Does anyone plan to use AM radio in their Mach-E?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Only 1 am station on this island and its signal is blocked by not one, but two 14,000 ft tall mountains. Odds of listening to it ... almost zero.

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Yes, so MME doesn't come with AM radio? If so, it's not a deal breaker, just stream from your phone.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, so MME doesn't come with AM radio? If so, it's not a deal breaker, just stream from your phone.
The packaging guide says it has an AM/FM stereo. The dealer training says it has HD radio plus Sirius/XM.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The standard alternatives are all theoretically available, although none pick up the full "local AM news station" vibe in a guaranteed way:
  1. SiriusXM, which with standard terrestrial repeaters is fairly solid. Gets you specific talk radio, national news, and sports, but doesn't get you local news. (the local XM stations that would be hyperlocal traffic and weather for top metro regions seem to have gone away)... requires subscription.
  2. Streaming on your phone, which pretty much every station does somehow... requires data to be available and paid for.
  3. So-called "HD Radio," which offers FM subchannels that often are rebroadcasts of channels by the same owner, sometimes simulcasts of AM stations. For example, in the Cleveland, OH market, AM 1490 is simulcast on 93.1-3. (you can look up channels at Stations - HD Radio (hdradio.com) )
  4. For talk specifically, you could do podcasts over Bluetooth streaming that were already downloaded to your phone. May not be available for specific shows of course but the general idea is there.
  5. For talk specifically, you could also do audiobooks, if that is your thing. Many libraries will do them free through Overdrive, etc. or there's always Audible and the like.
As I said, none of these are guaranteed or full replacements, and I don't claim they are. Just giving ideas.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
As I said, none of these are guaranteed or full replacements, and I don't claim they are. Just giving ideas.
(warning: slightly off-topic and serious)

BTW for what it's worth, we live in a bit of a golden age of podcasting. There's podcasts for just about every interest with lots of different styles. My personal list includes two Weird Al podcasts and six (!) Star Trek podcasts (two "serious," four "comedy" ?), true crime, news/public radio like WWDTM and Car Talk (all reruns at this point because, well, one of the brothers passed away and they stopped making new ones years ago), two "bad movie" podcasts, two professional science fiction/fantasy story podcasts, a podcast done by a MI lemon law attorney, a podcast all about etymology... over two dozen total.

I have hundreds of hours of back content - I never expect to get through them all actually. If you want to support your favorite, between podcast networks, Patreon, and companies like Spotify, it's usually pretty easy to do so. Many podcasts are happy to give bonus content for as little as $1/month (it's a "make it up in volume" kind of thing) on protected feeds.

Anyway the point is if you've ignored podcasts, it's worth taking a look at them nowadays, if "listening to talk in the car" is at all a thing for you.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
And
You guys that do listen to AM could probably find a free app to stream the stations you listen to in much higher fidelity than the AM radio (and you could listen across the country as well).
and have it count against my data allotment? No thanks.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
No, I like to ride in total silence!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@GoGoGadgetMachE: I listen from time to time. ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does anyone plan to use AM radio in their Mach-E? Screenshot_20200903-174636
Higher numbers than I have on my current app, which apparently is the same app you use, but my current app only goes back to 2019. I've been listening since Windows Phone 7 was released with built-in podcast support through wireless Zune sync.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does anyone plan to use AM radio in their Mach-E? 1599180750451

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Higher numbers than I have on my current app, which apparently is the same app you use, but my current app only goes back to 2019. I've been listening since Windows Phone 7 was released with built-in podcast support through wireless Zune sync.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does anyone plan to use AM radio in their Mach-E? 1599180750451
Looks like you're rapidly catching up on me though. I've been spending more time looking for Mach-E "intel" lately, and less time listening to podcasts while I do that.

Yep, Podcast Addict. It's awesome. Definitely my most used app!

I had Windows Phones, too! HTC Radar 4G -- my first "smart phone," followed by HTC Windows Phone 8X, Nokia Lumia 521, and Lumia 925. Besides missing lots of apps, that was a stellar phone experience.

Here's the geeky Mustang Mach-E buyer's subset of my podcast subscriptions:

Automotive News: Daily Drive... Not that great, but it's meant for people running dealerships and in the auto industry. I'm trying to get their perspective.

Autonocast: That's what's playing as I type this. Great podcast!!

Inside EVs Weekly Podcast: WAY WAY better than the utter crap stories they typically post on their web site.

Mustangology: I'm not really into this... but trying to understand the #NotAMustang crowd.

No Parking Podcast: from the guy behind Argo AI, along with new-ish employee Alex Roy (who's also in Autonocast).

Plugged In from Driving.ca and Andrew McCredie: discusses the battery electric scene in Canada.

Automotive News: Shift... Similar topics as Autonocast, I guess, but much drier and harder to listen to. Nearly no critical analysis. Just like the rest of Automotive News, it's intended for people in the industry. I might unsubscribe.

The Energy Gang: I just subscribed a few days ago... No opinion yet.

Wheel Bearings: Awesome podcast about new cars... Even handed reviews (IMHO) and good conversations between the hosts. They do a good job covering electric vehicles, too.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I had Windows Phones, too! HTC Radar 4G -- my first "smart phone," followed by HTC Windows Phone 8X, Nokia Lumia 521, and Lumia 925. Besides missing lots of apps, that was a stellar phone experience.
I drove to the Chicago Microsoft Store launch morning to pick up my Dell Venue Pro.

I still sometimes want a real keyboard on a slider. Just sometimes, though ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does anyone plan to use AM radio in their Mach-E? 1599182000211
Sponsored