Does anyone use the Ford Connected Charge Station?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13372
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 13372

Does anyone use the Ford Connected Charge Station? I know there are other home charger options, just want to know what people think about this option. I have a 60-amp dedicated circuit installed and three wires running to a box in the garage where the car will be. I can use the Ford charger or any other that uses the three-wire configuration. I also have a dedicated 50-amp circuit, GFCI breaker, and NEMA 14-50 outlet installed, so I can use the included portable charger as soon as the car arrives.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Rose 2022 Mach E

First Name
Rose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Country flag
I also have one and have had no issues, it works well. I went with the Ford charger because I was new to EV’s and when I looked at other makes I didn’t know what I was buying so I played it safe and bought the Ford one. I do agree that you can get other brands cheaper.

I had the charger installed outside where I mainly park but I’m going to have the NEMA 14-50 plug installed in the garage and will use the included charger when I park in there.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I've got one, at the time I was able to get a slight discount ($720 I think) and the tax credit, if my utility had had any offers I probably would have gone a different route. Now that I know more I think there's some better options for the price, probably would have gotten one with a longer cable (and probably better support, although I haven't actually had any issues). That said, I like it, the "Insights" roll into the main Ford Pass app, you get charging kWH details which is handy (some others can go further and convert to $ based on your rate), and you can adjust the amps on it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does anyone use the Ford Connected Charge Station? Screenshot_20220625-102643

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I got mine for free by rebate with My Job 2 purchase. It works and charges (if you can figure out the proper dip switch setting settings which are wrong in the book and a huge safety hazard). Its 100% plastic inside and out. It could have been the best charger......... I think it's terrible and Ford could have done so much better. It works, but the metering, integration of utility rates, time of use charge schedules, overall reporting and alarming is terrible. I do not know if I would install in the elements. It's metering is also inaccurate. It once said I charged over 15 KWH in 1 hour at a 24 amp setpoint (really only 5.7 kWh). Here is a sample of the reporting vs Chargepoint for example. Gray background is Ford. White is chargepoint. I also can start stop charging reliably and remotely with the chargepoint app.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Does anyone use the Ford Connected Charge Station? CP summary

CP 3.png

CP2.png

charge 2.jpg

charge 1.jpg

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’ve got one too.
Works fine as an EVSE. Looking at the design as an electrical engineer it seemed safe and adequate. Never had a problem with it stopping charge prematurely.

Software is trash and they don’t update. Metering is inaccurate. Integration into FordPass is nice; but I never use it. Just treat it like a dumb EVSE

Bullitt_&_MME

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Bullitt; 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
Mine is fine, and hasn't been an issue for charging. As stated earlier, the design is fine, and the electronics are robust enough that I felt it was solid.

That said, I have broken the thumb clip twice by bumping into the unit in my garage while holstered on the wall. There is no "give" when you bump it, and the plastic clip that engages when plugged in (then disengages when you press the thumb button) - broke off. I used plastic epoxy and a ring or two of black electrical tape to fix it, but now I never holster it. I just coil up the cord and leave the charge head dangling.

All of this could be my fault due to where I placed it, I guess - but I have seen a few comments here/there about people having similar breaks... oh well.
Sponsored