Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Thanks for your contributions here Todd. You showed me how to update my car using FDRS and you've been a great help to the forum at large. Like you, I can be annoying AF at times and people just need to either live with it or skip our posts. Unlike you, I've been involved in a couple of other car forums for a little while (ClassicalPontiac since the '90s, the Gen1 K/5 forum in the '00s). There's a mix of fanbois, enthusiasts, trolls, and plain, old curmudgeons on all of these forums. Some forums seem to have more of one type than another (also seems to depend on the way the wind is blowing). Enjoy your R1T, your Model3P, and your buckwheat pillow. Oh, stay away from goats too! 🤪🐩
If you ever feel the need to get some more heartburn inducing donuts let me know. I'd be happy to make the trip over to the Bay for that. I think Andy and I are gonna get together after the holidays as well.

I believe my R1T is immune to goat, and grapevine, failures so I should be good to go. 🐐
Sponsored

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
There's a mix of fanbois, enthusiasts, trolls, and plain, old curmudgeons on all of these forums. Some forums seem to have more of one type than another (also seems to depend on the way the wind is blowing). 🤪🐩
I think you missed one category: Info Seekers!!! Although, I'm putting myself squarely in the Curmudgeons category!!! 😂 Might be fun to generate a list of regulars and categorize them!!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I think you missed one category: Info Seekers!!! Although, I'm putting myself squarely in the Curmudgeons category!!! 😂 Might be fun to generate a list of regulars and categorize them!!
🐩 <= Me. 🤪🐩

Ev Blau

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The day has come (about 1 month ago) that I’m no longer a MachE owner. I have sold my GTPE!

I would first like to say that I have enjoyed meeting so many wonderful people on this forum and it was great to be able to share whatever little nuggets I could. In my 25ish years driving and going through 13 new cars, I’ve never before participated in a forum. The anticipation to get behind the wheel of the MachE was up there. I had been eyeballing the MME for over a year (before it was released), but patiently waited for the day that I could pre-order the GTPE. My pre-order kept getting delayed so I searched high and low from West Coast to East Coast until I found one at MSRP in Hialeah, Florida. I called the dealership, gave them a credit card and had it shipped to California in less than a week.

I joined the forums because the car confused me. There were so many things that I just couldn’t figure out. There were questions about why Ford did some of the things they did. I had rattles and weird noises that I couldn’t isolate. The forum became a place where I encountered others who had like issues and that brought some level of comfort that I wasn’t alone in the things I was finding.

All those little things and the amazing thread by @mpshizzle on how to update with FDRS spurred something in me that turned the car into a project. The forum was just gas on the fire and it quickly became my second home. I had a blast with the MachE and it was such a fun vehicle both driving it and tearing it apart!

So, what happened?

There was a time when my optimism and love for the car turn into something a bit more jaded. That first started with the HVBJB failures. I knew that Ford had to do something and I really thought that they would do what was right from the beginning and replace them. The software “not-a-fix” almost felt like a personal attack. Like many before me, I knew that I would have failure one day and I wasn’t mad that it happened, but I felt let down because I was over 100 miles from home with no options (my story is here). Ford wouldn’t get me a rental and the dealership said, sorry nothing we can do either. If it wasn’t for family driving over 3 hours to get me, I would have had to walk to a hotel. That response, for a car that was almost brand new still, was very upsetting.

The software bugs started getting to me and the terrible UI design choices made me want to roll back updates, which isn’t possible. The issues that I had didn’t stop there. In my 2 years of ownership, the car was in service for more than 100 days. I know that the majority of people don’t/won’t have as many issues as I had, but it eventually got me to a point where I just couldn’t trust the car or Ford to make me whole on my purchase. Admittedly, the majority of the time the car was in for repairs was due to the dealership and not Ford directly. That doesn’t excuse the fact however because the dealerships are an extension of Ford. There are some amazing people who work at Ford and I am grateful for all they attempted to do, continue to do and help that they provide to the community.

The forums started to become a place where I wrestled with defending owners vs defending Ford and their dealership network. I’ve always felt that I should defend the people who are on the forum and not the car, but so many Ford fanboys made that difficult and over time it’s gotten a lot worse. Every slightly negative post is now met with excuses, comments that it doesn’t apply to them and therefore shouldn’t matter to anyone or any number of other deflecting strategies. Additionally, it seems like 10% of threads are now over exagerated attacks on other vehicles and people that have nothing to do with the MachE. I'm not a fan of echo chambers and based on my own personal experiences most of the attacks are completely unwarranted and based on false or very misleading information. I encourage people to ask for truth and try things on your own before making such wild and innacurate judgements.

Silently, behind the scenes, I worked with a lot of people to help get the new HVBJB replacement recall in place, but I burnt a lot, if not all, of my bridges in the process. I achieved what I set out to do based on what I thought was right for all MME owners, and with that, I can move on.

What issues still existed?

The biggest remaining issues for me when I sold the car were the following:
  • Drive mode not available
  • Gust profile bugs
  • Phone calls messing up/static
  • Unable to disable motion sensors at power down
  • Release notes still suck
  • Trunk opening on its own
  • Charging bugs where it randomly stops
  • PaaK that still sucks 2 years later
  • Performance of the GTPE (Ford says they might give people a paid option to allow more torque)
And, in the end, I had more issues creeping up on me. In the morning the car sounded like an old man moaning at the turn of the steering wheel. The shoulder bolsters that I had replaced for crackling are at it again. Lastly, updates are still getting borked by Ford. It only appears that, as they gave us more features, they gave us more bugs.

What did you move on to?

Most everyone here knows that I moved on to a Rivian R1T but if you don’t here’s a thread comparing the two. Rivian makes an amazing vehicle and I’m happy that I found something which I consider to be far superior to the MME in almost every regard that matters to me. So many members here have moved on from the MME to a Rivian. Thank you to all of them who helped me make the decision to switch as well. I also now have a Tesla M3P and there’s a post here about that as well. Thanks to @heisnuts for inspiring me to go with the M3P, helping me understand the vehicle and providing me with your referral code.

What did you do with the MachE?

In a nutshell, I ended up selling the car and, whoa, was it a shocker! Here’s the offers that I ended up getting for a GTPE, 2 years old with 45k miles on it:
  • Ford Dealership #1 – 27k
  • Ford Dealership #2 – 29k
  • CarMax – 23k
  • Carvana – 31k
  • Driveway – 32k
  • Car Gurus - 19k
Many other dealerships and online car buying sites said; “Sorry we won’t buy the MachE”. Both dealerships that made offers told me that they can’t sell their current inventory. They both had over 45 MachE’s on the lot. I never considered the MachE to be an investment, but damn I didn’t think it would tank in value the way it has. A lot of members here try to make this out as an EV problem, but it’s not. It’s definitely a Ford problem.

Charging etiquette:

This is my latest crusade! Please learn charging etiquette for the sake of all EV owners. We have to be in this together and the level of ignorance or selfishness at charging stations needs to get resolved. Here’s a brief list for those who don’t know them:
  • Use a charger commensurate with the capability of your vehicle if possible. Do not use one that will supply more power than your vehicle will accept if possible.
  • Avoid parking next to someone who is charging, especially on shared units. EA shared units will have verbiage on them saying they are shared. It’s always in order of right to left 1 is shared with 2, 3 is shared with 4, etc. Other chargers label them, normally in a letter number combination. For example, 1A is shared with 1B and possibly 1C, whereas 2A is shared with 2B and possibly 2C.
  • Avoid charging above 80% SOC if you don’t need it
  • Don’t park in charging spots if you aren’t charging
  • Unplug when you are done charging and move your car. Someone else might need it. Yes, this applies to hotels as well.
  • Don’t use chargers as princes parking. If you don’t need the charge and you connect to a charger just because you want princess parking, you’re rude. Someone might need that charge who is commuting/traveling.
  • Don’t use local DCFC just because it’s free unless you need to. DCFC is designed for commuters and using it just for the sake of sucking up free electrons only blocks someone who needs it to get on with their family travels.
  • Please report broken charging units to the charging company. Don't contribute to the problem, help resolve it!
In Closing:

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the forums and helped me over the years. Some of the best times were when we had a new “how-to” every week. Those were the days! The excitement of testing new updates to find out what we got was also a blast!

I’m also thankful for the opportunity to help many members, especially in the rough patch of the HVBJB fiasco. I've met many friends from all corners of NA based on those tumultuous times.

All that being said, I truly hope that Ford continues to improve the MachE for all owners. If that means they need to fail to be great, so be it. If they make it, I hope they eventually learn from their mistakes and commit more resources to modern technologies and advancements rather than being stuck in their old ways.

Like many others that have moved on, I’m sure I’ll stop in from time to time. For me, the benefit of being on the forum was to learn from others and help those in need. Without the car and based on the influx of those who just can’t stand anything I post, neither of those are possible like they were before, so therefore I won’t be around as much (I’m sure Rick will be elated).

If anyone ever needs help flashing their MachE in the Sacramento area, send me a DM, I’d be more than happy to help. If anyone in the area gets stranded drop a DM and if I’m around I’ll go get you. If anyone ever goes to a gaming convention (I attend most of the big ones) and wants to grab some coffee, let me know. If anyone here attends OpenWorld or any other big tech conference, let me know. I often speak on stage at some of the large tech conferences. If anyone has a question, @ me or DM me (I have notifications on), I’m always willing to help or share my opinions, as polarizing as they might be.

Don’t get run over and enjoy your MachE!

-Todd
Gosh, you will be missed on this forum. There are a few posters I really count on and now there’s one less. Good luck with the Rivian - you do know there’s room for one body in the “cross tunnel”! Per a Rivian owner at a recent EV car expo I attended.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Good luck with the Rivian - you do know there’s room for one body in the “cross tunnel”! Per a Rivian owner at a recent EV car expo I attended.
Well, yes I would say that if you can fit into a standard MRI machine then you'll likely fit the in gear tunnel and for those who can't fit, it does have 11k lbs towing capacity 😂

Have a Merry Christmas 🎄

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The day has come (about 1 month ago) that I’m no longer a MachE owner. I have sold my GTPE!

I would first like to say that I have enjoyed meeting so many wonderful people on this forum and it was great to be able to share whatever little nuggets I could. In my 25ish years driving and going through 13 new cars, I’ve never before participated in a forum. The anticipation to get behind the wheel of the MachE was up there. I had been eyeballing the MME for over a year (before it was released), but patiently waited for the day that I could pre-order the GTPE. My pre-order kept getting delayed so I searched high and low from West Coast to East Coast until I found one at MSRP in Hialeah, Florida. I called the dealership, gave them a credit card and had it shipped to California in less than a week.

I joined the forums because the car confused me. There were so many things that I just couldn’t figure out. There were questions about why Ford did some of the things they did. I had rattles and weird noises that I couldn’t isolate. The forum became a place where I encountered others who had like issues and that brought some level of comfort that I wasn’t alone in the things I was finding.

All those little things and the amazing thread by @mpshizzle on how to update with FDRS spurred something in me that turned the car into a project. The forum was just gas on the fire and it quickly became my second home. I had a blast with the MachE and it was such a fun vehicle both driving it and tearing it apart!

So, what happened?

There was a time when my optimism and love for the car turn into something a bit more jaded. That first started with the HVBJB failures. I knew that Ford had to do something and I really thought that they would do what was right from the beginning and replace them. The software “not-a-fix” almost felt like a personal attack. Like many before me, I knew that I would have failure one day and I wasn’t mad that it happened, but I felt let down because I was over 100 miles from home with no options (my story is here). Ford wouldn’t get me a rental and the dealership said, sorry nothing we can do either. If it wasn’t for family driving over 3 hours to get me, I would have had to walk to a hotel. That response, for a car that was almost brand new still, was very upsetting.

The software bugs started getting to me and the terrible UI design choices made me want to roll back updates, which isn’t possible. The issues that I had didn’t stop there. In my 2 years of ownership, the car was in service for more than 100 days. I know that the majority of people don’t/won’t have as many issues as I had, but it eventually got me to a point where I just couldn’t trust the car or Ford to make me whole on my purchase. Admittedly, the majority of the time the car was in for repairs was due to the dealership and not Ford directly. That doesn’t excuse the fact however because the dealerships are an extension of Ford. There are some amazing people who work at Ford and I am grateful for all they attempted to do, continue to do and help that they provide to the community.

The forums started to become a place where I wrestled with defending owners vs defending Ford and their dealership network. I’ve always felt that I should defend the people who are on the forum and not the car, but so many Ford fanboys made that difficult and over time it’s gotten a lot worse. Every slightly negative post is now met with excuses, comments that it doesn’t apply to them and therefore shouldn’t matter to anyone or any number of other deflecting strategies. Additionally, it seems like 10% of threads are now over exagerated attacks on other vehicles and people that have nothing to do with the MachE. I'm not a fan of echo chambers and based on my own personal experiences most of the attacks are completely unwarranted and based on false or very misleading information. I encourage people to ask for truth and try things on your own before making such wild and innacurate judgements.

Silently, behind the scenes, I worked with a lot of people to help get the new HVBJB replacement recall in place, but I burnt a lot, if not all, of my bridges in the process. I achieved what I set out to do based on what I thought was right for all MME owners, and with that, I can move on.

What issues still existed?

The biggest remaining issues for me when I sold the car were the following:
  • Drive mode not available
  • Gust profile bugs
  • Phone calls messing up/static
  • Unable to disable motion sensors at power down
  • Release notes still suck
  • Trunk opening on its own
  • Charging bugs where it randomly stops
  • PaaK that still sucks 2 years later
  • Performance of the GTPE (Ford says they might give people a paid option to allow more torque)
And, in the end, I had more issues creeping up on me. In the morning the car sounded like an old man moaning at the turn of the steering wheel. The shoulder bolsters that I had replaced for crackling are at it again. Lastly, updates are still getting borked by Ford. It only appears that, as they gave us more features, they gave us more bugs.

What did you move on to?

Most everyone here knows that I moved on to a Rivian R1T but if you don’t here’s a thread comparing the two. Rivian makes an amazing vehicle and I’m happy that I found something which I consider to be far superior to the MME in almost every regard that matters to me. So many members here have moved on from the MME to a Rivian. Thank you to all of them who helped me make the decision to switch as well. I also now have a Tesla M3P and there’s a post here about that as well. Thanks to @heisnuts for inspiring me to go with the M3P, helping me understand the vehicle and providing me with your referral code.

What did you do with the MachE?

In a nutshell, I ended up selling the car and, whoa, was it a shocker! Here’s the offers that I ended up getting for a GTPE, 2 years old with 45k miles on it:
  • Ford Dealership #1 – 27k
  • Ford Dealership #2 – 29k
  • CarMax – 23k
  • Carvana – 31k
  • Driveway – 32k
  • Car Gurus - 19k
Many other dealerships and online car buying sites said; “Sorry we won’t buy the MachE”. Both dealerships that made offers told me that they can’t sell their current inventory. They both had over 45 MachE’s on the lot. I never considered the MachE to be an investment, but damn I didn’t think it would tank in value the way it has. A lot of members here try to make this out as an EV problem, but it’s not. It’s definitely a Ford problem.

Charging etiquette:

This is my latest crusade! Please learn charging etiquette for the sake of all EV owners. We have to be in this together and the level of ignorance or selfishness at charging stations needs to get resolved. Here’s a brief list for those who don’t know them:
  • Use a charger commensurate with the capability of your vehicle if possible. Do not use one that will supply more power than your vehicle will accept if possible.
  • Avoid parking next to someone who is charging, especially on shared units. EA shared units will have verbiage on them saying they are shared. It’s always in order of right to left 1 is shared with 2, 3 is shared with 4, etc. Other chargers label them, normally in a letter number combination. For example, 1A is shared with 1B and possibly 1C, whereas 2A is shared with 2B and possibly 2C.
  • Avoid charging above 80% SOC if you don’t need it
  • Don’t park in charging spots if you aren’t charging
  • Unplug when you are done charging and move your car. Someone else might need it. Yes, this applies to hotels as well.
  • Don’t use chargers as princes parking. If you don’t need the charge and you connect to a charger just because you want princess parking, you’re rude. Someone might need that charge who is commuting/traveling.
  • Don’t use local DCFC just because it’s free unless you need to. DCFC is designed for commuters and using it just for the sake of sucking up free electrons only blocks someone who needs it to get on with their family travels.
  • Please report broken charging units to the charging company. Don't contribute to the problem, help resolve it!
In Closing:

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the forums and helped me over the years. Some of the best times were when we had a new “how-to” every week. Those were the days! The excitement of testing new updates to find out what we got was also a blast!

I’m also thankful for the opportunity to help many members, especially in the rough patch of the HVBJB fiasco. I've met many friends from all corners of NA based on those tumultuous times.

All that being said, I truly hope that Ford continues to improve the MachE for all owners. If that means they need to fail to be great, so be it. If they make it, I hope they eventually learn from their mistakes and commit more resources to modern technologies and advancements rather than being stuck in their old ways.

Like many others that have moved on, I’m sure I’ll stop in from time to time. For me, the benefit of being on the forum was to learn from others and help those in need. Without the car and based on the influx of those who just can’t stand anything I post, neither of those are possible like they were before, so therefore I won’t be around as much (I’m sure Rick will be elated).

If anyone ever needs help flashing their MachE in the Sacramento area, send me a DM, I’d be more than happy to help. If anyone in the area gets stranded drop a DM and if I’m around I’ll go get you. If anyone ever goes to a gaming convention (I attend most of the big ones) and wants to grab some coffee, let me know. If anyone here attends OpenWorld or any other big tech conference, let me know. I often speak on stage at some of the large tech conferences. If anyone has a question, @ me or DM me (I have notifications on), I’m always willing to help or share my opinions, as polarizing as they might be.

Don’t get run over and enjoy your MachE!

-Todd
Good luck on your future automotive endeavors. It’s genuinely too bad that the MME did not work out for you.
Sponsored