First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I tried the fob one day but found it not significantly more reliable than PaaK. I think the vehicle has issues that need to be resolved for either mechanism.

So I leave the fob in a junk drawer and rely on my phone and the very occasional backup password.

Yesterday was the very first time I went on a drive where the car was telling me no key was detected even after I started it with the backup password.

When I got to a red light, I restarted my Android phone and once it booted back up everything was groovy. So that might have been a Bluetooth issue on my phone.

One other note... I told Android to allow FordPass to always run in the background. I think this helps with PaaK reliability (and not having to remove phone from pocket at all), but at the cost of significantly more battery consumption. My phone is the Google Pixel 3a with Android 11.
Sponsored

Last edited:

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I have not yet setup my PaaK. I will set it up eventually, but not there yet. I'm used to a fob and it works for me, I will probably get a second fob. I don't completely trust my phone.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
For those having success (or issues) with PaaK, can you please list your phone? I don't have my car yet, but I'm hoping to use PaaK with my S20+. I agree that you'll likely have to tell Android not to optimize the FordPass app so it doesn't kill it if you don't want to first have to open the app.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Me: 100% PaaK for almost 2 months now

Wife: set up with PaaK but carries the fob

Wife is usually carrying things to the car and needs to get in every time without phone interaction. I don’t mind having to open the phone up if needed.

CarboFE

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE Carbonized Grey
Country flag
100% PAAK over the past 6 weeks, although reliability is a bit random and at times I've had to use my outside voice with it. Using the door and startup codes have worked flawlessly when needed.

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Phone. I've had to use the backup code a couple of times, but that has worked fine as well and phone is reconnected by the time I arrive.
Same here. I only use my phone but had to use the back up code once and it worked fine! I was surprised!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
For those having success (or issues) with PaaK, can you please list your phone? I don't have my car yet, but I'm hoping to use PaaK with my S20+. I agree that you'll likely have to tell Android not to optimize the FordPass app so it doesn't kill it if you don't want to first have to open the app.
Sure thing. Updated my post. My phone is the Google Pixel 3a with Android 11 and this month's security and Google Play updates.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
For the past few weeks, I have only been using my PAAK. I have android phone Samsung S10. It seems to work better over time with no issues past week.

Prior to this, I had both fob and phone with me and am not knowledgeable as to which took precedent at time. This is because sometimes, my radio station goes back to a default station. Currently it stays on the last one it was on when I shut off for the drive.

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Just wondering how many always use the fob or always use the phone. Anyone know how much a second fob costs?
I use my phone 100% of the time. Gave the 1 bulky fob to my wife to carry around in her purse (and also because she'll get frustrated if it doesn't work perfect each time). Haven't had to use the code to enter or drive yet. I've found it works best to put the phone on the charging pad to start. Generally have to push the start button twice - first time to get the "No Key Found" message, and the second time to get the car to start (sometimes also while displaying the "No Key Found" message).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve only been using PaaK. It sometimes won’t unlock the car when I approach but if I grab my phone and unlock it, it’s often enough to create the link.

My sense from these misfires is that it is not solely a FordPass app issue. I think iOS (and I would assume Android) have their own way of managing app resources on a phone and maybe the phone’s operating system is forcing the app into a deep sleep or something if not used recently. I never seem to have a PaaK failure if I recently had FordPass open before going outside.
Which is precisely why I worry about consistent dependability of PAAK. Every phone handles things a bit differently. And bluetooth is a bit of a crapshoot on many phones too.

The car has enough problems already not waking up dependably when it should. Adding phone quirks to that mix just seems it will add less dependability than I want for the keys to my car.

The phone is great for extra features though. Or redundant. I just prefer a fob for primary key dependability.

TOBG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use my FOB exclusively it is in my pocket so I always have it. I ordered another FOB agrivating as that is for a 55K car. I have not even programmed in the Phone. I carry my phone most of the time. When working in the garage the FOB is handy for me.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Just my phone (Pixel 5 I think), I leave that new-fangled key contraption in a box somewhere.

Sobeer

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FE MME
Country flag
I use PAAK on my Iphone 11 pro max, It works about 70% of the time. Some times just have to take the phone out of my pocket, some times have to open/close the Ford Pass app. The rest of time I just enter the codes. I can use the phones app to unlock the car start the car, the car can connect to my bluetooth, or carplay. But still get the error no key found. When I am showing off the car about 90% of the time PAAK will not work. It is pretty embarrassing to have such a nice car and have these problems. I know its all new and they will fix it over time. I also had a time that PAAK would not work and the alarm went off. So that was a lot of fun to deal with. Typed my code into car 3 times before it worked, the alarm just eventually stopped. Ford should really be embarrassed by all the P&C, EA, and PAAK issues. Not to mention that Ford still has my car for the last 3 days now because all the audio has stopped working.

Gina

First Name
Gina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Fob, always. Phone as a key is extremely flakey and unreliable. Why? You have to keep the app open at all times, which will continue to drain your phone battery as it's checking location etc. Also, if you're coming from getting groceries, shopping, whatever, why would I want to fumble to get my phone? We ended up purchasing a second fob.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
For the past few weeks, I have only been using my PAAK. I have android phone Samsung S10. It seems to work better over time with no issues past week.

Prior to this, I had both fob and phone with me and am not knowledgeable as to which took precedent at time. This is because sometimes, my radio station goes back to a default station. Currently it stays on the last one it was on when I shut off for the drive.
My wife and I both have Samsung S10e. We use the phone exclusively (however my wife sometimes uses the entry and start codes). One issue that bothers me is that PAAK does not start when you power your phone. You have to bring up FordPass to get it started. Once started, it will stay on as long as the phone is powered.

As for your radio comment, I think your fob has a different profile (could be guest) thank the PAAK. This would also affect seat and mirrors memory.
I named the profiles for me and my wife so that we know which is active. Sometimes I may be using my PAAK but my wife is driving (switching driver on a long drive) we can switch profile as required.
Sponsored