Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Did some math and that's what my first month of home charging consumed. That's like charging from 20% to 85% 25 times over. I have made a few longer trips (1-200 miles), but I've also used charging stations for those. I have about 2600 miles on the odo, and I'm usually hovering around 3 mi/kwh.

your profile does not show your location City... where are you?
If its been cold, I wouldn't be too surprised if your mi/kWhr drops by 10-15%

if you want to really separate your EV consumption from everything else, you might consider getting a 'clamp ammeter' monitor, and installing on your charge circuit feeders. Something from Sense.com (about $300), or a simpler one from Efergy.com (about $120).
Sponsored

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Haven't looked into solar, but I am on a TOU plan that's rather decent.
If you’re on time of use you have a smart meter. Log into your utility provider and look at your electrical usage per hour vs per month. If they don’t have a display for it you should be able to download a spreadsheet with everything broken down to the hour. Assuming you charge at night, it will be very easy to see what’s going on.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Is someone in your house possibly mining crypto without your knowledge? I've heard that really runs up the electricity bill.

OP
OP
physib

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If you’re on time of use you have a smart meter. Log into your utility provider and look at your electrical usage per hour vs per month. If they don’t have a display for it you should be able to download a spreadsheet with everything broken down to the hour. Assuming you charge at night, it will be very easy to see what’s going on.
Yeah their analyze link is broken. I'll see if it works later.

OP
OP
physib

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Is someone in your house possibly mining crypto without your knowledge? I've heard that really runs up the electricity bill.
Ha, I'm the only person who would know about that stuff and I certainly am not.

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
While everybody is concentrating on the car, I'd wonder if something else has changed in your house that you are unaware of or aren't considering? Using the meter reading as your guide is measuring the "river" far upstream from where your car's energy is diverted. It may be unfair to blame the car even if it seems to be the most obvious culprit.

OP
OP
physib

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
While everybody is concentrating on the car, I'd wonder if something else has changed in your house that you are unaware of or aren't considering? Using the meter reading as your guide is measuring the "river" far upstream from where your car's energy is diverted. It may be unfair to blame the car even if it seems to be the most obvious culprit.
I don't know if I'm blaming the car yet. That's also why I posted here to gather some ideas.

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
Is your fridge running all the time? Do you use electricity for heat or a HVAC fan that is stuck on 100% of the time?

If I were you and I wanted to work the issue in an organized fashion I would take meter readings every 24 hours for a week. I would charge your car every other day and then compare the days with charge to the days without charge and make the assumption that the differences between the days charging and not charging is due to your car. I would then look to see how much that difference agrees or disagrees with what your car or smart charger (if you have one) says.

Another question if we are to blame the car is where all that extra electricity is going? It doesn't just disappear into the ether. It would manifest as heat.

nor3bo

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Prem 4X
Country flag
Yup, maybe read the meter for an hour before charging to get a baseline. Then charge without changing any other consumption in the house and take the difference.
Keep in mind things like central heat / AC may kick in automatically, but it would be a closer approximation.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Another question if we are to blame the car is where all that extra electricity is going? It doesn't just disappear into the ether. It would manifest as heat.
This is the biggest thing for me. That energy is going somewhere. You really really don't want it going to the car charging with that much loss since I would be things would be getting really hot.

Energy consumption for me varies quite a bit. In Texas it can be 80 one day and 40 the next in November. Outside temp is my biggest driver of electricity usage. My usage is more like 3000 kWh/month so a little plus/minus here and there is hard to notice.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Did some math and that's what my first month of home charging consumed. That's like charging from 20% to 85% 25 times over. I have made a few longer trips (1-200 miles), but I've also used charging stations for those. I have about 2600 miles on the odo, and I'm usually hovering around 3 mi/kwh.
Remember our range is based on the battery Kwh. In your reading you are grabbing it fro mthe charger. Only roughly 85% of that is making it to the battery so in your case a little more than 1215.5 made it to the battery.

Ned

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
waiting for ford
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It’s really simple, take you average monthly miles (minus when you charged away from home) and divide it by your m/kWh average. That gives you the best estimate, you can’t compare to other people since driving habits make a huge impact. If my average is 4m/kWh and yours is 3m/KWh - you are going to use 25% more energy charging.
Doesn’t your utilities give you consumption down to each hour? Should be easy to calculate based on when you charge the car.

also, don’t waste time calling the “charger” manufacturer. It’s just a fancy switch it won’t be using a bunch of energy unless you’ve got a leak to ground-you would know.
In Prescott, AZ we can go on the power companies web site and get minute by minute usage information for our home.

PaulA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MINI Convertible
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use the mobile charger, so I don’t have precise numbers. We took delivery in late July, so I compared last year’s August through November bills to this year’s. We used a total of 1,970 additional kWh this year. We’re retired, but still drive about 1,000 miles per month. Based upon my admittedly unscientific analysis, your usage does seem high.

Mark-E

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
Chemical engineer
Country flag
Just looked at my ChargePoint history. Keep in mind I haven't been driving a whole lot since i'm working from home:

October:
424 kWh
1283 estimated miles driven

November:
606 kWh
1723 Estimated miles driven
A little less driving but here are
My numbers
November 251 kWh 1000 odometer miles
December 242 kWh 1100 odometer miles.
the “this trip” data has significantly effected how I drive… not pushing the 480HP frequently at all, but greatthat it’s there whenasked for ?

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
$.08/kwh here in Auburn, IN
Data from Chargepoint app
Nov $33 and 417Kwh and 1,184 miles
Dec $26 and 322 kWh and 915 miles
These are the only full months of use of my GT.
Seems my cost per kWh is higher than I would expect with a 10% loss.
Sponsored

Last edited: