is why my wife has the fob, she would have no patience for this. I'm starting to wonder why I do?

My goal is to document this behavior so that it can hopefully be corrected.
Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I KNOW they can, which is what pissed me off....
next closest Dealer is an hour drive away, and I'm ok with entering Code now that I have it set, so it's just not worth my time to argue with them or set up the second fob.
This blows my mind. The dealer is failing a basic IQ test.

So... because they didn't get to make a small profit on the hardware sale of the fob they don't want to make the even bigger profit in the service department for programming it?? And this ... after selling you the car. I guess they are hoping to not sell you any more cars in the future.

My dealer couldn't get their hands on the fob either ... back-ordered. But they sure were happy to program the fobs I managed to buy online.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That could be a reason. But many companies use 2FA by just txting to your phone. Ford has the number as part of your Fordpass App. It just seems like a good thing to be able to have the backup start without PAAK. Mostly of course because of all the issues with PAAK.
there are tons of ways to authenticate Owner and set the default Backupcode without PAAK if they put their mind to it. The reliance on BlueTooth AND Fordpass AND phone OS is really causing problems with configuring the BackupStartCode

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Are you making sure to place the phone in the phone tray and to have FordPass running actively on your phone? I've found starting the car rarely works if my phone is still in my back pocket or if FordPass is inactive.
Yes I have been doing that. Just recently PaaK had been really bad for me. Just today on two different occasions from home the car wouldn't unlock with my phone. I used the code to get in, then started the car, no key detected, then the alarm comes on. Entered the backup code and it continues to go off, it only stopped after starting the car.

I planned to stick it out with PaaK but it's really not worth the hassle for a process that should be seamless. It's always a game of roulette if PaaK will work or not, but once this issue with the alarm started today I'm calling it quits. I'll jump back to PaaK once it starts working consistently.
Sponsored