Does Departure Times Work Consistently for Anyone?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Departure times have not worked for me since last fall, perhaps the 3.5.x series, perhaps the 3.6.x series, I honestly no longer recall. At least it’s consistent, it doesn’t work no matter what you do or how you set it up. It’s not a huge deal here, but it did make a range difference back when it worked.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Departure times have not worked for me since last fall, perhaps the 3.5.x series, perhaps the 3.6.x series, I honestly no longer recall. At least it’s consistent, it doesn’t work no matter what you do or how you set it up. It’s not a huge deal here, but it did make a range difference back when it worked.
If it gets below 68F then it will. Has to be better easier on the car and it's nicer drive. Not required but nice to have. You have tried to set it up multiple times in the car with no joy? Does the schedule stay in the car or does it disappear? I say 2 in 3 it works here. Have you tried waking it up shortly after it misses?

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
Mine works fine. It takes a long time to load up so multiple settings require patience. Sometimes I find my car fully on, lights on, heat full on, steering wheel heated, seat heater on high. I don’t like that so I don’t use departure times as a rule.
I agree it would be nice to hit one button for instant warm up.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Based on your experiences and with our MME and Ford Pass app I conclude two foundational issues. The first is a Ford software team ongoing architecture decision to synchronize charge and departure settings with a central server. I think this is a problem because settings only need to be synched between the Ford Pass app and the vehicle - no central server required. This creates an issue determining which settings are authoritative, i.e. at the server or at the vehicle or at the Ford Pass app? A central server could be used for logging so Ford could track performance or issues, but not for controlling what happens at the vehicle.

Second architecture problem is conflating departure times with charging the battery. I realize that electricity is being pulled by the vehicle to perform both functions, but preparing the cabin has no relation to charging the battery. Yes preparing the vehicle for departure times also warms/cools the battery, but that electricity does not charge the vehicle.

This is my reverse-engineering attempt, I realize. But I wanted to share my musings. Would really love for Ford to comment whether this is accurate, close or wrong. Perhaps the new Ford Pass app version 4.25.0 that was just released will fix issues.

mfbrown

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Prem, RWD, ER; 2023 MME Prem, RWD, ER
Country flag
I believe my Departure Times still works fine from Fordpass on my model '21. On my new '23 it works - kinda. I like to move them because my schedule is always moving. It doesn't move well. I find I can ADD a new one and it will accept it. If I change an old one, it might move it, but it will jump back to the previous one.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
I believe my Departure Times still works fine from Fordpass on my model '21. On my new '23 it works - kinda. I like to move them because my schedule is always moving. It doesn't move well. I find I can ADD a new one and it will accept it. If I change an old one, it might move it, but it will jump back to the previous one.
Which raises one function I failed to mention earlier. Ford could add a "Update/Synch Settings Now" button to the Ford Pass app and the synch vehicle features. This button would push updated settings based on the time and update source, i.e. either a Ford Pass app or vehicle Synch. This solves the problem of which source is authoritative and when the settings are effective.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it gets below 68F then it will. Has to be better easier on the car and it's nicer drive. Not required but nice to have. You have tried to set it up multiple times in the car with no joy? Does the schedule stay in the car or does it disappear? I say 2 in 3 it works here. Have you tried waking it up shortly after it misses?
Current morning temperatures are in the low to mid 50s F, 10 to 12 C.

The last preconditioning attempt was set up at 7:30 pm the night before in the car and apparently saved (it showed up in slot 1 for Wednesday). SOC was 59%. My preferred charge times are set for noon-4pm daily. The car started charging at about 4 am and reached 80% about 6:30 am). The departure time was set for 9:45 am. It did not precondition and the departure time was missing when I looked at 9:45 am.

Next attempt will be tomorrow morning. This time the car will be at 80% before I set the charge time in the car and I’ll leave my iPhone (PAAK phone) in the house when I do the setting. Then it’ll be another memo off to Ford Engineers as the car is still in advanced analytics.

Gives me something to do. ;)

Last edited:

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Departure times and preconditioning have been unstable for me. Not at the PaaK or CarPlay level, but it's still a lottery. I don't know if it is the car, the app, both or just nutrinos. It's something that Ford needs to fix and be more competitive in the marketplace.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tried that delete all back out then set new up again (even with power cycle reboots inbetween). Have not really found the consistent procedure to date. It is fickle.

Current morning temperatures are in the low to mid 50s F, 10 to 12 C.

The last preconditioning attempt was set up at 7:30 pm the night before in the car and apparently saved (it showed up in slot 1 for Wednesday). SOC was 59%. My preferred charge times are set for noon-4pm daily. The car started charging at about 4 am and reached 80% about 6:30 am). The departure time was set for 9:45 am. It did not precondition and the departure time was missing when I looked at 9:45 am.

Next attempt will be tomorrow morning. This time the car will be at 80% before I set the charge time in the car and I’ll leave my iPhone (PAAK phone) in the house when I do the setting. Then it’ll be another memo off to Ford Engineers as the car is still in advanced analytics.

Gives me something to do. ;)
Your charging schedule does not function correctly either? You set it to start at noon but it starts charging at 4am? But stops at your target. What if you set it to start at 8 pm (16 hours before noon)? Is it consistently off that much or random. Have your schedule problems been there since day one?

Having no functional charging schedule I thought for sure had to be software. Change the SOBDMC module and bang all works perfect? Not saying yours is hardware just saying it can be. I was green with no charging schedule with everyone's working when they set it up in the car but not mine (100% as soon as plugged in).

The disappearing departure schedule I have seen. Setting in the car is hit and miss. Charging schedule has worked since fixed. I do not mess with it much a bit gun shy but changed it from 85% to 80% this fall and it took. Has been working pretty flawlessly here. I am on standard eastern time what ford appears to think is Detroit time.

Scheduling of departures looks like I am not alone. Worked last winter not this so I will go with software again maybe? My dealer note he has replaced a few sobdmc modules to date not sure if they get corrupted.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your charging schedule does not function correctly either? You set it to start at noon but it starts charging at 4am? But stops at your target.
IIRC the departure schedule will try to have you at your preferred SOC setting at the departure time with the cabin and battery precoditioned. Thus it will ignore the time limits set for the location. I forgot about that. Since we are PVE effectively off the grid I would have preferred it to not charge, which would nearly empty the pve batteries and put us at the mercy of HELCO (Hawaii Electric Light Company). My solution should have been to not plug the car in.

It's still too early to check on the preconditioning status for today and the outside temps are around 13 C atm so it won't be a very long process anyway (if it works).

Outside of the precondition glitch mentioned, the preferred charging setting works fine unless a major update has happened or the GPS decides I'm in central Auchenshoogle.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
IIRC the departure schedule will try to have you at your preferred SOC setting at the departure time with the cabin and battery precoditioned. Thus it will ignore the time limits set for the location. I forgot about that. Since we are PVE effectively off the grid I would have preferred it to not charge, which would nearly empty the pve batteries and put us at the mercy of HELCO (Hawaii Electric Light Company). My solution should have been to not plug the car in.

It's still too early to check on the preconditioning status for today and the outside temps are around 13 C atm so it won't be a very long process anyway (if it works).

Outside of the precondition glitch mentioned, the preferred charging setting works fine unless a major update has happened or the GPS decides I'm in central Auchenshoogle.
Fordpass at the bottom where the charging/plugged in info is will say preparing for drive while heating the batteries then Conditioning cabin for the last 15 minutes same as remote start says if it is working.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Departure times and preconditioning have been unstable for me. Not at the PaaK or CarPlay level, but it's still a lottery. I don't know if it is the car, the app, both or just nutrinos. It's something that Ford needs to fix and be more competitive in the marketplace.
Those little buggers - nutrinos - are tough to detect and can cause a lot of havoc. Speed of light, minimal mass and can change from positive to negative to neutral without so much as a wink or nod. ;)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fordpass at the bottom where the charging/plugged in info is will say preparing for drive while heating the batteries then Conditioning cabin for the last 15 minutes same as remote start says if it is working.
It worked fine this morning, conditioned both the battery and cabin. Outside temps were fairly mild today as the snow on Maunakea is melting — probably 57 F at 8:45. It’s unlikely the battery preconditioning would take the full time as the garage is even warmer. Set the departure schedule up last night using just the fob to unlock and power up the car. The PAAK phone was well out of range in the house.

The 45 mile journey took 5% of charge today (It’s rolling hills trending down to sea level from 1330 m). That’s 1% to 2% lower than normal for this time of the year without preconditioning. The total roundtrip will take about 30% charge if I return by the mist battery friendly route.

Now I’m in Kona where the temperature will be pretty close to 90 F/32 C by noon when I head home.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It worked fine this morning, conditioned both the battery and cabin. Outside temps were fairly mild today as the snow on Maunakea is melting — probably 57 F at 8:45. It’s unlikely the battery preconditioning would take the full time as the garage is even warmer. Set the departure schedule up last night using just the fob to unlock and power up the car. The PAAK phone was well out of range in the house.

The 45 mile journey took 5% of charge today (It’s rolling hills trending down to sea level from 1330 m). That’s 1% to 2% lower than normal for this time of the year without preconditioning. The total roundtrip will take about 30% charge if I return by the mist battery friendly route.

Now I’m in Kona where the temperature will be pretty close to 90 F/32 C by noon when I head home.
I find I lose power when the batteries get below freezing. Acceleration is sluggish and car just doesn't feel right. The drive is a lot better after an hour of warming them up.

It worked for you today but if you change it to suit your flexy schedule the next one may not. That is exactly where I am now sitting in the car trying to make it take. We should not need to do all this gymnastics we should be able to fire a departure schedule off from the phone app sitting in the warmth and it works every time. Sitting in the car in freezing temperatures trying to get the hit and miss thing to work really does not suit the cars purchase price. Hoping it is fixed for next winter this one was without.

jwraider

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Ranger
Country flag
Yeah I’m also having a hard time with the departure times and also now home charging just not happening even when they are scheduled too. I’m hoping this latest update 4.2.3 changes that. I have a long 180 mile commute in cold weather and it’s not ideal to wake up and find the car not charged and not prepping. It doesn’t seem to matter if I go in and manually set the time % and departure time on the screen. It will just randomly not do it.
Sponsored