Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The day has come (about 1 month ago) that I’m no longer a MachE owner. I have sold my GTPE!

I would first like to say that I have enjoyed meeting so many wonderful people on this forum and it was great to be able to share whatever little nuggets I could. In my 25ish years driving and going through 13 new cars, I’ve never before participated in a forum. The anticipation to get behind the wheel of the MachE was up there. I had been eyeballing the MME for over a year (before it was released), but patiently waited for the day that I could pre-order the GTPE. My pre-order kept getting delayed so I searched high and low from West Coast to East Coast until I found one at MSRP in Hialeah, Florida. I called the dealership, gave them a credit card and had it shipped to California in less than a week.

I joined the forums because the car confused me. There were so many things that I just couldn’t figure out. There were questions about why Ford did some of the things they did. I had rattles and weird noises that I couldn’t isolate. The forum became a place where I encountered others who had like issues and that brought some level of comfort that I wasn’t alone in the things I was finding.

All those little things and the amazing thread by @mpshizzle on how to update with FDRS spurred something in me that turned the car into a project. The forum was just gas on the fire and it quickly became my second home. I had a blast with the MachE and it was such a fun vehicle both driving it and tearing it apart!

So, what happened?

There was a time when my optimism and love for the car turn into something a bit more jaded. That first started with the HVBJB failures. I knew that Ford had to do something and I really thought that they would do what was right from the beginning and replace them. The software “not-a-fix” almost felt like a personal attack. Like many before me, I knew that I would have failure one day and I wasn’t mad that it happened, but I felt let down because I was over 100 miles from home with no options (my story is here). Ford wouldn’t get me a rental and the dealership said, sorry nothing we can do either. If it wasn’t for family driving over 3 hours to get me, I would have had to walk to a hotel. That response, for a car that was almost brand new still, was very upsetting.

The software bugs started getting to me and the terrible UI design choices made me want to roll back updates, which isn’t possible. The issues that I had didn’t stop there. In my 2 years of ownership, the car was in service for more than 100 days. I know that the majority of people don’t/won’t have as many issues as I had, but it eventually got me to a point where I just couldn’t trust the car or Ford to make me whole on my purchase. Admittedly, the majority of the time the car was in for repairs was due to the dealership and not Ford directly. That doesn’t excuse the fact however because the dealerships are an extension of Ford. There are some amazing people who work at Ford and I am grateful for all they attempted to do, continue to do and help that they provide to the community.

The forums started to become a place where I wrestled with defending owners vs defending Ford and their dealership network. I’ve always felt that I should defend the people who are on the forum and not the car, but so many Ford fanboys made that difficult and over time it’s gotten a lot worse. Every slightly negative post is now met with excuses, comments that it doesn’t apply to them and therefore shouldn’t matter to anyone or any number of other deflecting strategies. Additionally, it seems like 10% of threads are now over exagerated attacks on other vehicles and people that have nothing to do with the MachE. I'm not a fan of echo chambers and based on my own personal experiences most of the attacks are completely unwarranted and based on false or very misleading information. I encourage people to ask for truth and try things on your own before making such wild and innacurate judgements.

Silently, behind the scenes, I worked with a lot of people to help get the new HVBJB replacement recall in place, but I burnt a lot, if not all, of my bridges in the process. I achieved what I set out to do based on what I thought was right for all MME owners, and with that, I can move on.

What issues still existed?

The biggest remaining issues for me when I sold the car were the following:
  • Drive mode not available
  • Gust profile bugs
  • Phone calls messing up/static
  • Unable to disable motion sensors at power down
  • Release notes still suck
  • Trunk opening on its own
  • Charging bugs where it randomly stops
  • PaaK that still sucks 2 years later
  • Performance of the GTPE (Ford says they might give people a paid option to allow more torque)
And, in the end, I had more issues creeping up on me. In the morning the car sounded like an old man moaning at the turn of the steering wheel. The shoulder bolsters that I had replaced for crackling are at it again. Lastly, updates are still getting borked by Ford. It only appears that, as they gave us more features, they gave us more bugs.

What did you move on to?

Most everyone here knows that I moved on to a Rivian R1T but if you don’t here’s a thread comparing the two. Rivian makes an amazing vehicle and I’m happy that I found something which I consider to be far superior to the MME in almost every regard that matters to me. So many members here have moved on from the MME to a Rivian. Thank you to all of them who helped me make the decision to switch as well. I also now have a Tesla M3P and there’s a post here about that as well. Thanks to @heisnuts for inspiring me to go with the M3P, helping me understand the vehicle and providing me with your referral code.

What did you do with the MachE?

In a nutshell, I ended up selling the car and, whoa, was it a shocker! Here’s the offers that I ended up getting for a GTPE, 2 years old with 45k miles on it:
  • Ford Dealership #1 – 27k
  • Ford Dealership #2 – 29k
  • CarMax – 23k
  • Carvana – 31k
  • Driveway – 32k
  • Car Gurus - 19k
Many other dealerships and online car buying sites said; “Sorry we won’t buy the MachE”. Both dealerships that made offers told me that they can’t sell their current inventory. They both had over 45 MachE’s on the lot. I never considered the MachE to be an investment, but damn I didn’t think it would tank in value the way it has. A lot of members here try to make this out as an EV problem, but it’s not. It’s definitely a Ford problem.

Charging etiquette:

This is my latest crusade! Please learn charging etiquette for the sake of all EV owners. We have to be in this together and the level of ignorance or selfishness at charging stations needs to get resolved. Here’s a brief list for those who don’t know them:
  • Use a charger commensurate with the capability of your vehicle if possible. Do not use one that will supply more power than your vehicle will accept if possible.
  • Avoid parking next to someone who is charging, especially on shared units. EA shared units will have verbiage on them saying they are shared. It’s always in order of right to left 1 is shared with 2, 3 is shared with 4, etc. Other chargers label them, normally in a letter number combination. For example, 1A is shared with 1B and possibly 1C, whereas 2A is shared with 2B and possibly 2C.
  • Avoid charging above 80% SOC if you don’t need it
  • Don’t park in charging spots if you aren’t charging
  • Unplug when you are done charging and move your car. Someone else might need it. Yes, this applies to hotels as well.
  • Don’t use chargers as princes parking. If you don’t need the charge and you connect to a charger just because you want princess parking, you’re rude. Someone might need that charge who is commuting/traveling.
  • Don’t use local DCFC just because it’s free unless you need to. DCFC is designed for commuters and using it just for the sake of sucking up free electrons only blocks someone who needs it to get on with their family travels.
  • Please report broken charging units to the charging company. Don't contribute to the problem, help resolve it!
In Closing:

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the forums and helped me over the years. Some of the best times were when we had a new “how-to” every week. Those were the days! The excitement of testing new updates to find out what we got was also a blast!

I’m also thankful for the opportunity to help many members, especially in the rough patch of the HVBJB fiasco. I've met many friends from all corners of NA based on those tumultuous times.

All that being said, I truly hope that Ford continues to improve the MachE for all owners. If that means they need to fail to be great, so be it. If they make it, I hope they eventually learn from their mistakes and commit more resources to modern technologies and advancements rather than being stuck in their old ways.

Like many others that have moved on, I’m sure I’ll stop in from time to time. For me, the benefit of being on the forum was to learn from others and help those in need. Without the car and based on the influx of those who just can’t stand anything I post, neither of those are possible like they were before, so therefore I won’t be around as much (I’m sure Rick will be elated).

If anyone ever needs help flashing their MachE in the Sacramento area, send me a DM, I’d be more than happy to help. If anyone in the area gets stranded drop a DM and if I’m around I’ll go get you. If anyone ever goes to a gaming convention (I attend most of the big ones) and wants to grab some coffee, let me know. If anyone here attends OpenWorld or any other big tech conference, let me know. I often speak on stage at some of the large tech conferences. If anyone has a question, @ me or DM me (I have notifications on), I’m always willing to help or share my opinions, as polarizing as they might be.

Don’t get run over and enjoy your MachE!

-Todd
Sponsored

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry to see you go. Much sage advice. I did not agree with everything but respected your opinions. Also much appreciated the work you did regarding the HVBJB. Personally I have had zero issues to date but I realize part of that may be my simplistic approach - get in and drive and do not use any of the tech stuff too much. Heck I still just listen to the FM radio as we have a good rock station. Thanks also for the charging pointers as I will begin driving the 350 miles to Anchorage next summer now that there is a decent amount of DCFC along the way.

B177y

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CR1, 2021 Highlander V6, 2001 F-350 V10
Country flag
Excellent post.

I am going through some similar emotions with the Mach-E right now. I love the car (CR1), but it's been at the dealership waiting for parts to repair it since Thanksgiving weekend. It stopped charging, also while I was away from home on a family trip. My 3 month old car is now a $60,000 paperweight.

I am also experiencing similar issues with Ford and the dealers... no loaners, had to pull teeth to finally get a rental, and jumping through a bunch of hoops for what seems to be an inevitable buyback. I keep getting different stories about what is actually wrong with the car too, it's super frustrating.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
And here I thought I was going to read about someone whose Mach-E ran over them. 😂

Well said, I didn't realize you had so many issues with your car. I know about the more recent but damn. You stuck in there for a long time. You have always been very helpful on this site. This is a great group of people, but I do know what you are talking about. It seems like at times some just can't see past their ignorance. Good luck with the Rivian, my coworker has one of each and loves them so they must be doing something right. I am a once every 8-10 years type of car owner so I have a few years before I have to look seriously.

GT-Papa

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT
Country flag
Happy trails Todd. For the short time I've been in the Forum, I've enjoyed your lucid commentary. I just purchased my used MME and it almost immediately shit the bed. It's been at the dealership now longer than it's been in my garage. Hopefully the HVBJB recall and a new BECM and some cables will lead to a long and happy relationship. All the best with the Rivian and the M3P.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
And here I thought I was going to read about someone whose Mach-E ran over them. 😂
Don't get run over! Well, some people need practical advice ;)

It's a snarky way of saying goodbye.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Your contributions will be missed, I hope you still pop in from time to time.

A Rivian showroom opened up near me a few days ago, I got to spend some time in an R1T and R1S over the weekend, I can definitely see the appeal, the interior was really nice and both vehicles felt very solid. Still don’t understand the Tesla thing though, but that’s ok, see you on the road 😉

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Thank you so much, Todd, for all your contributions. You were one of the first ones to help me when I had my first HVBJB failure.

I got sucked into the forums back in 2005 when I ordered my first Corvette. The really good forums like this one and the Corvette forum can be godsends when it comes to learning the ins and outs of particular vehicles and getting help from the manufacturer when things go wrong. Without this forum, I would have been a lot more frustrated with the failures and I would not have had people like Todd and others who were able to get Ford involved in my case before we really knew what a HVBJB failure really was.

It is also really nice to be part of an active forum with people who are enthusiastic about the product. It’s these people who take the time to educate others about the product and that just spreads the enthusiasm to others.

It’s also really nice when the form has employees from Ford who take their own time to be part of the forum. If it were not for some of these people taking their own time to get involved in my cases, I think I would have been a lot more frustrated and confused as the failures kept happening to my MME. A huge thanks goes out to them as well.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Todd, there is a fairly small group of folks on this Forum who stand head and shoulders above the rest. And in spite of what any detractors might say, I (and I know many others) put you firmly in that group. I'm glad for you that the Rivian is working out, and the M3P too. (I've driven both and they're great cars, especially the Rivian.) I'm sorry to see you go, but clearly the GTPE just wasn't working out for you and I get it when one reaches the tipping point and flips from love/excitement to something much more difficult to deal with.

I, like you, had never participated in a car forum before. And I, like you, have been surprised by the community here; community is truly the best word for what we have here, with all its gives and takes; with all its wonderful people and those that are as annoying AF and yet sometimes rise to the occasion (being concerned and giving advice when someone has Covid, for example). You have been a key part of that community and you'll be missed.

Safe travels, have fun, and don't get run over.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
and those that are as annoying AF and yet sometimes rise to the occasion (being concerned and giving advice when someone has Covid, for example).
I'm the first to admit I've been annoying AF. Some of us have this personality trait where we like to stir the pot. I'm kinda good at that and frankly enjoy it too much. I've tried offsetting it by helping people in other threads, but I've amassed a group of people who get riled up at the sight of anything I say anymore, even if it's helping someone. It's become a distraction to the threads and that's not fair to the OPs.

I've been writing the post up top for about a month, picking away at it, revising it and reminiscing through old threads where we talked about COVID, Paxlovid, Buckwheat pillows, goats causing HVBJB failures and it was a different feeling back then. More of a comradery of owners, lighthearted and fun. People come and go, attitudes and personalities change. It was a lot of fun for the last couple years.

Thanks for the kind words and if you're ever headed to Tahoe or in the area let me know!

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I'm the first to admit I've been annoying AF. Some of us have this personality trait where we like to stir the pot. I'm kinda good at that and frankly enjoy it too much. I've tried offsetting it by helping people in other threads, but I've amassed a group of people who get riled up at the sight of anything I say anymore, even if it's helping someone. It's become a distraction to the threads and that's not fair to the OPs.

I've been writing the post up top for about a month, picking away at it, revising it and reminiscing through old threads where we talked about COVID, Paxlovid, Buckwheat pillows, goats causing HVBJB failures and it was a different feeling back then. More of a comradery of owners. People come and go, and it was a lot of fun for the last couple years.

Thanks for the kind words and if you're ever headed to Tahoe or in the area let me know!
While you're right that you can be annoying AF, I wasn't referring to you in what I wrote. 😉

But yeah, goats and grapevines, killers of HVBJBs. Covid therapies, long drives to help folks out. It's an amazing forum.

Be well. And if/when you are in SF, don't be a stranger. My street is something to be experienced!

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Enjoyed a lot of your posts even if I didn't agree with all of them. Forums are more fun when there is a bit of spice in them too, never had a problem with your tone.

I can't blame you for moving on at all, I've been lucky and I know it based on this forum with my experience (knocking on wood) to just minor annoyances and I still love this car. If I fall out of love from any number of the serious potential problems I might be right there with you.

Hope the Rivian treats you well, the ones I've seen in person look awesome!

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sad to see you go. some others who have been on this forum from almost the beginning like you have left and we have lost a great deal of wisdom and knowledge.

I guess the changing of the guard always happens but sad at the same time.

didn’t always agree 100% with your non car commentary but you were always thoughtful in your approach.

after seeing all your car issues, makes me nervous to keep my car, LOL.

for the most part my issues have been small and getting new HVBJB Jan 4. I haven’t had a failure yet and my luck will probably have the new one fail since I still don’t believe they have fully resolved this problem as that part continues to fail on newer cars.

I too will be moving to a new EV and still deciding wether to keep the MME or sell it.

best of luck to you.
Sponsored