Does Apple Car Play use up my monthly Verizon data allowance?

Frank Katz

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius 2016 Crosstrek
Occupation
Ret'd
Country flag
In the last two months I seem to be using twice the amount of cellular data as in the past. Might that be because I use Sync4 to connect to Apple Car Play?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It depends what you’re using CarPlay for. If you’re using apps that require the Internet, then yes.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I believe iphone has a way to track data usage by app in settings

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You can view how much cellular data each app is using by going to Settings > Cellular then scroll down and you will see the lifetime data each app has used since you have had your phone unless you "Reset Statistics" at the bottom of the screen. I would reset the statistics so you can start tracking which app is using the most data now that you are using CarPlay.

Every app is turned on by default to use cellular data in case wi-fi is not available but you can turn them off individually with the button next to each app. For me, most of my cellular data on CarPlay is being used by the music app since I use Apple Music. Second is Maps for navigation. I do have an unlimited cellular data plan so it is not an issue.

OP
OP
Frank Katz

Frank Katz

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius 2016 Crosstrek
Occupation
Ret'd
Country flag
You can view how much cellular data each app is using by going to Settings > Cellular then scroll down and you will see the lifetime data each app has used since you have had your phone unless you "Reset Statistics" at the bottom of the screen. I would reset the statistics so you can start tracking which app is using the most data now that you are using CarPlay.

Every app is turned on by default to use cellular data in case wi-fi is not available but you can turn them off individually with the button next to each app. For me, most of my cellular data on CarPlay is being used by the music app since I use Apple Music. Second is Maps for navigation. I do have an unlimited cellular data plan so it is not an issue.
Thanks, Mark, that's very helpful.
Sponsored