Does anyone plan to use AM radio in their Mach-E?

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Does the MME come with a tape player? I can plug my portable CD player in using my tape deck adapter. Then I'll download all my music, burn it to a writable CD and get CD carrier for my sun visor...
Sponsored

mountp

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB ME FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It better work fine. I know that the BMW i3 disabled the AM radio. My previous BMW 330i had horrible AM reception. So maybe the German's don't know how to get it to work?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
No, I like to ride in total silence!
Me too. I'm happy to find out that I'm not alone.

For the 7 years in my CMax I've never once used AM/FM/CD. I occasionally play music from my wife's iPhone (through USB). Maybe 3 times a year.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The U.S. MME will support AM radio. Not sure about the other regions, as their sites aren't this specific.

1599178794855.png
I'm surprised this was even a real question. I assumed the OP was just thinking out loud. I can't even imagine a vehicle sold in the US (especially a high tech one) wouldn't have something as fundamental as AM radio. That's like not having cup holders.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm surprised this was even a real question. I assumed the OP was just thinking out loud. I can't even imagine a vehicle sold in the US (especially a high tech one) wouldn't have something as fundamental as AM radio. That's like not having cup holders.
There really are cars that lack AM radio, though.

BMW i3:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098893_bmw-i3-electric-car-quirk-no-am-radio--but-why

Tesla Model S and X owners can actually pay $2,500 to have their AM (and FM and satellite) radio removed:
https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment

Tesla Model 3 and Y do not support AM radio. The first customers receiving Model 3s got them without support for FM radio or even Bluetooth audio streaming. Tesla pushed those features as an OTA update sometime after initial deliveries.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Tesla Model S and X owners can actually pay $2,500 to have their AM (and FM and satellite) radio removed:
https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment
It may sound absurd. But There's reasonable technical explanations.

The newer AM/FM antennas in S/X communicate with the newer head unit using digital signals. The older AM/FM antennas in S/X communicate with the older head unit using analog signals. Therefore, if you retrofit older cars with the newer head unit, the head unit and the antennas become incompatible. Presumably, replacing the antennas is impractical because it requires tearing too many things apart.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
Yep. I don't listen as much as I used to, but AM radio is still a big deal here in Metro Detroit.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I don't always listen to radio . . . but when I do, it is am.

Our local am station is the only one that carries the High School Football games here in Canton, OH, and if you don't think HS Football is a big deal here, you've never been here.

Seriously, I am in the same boat with Podcasts as some of the rest of you. 99% of what I listen to is Podcasts or Audible books. The Apple Podcast app does not give stats, but I listen to the shows on the Twit Network, The Daily, Serial, Freakanomics, Mindscape, if you love history all the Dan Carlin Podcasts, and now also inside EV's.

I have also been an Audible listener for a long time. I have 390 titles in my library. When I started this job 5 years ago and have a daily 100 mile total commute, I went to the 2 book a month subscription.

The interesting thing is that I hardly EVER listen to music in the car. When I do, it is when I am on some sort of a binge - Like a Queen binge after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. Music is for when I am on my bike or working out.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag

The newer AM/FM antennas in S/X communicate with the newer head unit using digital signals. The older AM/FM antennas in S/X communicate with the older head unit using analog signals. Therefore, if you retrofit older cars with the newer head unit, the head unit and the antennas become incompatible. Presumably, replacing the antennas is impractical because it requires tearing too many things apart.
you just made all that up so you could "say" head unit right? ;)

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
Yep. Local news, weather, and traffic with one button push.

But I usually like to listen to the sound of the engine. Shift, crackle, pop!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

This is puzzling. If the antennas are the same because they're impractical to access/replace, then those original antennas are still suitably designed for AM and FM reception.

It's also unlikely that the old AM/FM antennas are useful to any new capability of the new MCU (aside from AM/FM reception, but they specifically excluded that). The only new radio signal the manufacturer's page mentions is support for 5 GHz WiFi. Using antennas designed for vastly different wavelengths might work, but not well. More likely, the 5 GHz antenna is packaged somewhere near or inside the new MCU.

roger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac XT4
Country flag
Yes, most definitely, I use AM most of the time for local news, talk and sports. I hate using a smartphone as suggested with apps, just a pain changing channels. AM has so many commercials I am a station changer. I rarely listen to music in the car unless on a long trip.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Maybe. I use my cup holders all the time. AM, not so much.

Starting cranks used to be fundamental in cars too. In a few years we’ll say the same thing about gas tanks.
Sponsored