Does anyone plan to use AM radio in their Mach-E?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Maybe. I use my cup holders all the time. AM, not so much.

Starting cranks used to be fundamental in cars too. In a few years we’ll say the same thing about gas tanks.
There are two "pop business" books about the Ford Taurus. One is called "Taurus" and is about the first generation. There is a story in there about cup holders.

My first car didn't have them - I bought a center tray for the bench seat and a couple that hung off the window slot of the door. Most American cars didn't have them back then. But the Taurus sure as hell did, because Ford ignored consumer research telling them consumers didn't want to pay for such a silly thing. And sure enough, Consumer Reports was like, "FINALLY! CUPHOLDERS!". (I am compressing the story here.)

Both "Taurus" (Eric Taub) and "Car" (about the second, "oval" generation) are worth reading if you are in to auto history at all. They are out of print so you might need to get a ebook or used copy.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Starting cranks used to be fundamental in cars too. In a few years we’ll say the same thing about gas tanks.
Except AM radio isn't going away. There's 4700 AM radio stations in the US, with no signs of them going away. Failing to offer built-in access to that (for something so ubiquitous) would be a serious mistake. Which is why that's not happening.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Except AM radio isn't going away. There's 4700 AM radio stations in the US, with no signs of them going away. Failing to offer built-in access to that (for something so ubiquitous) would be a serious mistake. Which is why that's not happening.
I also think AM is here to stay, but for a different reason. It doesn't cost much, and there's no easy way to add it as an accessory into a car.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag

I bet in 5 years I bet there will be more vehicles without gas tanks than without AM radios.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
(warning: slightly off-topic and serious)

BTW for what it's worth, we live in a bit of a golden age of podcasting. There's podcasts for just about every interest with lots of different styles. My personal list includes two Weird Al podcasts and six (!) Star Trek podcasts (two "serious," four "comedy" ?), true crime, news/public radio like WWDTM and Car Talk (all reruns at this point because, well, one of the brothers passed away and they stopped making new ones years ago), two "bad movie" podcasts, two professional science fiction/fantasy story podcasts, a podcast done by a MI lemon law attorney, a podcast all about etymology... over two dozen total.

I have hundreds of hours of back content - I never expect to get through them all actually. If you want to support your favorite, between podcast networks, Patreon, and companies like Spotify, it's usually pretty easy to do so. Many podcasts are happy to give bonus content for as little as $1/month (it's a "make it up in volume" kind of thing) on protected feeds.

Anyway the point is if you've ignored podcasts, it's worth taking a look at them nowadays, if "listening to talk in the car" is at all a thing for you.
I listen to Podcasts almost exclusively. It's the best way to drill down into content you are interested in without a bunch of commercials you are not interested in. Like GoGoGadgetMachE I have so many podcasts available, I will never get through them all. I just did a huge purge to delete some old stuff that I knew was no longer relevant. I recommend them highly. I listen to comedy, political, hobby and cooking podcasts. There is so much stuff to listen to, I am always finding cool new ones and having to delete old ones.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
My wife listens to AM all the time. I only listen to AM when NPR is running a pledge drive.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Roentgen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep grand cherokee
Country flag
Yes. Sports, news, talk.

Seems like almost a sin to listen to tinny AM when you have a nice sound system, but I don't want to listen to music all the time.
Yes some sports programs are only on am

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
The last time I used AM radio was when a 8-track tape jammed up the tape player and I had no choice...........

Beholden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taurus SHO
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Of course, AM hasn’t died yet. FM is going the way of MTV, full of useless yacking and ads, with the occasional song thrown in. It’s streaming music or AM for intellectual discussions you won’t hear on MSM that is mostly geared to the attention deficit crowd.

Beholden

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Does it count if I listen to Everclear "AM Radio" while driving my MME?