Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
You dealer can absolutely program that fob provided it is the correct part number. They are just refusing to do so. Try another dealer and can even use your FordPass points to pay for it (if you have any available still).

My dealer programmed both of my spare fobs. I have 3 working fobs now. One for me, one for my wife and one for a spare.

I KNOW they can, which is what pissed me off....
next closest Dealer is an hour drive away, and I'm ok with entering Code now that I have it set, so it's just not worth my time to argue with them or set up the second fob.
Sponsored

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
I am getting more comfortable with the paak. Either I got the hang of it or it's working better

MooseLips3700

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Idiot Savant
Country flag
great questions. ;)

I had problems with PAAK when I took delivery, could not complete configuration as it did not like my (andriod) phone, could not get/set a backup startcode. I wanted a second Fob to have SOME spare; Dealer said they 'couldn't get one, they are on backorder'. I found them online for $99, bought one, Dealer then said they couldn't program it because I didn't get it from them..... I went ballistic.....

eventually figured out how to get thru PAKK configuration (with a borrowed phone), so I could set a BackupStartCode..... added my phone, which seems to drop BT connection, but usually re-connects if I turn BT off and back on.

so....... current mode of operation is:
- I put both my original, and my un-programmed Fob in the drawer at home
- I use PAAK when MME sees my phone
- I use door code + console BackupStartCode when PAAK doesn't see my phone

.... except when I park facing south, forget my sun shade over console, and console gets hot and stays black so I can't enter StartCode ... ;(

If you, or anyone would like to buy my spare un-programmed Ford Fob, I'll sell it to you for $99, plus $10 postage.
I will buy your FOB for $109
How u want to do this?

MooseLips3700

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Idiot Savant
Country flag
great questions. ;)

I had problems with PAAK when I took delivery, could not complete configuration as it did not like my (andriod) phone, could not get/set a backup startcode. I wanted a second Fob to have SOME spare; Dealer said they 'couldn't get one, they are on backorder'. I found them online for $99, bought one, Dealer then said they couldn't program it because I didn't get it from them..... I went ballistic.....

eventually figured out how to get thru PAKK configuration (with a borrowed phone), so I could set a BackupStartCode..... added my phone, which seems to drop BT connection, but usually re-connects if I turn BT off and back on.

so....... current mode of operation is:
- I put both my original, and my un-programmed Fob in the drawer at home
- I use PAAK when MME sees my phone
- I use door code + console BackupStartCode when PAAK doesn't see my phone

.... except when I park facing south, forget my sun shade over console, and console gets hot and stays black so I can't enter StartCode ... ;(

If you, or anyone would like to buy my spare un-programmed Ford Fob, I'll sell it to you for $99, plus $10 postage.
Send me text on my cell and we can work out details.
516 532 1776

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I gave up on PaaK. Just not reliable and aggravating. Worked less than 50% of the time. Maybe I will try again after they fix it, if they are capable of fixing it.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’m now using PaaK pretty much full-time. I’ve occasionally had to use the door PIN and car password (the correlation seems to be when the phone loses Bluetooth connectivity to the car).

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
PaaK is continuing to work more reliably for me.

This past weekend I had a weird moment. Running errands and as I went to get in the car I had pre-emptively went to open FordPass on my phone walking to the car. It froze, so I force closed and attempted to re-open. Froze again at the Ford logo. Car still unlocked for me on first try, got in, force-closed and reopened app, froze again. Car still started like normal.

The FordPass app did open eventually, but it was surprising to me that the car unlocked and started even with FordPass app not opening correctly.

jetermeyer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 300H, Acura TLX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
PaaK is continuing to work more reliably for me.

This past weekend I had a weird moment. Running errands and as I went to get in the car I had pre-emptively went to open FordPass on my phone walking to the car. It froze, so I force closed and attempted to re-open. Froze again at the Ford logo. Car still unlocked for me on first try, got in, force-closed and reopened app, froze again. Car still started like normal.

The FordPass app did open eventually, but it was surprising to me that the car unlocked and started even with FordPass app not opening correctly.
Or Ford could just allow us to put in a start code without PAAK? Has to be a simple change. Why is the start code only tied to PAAK?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Or Ford could just allow us to put in a start code without PAAK? Has to be a simple change. Why is the start code only tied to PAAK?
Just speculating, but I think when you go through the process to enroll in PaaK, you’re also “authenticating” that “you are you” to Ford, which they would want before allowing someone to set a password to start the car. It seems to be a way of establishing a form of 2-factor authentication (something you have and something you know) to create the car password (the 2FA being having your phone and being able to authenticate to Ford).

jetermeyer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 300H, Acura TLX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just speculating, but I think when you go through the process to enroll in PaaK, you’re also “authenticating” that “you are you” to Ford, which they would want before allowing someone to set a password to start the car. It seems to be a way of establishing a form of 2-factor authentication (something you have and something you know) to create the car password (the 2FA being having your phone and being able to authenticate to Ford).
That could be a reason. But many companies use 2FA by just txting to your phone. Ford has the number as part of your Fordpass App. It just seems like a good thing to be able to have the backup start without PAAK. Mostly of course because of all the issues with PAAK.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've only had my car for a couple days, but I too have had some minor issues with PaaK. When I can't start the car I wait about 15-30 seconds then it works. I've been away for almost a week so I haven't been able to see if the recent Ford Pass app updates have improved things.
Are you making sure to place the phone in the phone tray and to have FordPass running actively on your phone? I've found starting the car rarely works if my phone is still in my back pocket or if FordPass is inactive.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I always get the password prompt with PAAK. Sometimes if I wait, or ignore that, it will start and go. But pressing the little door button on the outside to lock the car doesn't work with my PAAK, and ironically I have to use the phone app lock button in ford pass.
I've found the same issue with using the outside door lock button; however, a good alternative is to lock with the number pad which doesn't need to authenticate with PaaK to work. If you hold 7-8 and 9-0 together for a second it will lock the doors without PaaK/fob.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Are you making sure to place the phone in the phone tray and to have FordPass running actively on your phone? I've found starting the car rarely works if my phone is still in my back pocket or if FordPass is inactive.
I can confirm that if I put my phone in the charge pad location, then even without unlocking my phone / opening the app that the car starts 100% of the time. If I leave it in my pocket it almost always tells me no key detected.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I can confirm that if I put my phone in the charge pad location, then even without unlocking my phone / opening the app that the car starts 100% of the time. If I leave it in my pocket it almost always tells me no key detected.
My experience has been that, once the phone has failed to open the door (I’ve had to open via PIN), it doesn’t matter where the phone is (pocket or charge pad) or whether or not I open the FordPass app. After opening the door via PIN because PaaK failed, I have to use the car password.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I KNOW they can, which is what pissed me off....
next closest Dealer is an hour drive away, and I'm ok with entering Code now that I have it set, so it's just not worth my time to argue with them or set up the second fob.
Bummer. Difficult dealers are no fun...
Sponsored