Do You Want Your Mustang Mach E to Make Sound?

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I called PAC to talk about their amplifier integration interface. This is used to add new aftermarket amps to the car. Anyways, the tech at PAC said they developed a external speaker system that connects to the rear of the car to add a ICE Mustang sound to the MME. They were selling through someone else. I indicated to the tech that I loved how quiet the car was and would probably pass. He seemed perplexed. I indicated I have grown up with V8's and love that sound, but also enjoy how quiet the car is on the road. I can hear my music without having to "turn it up".

I saw this on Youtube from CJ Pony Parts. A bit too much for me. Sorry if this a duplicate.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
you asking about my eMiata?

it's because I have a manual transmission with a clutch, and can actually put it in neutral, and rev the motor independantly from the drivetrain. Totally different motor/controller/transmission than the Mach-e
That’s super cool.

Just curious, with the e-Miata does the gear you’re in affect acceleration much or does it more just affect the top speed in that gear?

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I'm sorry that to read that you're having trouble comprehending the deceptive marketing aspect of that video. Jim Farley? Dave Parasek? Is that you? 🤔

I've taken my MME GT on JUST ONE multi-state road rally with friends containing plenty of high speed driving, twisty roads and high speed passing attempts. The MME falls flat on its face after 5 seconds or less at highway speeds. It also fall flat on its face if you give the accelerator the beans through more one consecutive corner. It definitely can't keep up with my friends ICE vehicles. Also, my HVBJB welded shut open shortly after that multi-state journey. The car just couldn't hand the stress. I was without the car for 6 weeks while it sat at the dealer due to the under-engineered part. Ford was quick to show us that video and give us the impression that the car had stamina but the car couldn't even handle a 1500 mile road rally before shitting the bed. I'm not confident that these clowns even put the car through its paces outside of a simulator. Why the heck would I take it to the track right now? Oh, wait. I can't! Do you know why? Because my goddamn HVBJB welded open again after 5000 miles of mostly driving it like a grandpa with poor eyesight. I even got the the software recall update thinking that might help my situation and at least give me a warning before things started to break again. NOPE. No warning. I DC fast charged 3x on one trip for the first time after driving 5000 senior citizen style miles due to the fear of my HVBJB going out again. HVBJB failed again. I'm currently without my car and waiting for my new HVBJB to be replaced.

This is not acceptable by any ones standards. Also, my bad for thinking that all 480 hp and 600 ft-lbs of torque would be accessible for more than just a few seconds. I initially thought I was going to get 480 hp consistently... not under 300hp. At this rate, maybe I'll get a chance to track it later this year or next year in unbridled extend and maybe be able to keep pace with a base model Subaru WRX.
What's funny is your interpretation of what you saw in that video!

What I saw = Guys wearing jackets doing 1 simulated drag race, for just a few seconds.
What you saw = A car that should be able to do it over and over, maybe on a hot day.

What I saw = Quick cuts of cornering, with some discussion of power distribution
What you saw = Ability to have full power north of 80 MPH for extended time

What I saw = 11 mins of select shots of driving on a closed course
What you saw = Ability to rally 1500 miles at WOT

When did you get your car? It's been well known for quite some time the limitations of the GT/PE's. Just sell it and get something that suits your needs. Life's too short to live with welded contactors.

FWIW, my car goes through corner after corner after corner at speeds of 45-65 without scaling back power, on the back roads by my house. Maybe something is wrong with yours beyond the design?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That’s super cool.

Just curious, with the e-Miata does the gear you’re in affect acceleration much or does it more just affect the top speed in that gear?
gear selection affects torque available at launch for sure, as well as speed since DC brushed motor I used (a Warp9) has a redline of 5500rpm

max torque is limited by traction with the eMiata being rear-wheel drive since tires I have on it are just 195/70r-14 in the rear. Starting in 2-gear requires a delicate touch to prevent wheel spin, starting in 3rd will chirp, but not spin, but has slightly slower accel 0-60... but almost makes up for it with one less shift.

I usually start in 3rd, and typically shift 3rd-5th under normal conditions.

I have found out the hard way (twice) that hard starts off the line with electric motor is very hard on transmissions designed to take about half the torque and clutched starts. So, I don't show off much in the eMiata with hard starts off the line anymore... it sure is fun going uphill and around corners 20-80mph

....but lets not derail this thread completely. check out Envirokarma.org if you want to read more about it.

This is what happens to 3rd gear when you do too many WOT launches in 3rd gear with a brushed electric motor that kicks out around 160kw to a transmission intended for about half that....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do You Want Your Mustang Mach E to Make Sound? 20190829_tranny_lr

Last edited:

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag

What I saw = Guys wearing jackets doing 1 simulated drag race, for just a few seconds.
What you saw = A car that should be able to do it over and over, maybe on a hot day.

What I saw = Quick cuts of cornering, with some discussion of power distribution

When did you get your car? It's been well known for quite some time the limitations of the GT/PE's. Just sell it and get something that suits your needs. Life's too short to live with welded contactors.

FWIW, my car goes through corner after corner after corner at speeds of 45-65 without scaling back power, on the back roads by my house. Maybe something is wrong with yours beyond the design?
:rolleyes:

Got it. You're a film detective with the ability to see parts of the film that have been edited out .

My Mach E delivery was one of the early batches of 2021 deliveries and that video was the ONLY GT /GTPE video out around that time. Ford clearly embargoed the reviews for months and everyone was left scratching their head wondering why. Now we all know why. The brochures, articles, dealer literature... none of it was transparent.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Fair enough. On your 1500 mile rally, did you at least have it in the Extend mode?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fair enough. On your 1500 mile rally, did you at least have it in the Extend mode?
Sure, somehow wanting 1/4 mile of full throttle or the ability to run a few laps as fast as possible in translates into needing to run a 1500 miles at WOt

Hyperbole rarely helps your argument.

A road rally is just a high speed road trip. Something any new vehicle should be capable of.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

People are going to see and believe what they want or are predisposed to believe in that video. While my personal belief is aligned closely with yours, others aren’t. The question is whether those ”disappointed” with the PEs performance, particularly the 5-second rule, had legitimate expectations. I think there’s a good amount of truth in their complaints. I also seriously doubt that Ford set out to build a GT-PE that was “gimped”. The 5-second rule was likely a compromise just like everything else in a car design.

But back to noise. If my car can’t make external Jetsons sounds then make it quiet. Jetsons or nothing! That’s a hill worth dying in. ;)

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Sure, somehow wanting 1/4 mile of full throttle or the ability to run a few laps as fast as possible in translates into needing to run a 1500 miles at WOt

Hyperbole rarely helps your argument.

A road rally is just a high speed road trip. Something any new vehicle should be capable of.
You're making less and less sense at this point. You're complaining about the ability of the car to do extended high speed accelerations, but refused to put it in the mode that Ford specifically provided for such activity? Mmmkay.

People are going to see and believe what they want or are predisposed to believe in that video. While my personal belief is aligned closely with yours, others aren’t. The question is whether those ”disappointed” with the PEs performance, particularly the 5-second rule, had legitimate expectations. I think there’s a good amount of truth in their complaints. I also seriously doubt that Ford set out to build a GT-PE that was “gimped”. The 5-second rule was likely a compromise just like everything else in a car design.

But back to noise. If my car can’t make external Jetsons sounds then make it quiet. Jetsons or nothing! That’s a hill worth dying in. ;)
I think you're right. They didn't plan on the 5 second limit being needed, but were too late in the design cycle to do much if anything about it once they identified it as a problem.

The Jetsons would be a great option. A Top Fuel dragster would be fun too.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Top Fuel dragster would be fun too.
I grew up in Fremont California back when the drag strip was open and was a big thing nationally. We were a good 10 mikes away. Yo could hear the cars going at night. Amazingly loud apparently.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're making less and less sense at this point. You're complaining about the ability of the car to do extended high speed accelerations, but refused to put it in the mode that Ford specifically provided for such activity? Mmmkay.

I think you're right. They didn't plan on the 5 second limit being needed, but were too late in the design cycle to do much if anything about it once they identified it as a problem.

The Jetsons would be a great option. A Top Fuel dragster would be fun too.
Unbridled extend mode sucks.

Instead of 5 seconds of full power, you get none. It’s as slow as a regular 4X. It doesn’t extend “high speed accelerations,” it just makes you slow all the time.

There is a reason why if you search for “unbridled extend” on the forum…… very few results.

People try it once and never use it again. Making your car as slow as a 4X totally defeats the purpose of having a GT.

Digitalsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GTPE (replaced 2021 Premium RWD)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
you asking about my eMiata?

it's because I have a manual transmission with a clutch, and can actually put it in neutral, and rev the motor independantly from the drivetrain. Totally different motor/controller/transmission than the Mach-e
Not the miata, the electric car in the video that they liked the sound added.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Unbridled extend mode sucks.

Instead of 5 seconds of full power, you get none. It’s as slow as a regular 4X. It doesn’t extend “high speed accelerations,” it just makes you slow all the time.

There is a reason why if you search for “unbridled extend” on the forum…… very few results.

People try it once and never use it again. Making your car as slow as a 4X totally defeats the purpose of having a GT.
Why haven't you sold it and bought something that better suits your needs?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why haven't you sold it and bought something that better suits your needs?
Because there currently isn’t a car that I want more.

Just because you don’t like something about the car doesn’t mean the solution is “why don’t you sell it…”

The software is buggy, 5 sec limit sucks, but I still enjoy the car despite these things.

Fix those two things and it would be damn near perfect for me. Luckily the software has been getting better.

EVERY car is a compromise.

But if someone else builds a better looking, faster, better driving car for near the same price? Yup, I’ll sell it.

Unfortunately that car doesn’t exist yet.

Now if they can keep the price of the Macan EV GTS reasonable……..

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Mach-E GT, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hell YES. Sometimes it would fun to turn on sound emulating an ICE GT Mustang.
Sponsored