Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hey folks, I noticed yesterday that our shark fin antenna on the back is "lifted" off the plastic insert it sits on behind the pano glass roof. I can see clear across the car under the front or back depending how it is sitting. It moves around if I push it gently. It will sit flush if I push down (gently again; not much force needed) but the moment I release, it pops back up.

I'm suspicious this is the recall reassembly work being done improperly. Can anyone else confirm/deny if their shark fin wants to be a bobblehead?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Given that the roof is not removed during the recall, this should have nothing to do with the recall. You should get into your dealership ASAP and getting this fixed.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
It shouldn't move like that. The dealership or body shop should be able to fix that quickly, other than waiting, I'd say, less than 5 minutes.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Mine does wiggle a bit. I plan to ask dealer when I go in for my 20k check up

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Mine is stable. On all three vehicles.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
All three vehicles....show off....
It’s temporary. But I figure it makes A good cross section for testing things like this.

OP
OP

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was pretty confident it shouldn't wobble. While I know they don't remove the roof and I knew they removed interior trim, I didn't know if they also pulled exterior trim. If they did the plastic panel it is on is likely fair game.

It won't be a 5-min job because elsewhere on the forum I'd spotted the screws to hold the fin in are under the headliner, so it means pulling the full interior trim again. Maybe they can do a better job putting it back on the driver's side then... Passenger looks good, driver kinda looks sketchy.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I was pretty confident it shouldn't wobble. While I know they don't remove the roof and I knew they removed interior trim, I didn't know if they also pulled exterior trim. If they did the plastic panel it is on is likely fair game.

It won't be a 5-min job because elsewhere on the forum I'd spotted the screws to hold the fin in are under the headliner, so it means pulling the full interior trim again. Maybe they can do a better job putting it back on the driver's side then... Passenger looks good, driver kinda looks sketchy.
Perhaps they attach them differently on the Mach-E compared to other Fords. Generally the bolt attaching it under the headliner would only need to be addressed if you were removing it completely.

But the wobble should generally be fixable just from the outside.

OP
OP

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Perhaps they attach them differently on the Mach-E compared to other Fords. Generally the bolt attaching it under the headliner would only need to be addressed if you were removing it completely.

But the wobble should generally be fixable just from the outside.
It isn't the bolt, it is the broken plastic clips. A new fin (at least they think they can get one) takes 3 days, then paint, then install, then the headliner goes back in. No loaners available and the dealer really doesn't want to reassemble the ceiling and pillars. Not that I really want them to put that all back together and tear it apart again either, I'm sure there's only so many times that can happen before it looks like trash.

Not being super impressed with ford here. By the time this is done, assuming it is on time, the car will have been in the shop almost 10% of the under 8 months we've owned it.
Sponsored