Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I was wondering how many have done FDRS updates for others that are in close proximity to you? I've thought about offering it up around me, but always have a nagging feeling of what if something goes wrong and now I have someone else's car stuck in my garage until it can get towed out/fixed.

I've done enough updates between FDRS and IDS and even loading improper calibrations on APIMs for "added features" on previous vehicles to know that it's safe and there's really a super low chance something could happen, but there's always a chance. I'd hate to end up with in an argument over who's fault is it. I also would like folks that can't afford all the hardware to be able to easily get updates. I attribute keeping the software updated to all my problem-free miles.

What are the thoughts of the group?
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I have traveled and updated quite a few cars. I make them remove the covers, connect the power supply and hand them my laptop and show them what to do. I'm hands off for that reason.

One time I got a little anxious and attempted to pop out a clip for @scoopman, and while I got the clip out, it went flying, fell into the abyss and I felt obligated to order a new one and mail it to him.

So my advice is to make them do everything and show them the way. Additionally, I've flashed all the updates on my car before providing the tools to flash it on someone else's. I wouldn't have someone flash an update that I wasn't fully aware of the consequences for.

Most people that I've flashed with are very nervous so 1/2 of the time you're just attempting to calm nerves and provide moral support.

My advice for your equipment - Make sure your power saving options are disabled in Windows. You don't want your computer going to sleep or powering off during the update because that might be on you. Make sure you are using a power supply to the LVB. Do what's recommended and you should be okay.

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I have traveled and updated quite a few cars. I make them remove the covers, connect the power supply and hand them my laptop and show them what to do. I'm hands off for that reason.

One time I got a little anxious and attempted to pop out a clip for @scoopman, and while I got the clip out, it went flying, fell into the abyss and I felt obligated to order a new one and mail it to him.

So my advice is to make them do everything and show them the way. Additionally, I've flashed all the updates on my car before providing the tools to flash it on someone else's. I wouldn't have someone flash an update that I wasn't fully aware of the consequences for.

Most people that I've flashed with are very nervous so 1/2 of the time you're just attempting to calm nerves and provide moral support.
I truly appreciated the unexpected envelope in the mail with a new clip, @DevSecOps!

Like The Mandalorian, I shall, this weekend help others by saying "This is the way." Fortunately, the flash-ees both have exposed battery terminals already, which reduces the time and physical risks :)

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This thought of providing Mach E updates to other forum members reminds me of a practice in the high-end audio-video space. When I bought my first HD television, there were consultants who had a side business traveling to provide precise calibration of color/brightness/contrast/focus similar to what is provided in high-end theaters. They advertised the possibility of traveling to a particular area on a particular weekend, and would sign up appointments to make the trip worthwhile. I signed up and paid a couple hundred dollars for precise calibration in my den. The difference in picture quality was well worth it. You can get a glimpse of this world at ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here! | Page 19 | AVS Forum .

I know there are several FDRS-equipped members here; I know that I would be sorely tempted to inquire if the pace of Ford updates (what updates?) continues. Of course, I need my GTPE first: scheduled build week of 3/28 (fingers crossed).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I wouldn't want to invite to my house to do to their cars.

As to liability, write up an agreement that they absolve you of liability and understand the car could get bricked.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I truly appreciated the unexpected envelope in the mail with a new clip, @DevSecOps!

Like The Mandalorian, I shall, this weekend help others by saying "This is the way." Fortunately, the flash-ees both have exposed battery terminals already, which reduces the time and physical risks :)
Thank you in advance and yes the LVB terminals have been waiting for this moment :).
Btw I also ordered a few extra clips because the dealer lost a few of them from the trim above the brake fluid during the predelivery inspection and they did not replace them. Lost clips happens to everyone.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Doing FDRS Updates for others 20220221_122751_compress21_compress60

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Clips? Pheh. 😎🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Doing FDRS Updates for others 5AAEA951-383E-4579-B364-83D40472C704

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I was wondering how many have done FDRS updates for others that are in close proximity to you? I've thought about offering it up around me, but always have a nagging feeling of what if something goes wrong and now I have someone else's car stuck in my garage until it can get towed out/fixed.

I've done enough updates between FDRS and IDS and even loading improper calibrations on APIMs for "added features" on previous vehicles to know that it's safe and there's really a super low chance something could happen, but there's always a chance. I'd hate to end up with in an argument over who's fault is it. I also would like folks that can't afford all the hardware to be able to easily get updates. I attribute keeping the software updated to all my problem-free miles.

What are the thoughts of the group?
If there was someone around me who would be kind enough to do so, I’d take them up on the offer in a second (with a case of their choice of beverage* in the frunk for their troubles ?)
* Beverage offer limited by affordability. Rare wine vintages, cases of obscure single malt scotch, etc excluded ? Also, Michelob Ultra, Bud Light, etc. have some self-respect please ?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If there was someone around me who would be kind enough to do so, I’d take them up on the offer in a second (with a case of their choice of beverage* in the frunk for their troubles ?)
* Beverage offer limited by affordability. Rare wine vintages, cases of obscure single malt scotch, etc excluded ? Also, Michelob Ultra, Bud Light, etc. have some self-respect please ?
Heh, I brought ? last time. Pretty much bribing with them again. ??

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag

My advice for your equipment - Make sure your power saving options are disabled in Windows. You don't want your computer going to sleep or powering off during the update because that might be on you. Make sure you are using a power supply to the LVB. Do what's recommended and you should be okay.
Great advice, thanks! Never really thought about the car owner "driving" so to speak. I need to get a better LVB power supply before I offer up for anyone else.

What about Yuengling? I hear that's exotic in some parts... lol I'm a few hours drive from you, and I got family in that area. Might have to work something out when I get a better power supply.
Sponsored