Does the mach e qualify for the fed tax credit now?

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Not yet anyway. Ford is surely scrambling right now to work with LG and SKI (their battery suppliers) to nail down the source materials situation. 40-50% of the materials have to come from approved countries. Just depends on where they get raw materials from, and whether they can reallocate enough to make US-approved cells. And how many.

It's a mess right now.
Thanks, I thought I was the only one confused...
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, I thought I was the only one confused...
Even the chart you referenced was incomplete. There's the outright exclusion for materials from "entities of concern" (like your chart listed), which is basically China. That starts phasing in for 2024. But there's also the 40-50% source materials requirement from countries the US has a trade agreement, which starts in 2023. And that requirement is expected to knock quite a few batteries out (at least we assume). But nobody really knows which ones, or whether that's closer to 90% of the supply, or 10%. It's probably somewhere in between, which means battery suppliers are in the cat bird seat. The price for limited US-approved battery cells will likely go up as they're a rarer commodity now. Where they can, LG and SKI will probably shift materials flow around to segregate US-approved battery cells from US-disapproved (which they'll sell to automakers for sale in other countries that don't have this micro-managing restriction). With just a few months to figure it all out.

As someone else noted, there could just end up being a waiver issued for 2023 by the IRS since it's all such a mess. But that's far from guaranteed either.