Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I want to give this ago, most people seem to recommend the Thinkware U100? Does anyone know how much power you can pull with the Dongar? If I get the Thinkware and add the radar option, I believe the radar just plugs into the camera and the camera powers the radar, too. Would this be too much power?
Sponsored

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
The mailing label for mine was printed today according to USPS
Replying to my own post!

Got the dongle today. Went out after dinner, popped off the cover, but had trouble finding the tab to squeeze to pop the existing connectors apart. Finally got it, then plugged in the splitter. Routed the wires, plugged in my dash cam and tested it. Came on with the accessory power, off when I turned power off. Tucked the wires in, snapped on the cover and took out the old, long USB power cord I had taped into the crevices from the windshield to the 12V power port in the console.

Probably 15 - 20 minutes, a lot spent making sure I didn’t break anything. Just watch the video, should be no problem.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Replying to my own post!

Got the dongle today. Went out after dinner, popped off the cover, but had trouble finding the tab to squeeze to pop the existing connectors apart. Finally got it, then plugged in the splitter. Routed the wires, plugged in my dash cam and tested it. Came on with the accessory power, off when I turned power off. Tucked the wires in, snapped on the cover and took out the old, long USB power cord I had taped into the crevices from the windshield to the 12V power port in the console.

Probably 15 - 20 minutes, a lot spent making sure I didn’t break anything. Just watch the video, should be no problem.
Glad to see others getting it done quickly. Mine came in yesterday and I probably wont have time to get it installed until the weekend.
Tony

Rudedog

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range (DMG)
Country flag
Did my install this morning. Straightforward and works well. Took about 30 min with the majority of that spent securing the wires. I'm using a Mobius dash cam.

DennisR

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Absolute Black
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looking to buy one, Amazon has them, my query is I'm in the UK and I have a 2022 Mach E GT, just a long shot, anyone know if it will fit ?

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Looking to buy one, Amazon has them, my query is I'm in the UK and I have a 2022 Mach E GT, just a long shot, anyone know if it will fit ?
It fits the 2022 GT, Mine just came in along with the Garmin Mini 2. Will give it a go in the next few days!

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Ha that was the peel off liner of the stickies.
Wait, yours didn't just stick to your fingers forever because of static electricity? No matter how much you shook your hands? 😄

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
I got the adapter a few days ago but still don't have a camera. Which model are people recommending? I want something small and unobtrusive...was originally thinking Garmin 67w but it got less than stellar reviews for video quality.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I got the adapter a few days ago but still don't have a camera. Which model are people recommending? I want something small and unobtrusive...was originally thinking Garmin 67w but it got less than stellar reviews for video quality.
If you want an integrated camera that looks OEM, I’ve been working with Fitcamx on a prototype. Should be available this month.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
I have been using a Garmin Mini for the last few years and the only downside is that it needs a polarizing filter or else it washed out when driving into bright sunshine

Tony