Does the Mach E being built in Mexico bother you?

PlusEdison

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Honda Accord, 2019 SL450
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It does me. I ordered a 2nd one yesterday, so 1 GT and 1 Premium on order, but today I found out it’s going to be built in Mexico. If my electric EV is going to be “foreign” anyway that changed things. I’m not ready to cancel yet, but that Rivian, whichwill be built in USA, is looking better to me than it did a week ago
Sponsored

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
It does me. I ordered a 2nd one yesterday, so 1 GT and 1 Premium on order, but today I found out it’s going to be built in Mexico. If my electric EV is going to be “foreign” anyway that changed things. I’m not ready to cancel yet, but that Rivian, whichwill be built in USA, is looking better to me than it did a week ago
It doesn’t bother me that it’s built in Mexico. I like the Rivian, but it’s a completely different class of vehicle I feel like. It’s a full size SUV with a starting price of $73k. Another thing to consider (at least for me) is the ease of getting it serviced. Ford has a huge dealership network. What is someone supposed to do if their Rivian needs service? I am kinda of talking out loud with these kinds of questions because I liked the Rivian as well. However I’ve heard people struggle with getting their Tesla’s serviced/repaired and Tesla has been selling cars for 7-8 years and has service centers in around the country at least 5-6 hours of most folks.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Think of it this way as well, they repurposed a factory to build this vehicle. Recent reports from other companies say that EVs will/can cut their workforce by something like 40%. Do you want a factory on US soil getting 40% of their workers cut? Or would you rather see a factory that doesn't have US workers get that workforce reduction.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I would much rather employ people in the US as workers in Mexico will never spend their money at my architecture business. When we employ some other countries middle-class because it's cheaper, it's to the detriment of our people who would be employed manufacturing in the US. BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, Kia, Volkswagon, Honda are building plants in the US, why can't Ford. I'm not cancelling my order, but yes it does bother me.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Here's a good video which explains why the Mach-e is being built in Mexico.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Wish the Mach E was built in the US but I had a 2002 Focus ZX3 built on Mexico and had zero problems with it. So not it doesn't bother me.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's not ideal that the Mach-E will be built in Mexico. It's a valid criticism from other OEMs building EVs, however, the Nissan Leaf is built in the US and that doesn't mean much to people as a selling point.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
It's not ideal that the Mach-E will be built in Mexico. It's a valid criticism from other OEMs building EVs, however, the Nissan Leaf is built in the US and that doesn't mean much to people as a selling point.
99% of the people out there don't have any ideal where there car is made. I regularly tell Trax owners there cars are made in Korea and their shocked to find it's not made in the US.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
99% of the people out there don't have any ideal where there car is made. I regularly tell Trax owners there cars are made in Korea and their shocked to find it's not made in the US.
Or Buick Envision owners either, tell them that their car is made in China.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Car manufacturing is global process and has been for decades. It doesn't matter to me where the car is finally assembled, I am more concerned with having a car that is assembled properly, preferably not in a car park under a tent.

Looking at the build quality of some early s550 mustangs and the on going problems with the explorer and aviator flag waving does not guarantee quality. As long as the plant transition from making the fiesta over to the mach-e goes well I can't see any problems with it being assembled south of the border.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
Anyone who says a car is 'made in America' is stretching the definition of 'made'. More like assembled.

We are a global economy, at least for now. There are countries that have greater natural resources and its easier to extract and make there vs ship the raw material elsewhere to then be refined and manufactured.

My Model X was 'made in america' but if you start looking at pieces they were made somewhere else, shipped to america, and then put together.

I didn't work in car manufacturing, but i worked in computer manufacturing. We had plants in the US, but parts were shipped from all over asia to the us, and then basically our US plant was a glorified PC Builder by putting everything together. Brazil had protections where if you didn't 'make' it in brazil a certain percentage it got taxed, so our bean counters had gotten to the point they could assemble the computer 42.7% of the way then ship it to the brazil, slap some things in it and it was 'made in brazil'

long winded answer of 'doesn't really matter'. I'm disappointed, but then our cars would be 75 or 100k vs 50 to 60k if we had to do everything in country? dunno. I worry that this isn't sustainable though but that's much more economic and pollitical football that probably not worth poking.

jeff_h

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Bolt EV
Occupation
DC Commuter
Country flag
I was at my Chevy dealer last weekend getting an inspection, and walking the lot looking at cars - I always look for the build location and source for the engine and transmission as noted on the sticker.

I know the Trax was made in Korea but it's now made in Mexico (also perhaps now also in Mexico). The window sticker that I read on a Trax last weekend said:
Assembly: Mexico
Transmission: Japan
Engine: Austria

I have no problem with my car being made in Mexico - my 2010 Fusion Hybrid made in Hermosillo Mx just passed 300k miles, and I also had a 2013 Fusion Hybrid that was a great car too.
Sponsored