Does anyone have the procedure for 21S42 - Panoramic roof recall?

neiloakley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD LR
Country flag
My UK dealer is telling me the windscreen has to come out. I’m not convinced (and not keen on them doing it as they haven’t done one before).
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks - looks like the windscreen does have to come out to remove the headlining.
The windshield doesn't have to come out to remove the headliner, but it does have to come out to replace its adhesive. Not sure if the reason is the same in the UK, but it seems like it would be since they were all made in the same factory.

OP
OP

neiloakley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD LR
Country flag
The windshield doesn't have to come out to remove the headliner, but it does have to come out to replace its adhesive. Not sure if the reason is the same in the UK, but it seems like it would be since they were all made in the same factory.
I think i've figured it out. There were two different recalls.

21C22 - Windshield
21S42 - Panoramic roof

I had assumed that because mine wasn't subject to 21C22, the windshield wouldn't need to come out. But looks like 21C22 is JUST the windshield where as 21S42 is the panoramic roof AND windshield.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

21C22 - Windshield
21S42 - Panoramic roof

I had assumed that because mine wasn't subject to 21C22, the windshield wouldn't need to come out. But looks like 21C22 is JUST the windshield where as 21S42 is the panoramic roof AND windshield.
Right, I believe that all cars that need the roof recall, also need the windshield recall. The reverse is not true though since some cars don't have the glass roof.

OP
OP

neiloakley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD LR
Country flag
Right, I believe that all cars that need the roof recall, also need the windshield recall. The reverse is not true though since some cars don't have the glass roof.
Makes sense. Thank you

Deleted member 3569

21S42 is a Safety Recall for Panoramic Sunroof that it will need an approved foam seal (Ford Part #LJ8Z-19B822-AA) inserted in the underside of the sunroof, the sunroof glass will remain in place but all the trim pieces and interior cabin headliner will have to be removed.

21C22 is a Compliance Recall that will require the windshield glass to be removed, the edges scrapped clean and proper adhesive applied.

The Service Dept will check your VIN against OASIS to see if any FAS are needed for your vehicle. FAS are unique to every market, i.e. it will be different for US, EU, Canada, Australia, China, etc...

21S42 & 21C22 are not required for all models but 21P22 is needed as part of the Customer Satisfaction Program software update, among other thing to open "modules" to accept OTA features ...Frunk button? ... blueCruise for Job 1 production vehicles?

Last edited by a moderator:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

21C22 - Windshield
21S42 - Panoramic roof

Right. Also, someone posted the UK versions of the service technician instructions in our UK thread. I don't have a link to the exact post, but I've reattached them here for you.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/uk-customers.588/

Attachments

BST848

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e LR
Occupation
Director
Has anyone had a problem getting a Ford Dealership to carry out the recall work on the panoramic roof and windscreen?
I live near Aberdeen and have been given the run around having booked the local Dealership only to find they are not a Ford recognised bodyshop.
Tried contacting the Mach E help team and that was a waste of time. Found Park’s in Perth 70 miles from home and they where where car was purchased and have been a great help.
Tried to contact Ford MD to take up the original offer of a pick up and delivery service and imagine the surprise to find that offer completely ignored and offered only platitudes.

OP
OP

neiloakley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD LR
Country flag
Unfortunately, yes. Seems to be a few reports (myself included) of dealers not being ready for the work involved, not knowing the procedure, not having processes established with glazing contractors, not ordering required parts in advance etc. Some of this will be due to the cars being relatively new and many dealers not having worked on one yet, the rest is just down to poor planning and service.

I should also add, some have had brilliant service from their dealers with no problems.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Unfortunately, yes. Seems to be a few reports (myself included) of dealers not being ready for the work involved, not knowing the procedure, not having processes established with glazing contractors, not ordering required parts in advance etc. Some of this will be due to the cars being relatively new and many dealers not having worked on one yet, the rest is just down to poor planning and service.

I should also add, some have had brilliant service from their dealers with no problems.
Yep, my dealership has had my car since the 10th and still don't have it back yet. Figured it would take some time and actually I'd prefer they go slow to do it right vs quickly to get it done.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The procedure to do this is hours, not days. Ford has allotted 2 days because they have to disassemble trim and headliner, line the car with plastic cloths, coordinate the glass guy, weight for things to cure, put it back together, and clean it.

3-5 days is what my dealer quoted. Weeks means either they broke the windshield and had to order a new one, the glass guy didn't show up, or something else happened.

OP
OP

neiloakley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD LR
Country flag
The procedure to do this is hours, not days. Ford has allotted 2 days because they have to disassemble trim and headliner, line the car with plastic cloths, coordinate the glass guy, weight for things to cure, put it back together, and clean it.

3-5 days is what my dealer quoted. Weeks means either they broke the windshield and had to order a new one, the glass guy didn't show up, or something else happened.
I think you are getting confused between the two recalls. 21S42 is the pano roof recall. Can be completed in one day in all cases, and the windscreen doesn't need to come out

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think you are getting confused between the two recalls. 21S42 is the pano roof recall. Can be completed in one day in all cases, and the windscreen doesn't need to come out
I wasn't getting confused, I was commenting on doing both without realizing this thread was the roof only. So I was confused. ;)
Sponsored