Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
After an incredibly difficult time finding a reasonably priced 2022 MME, I found one from a special order that the buyer had to release (IBM, Lt Gray, ER-AWD Premium) from a different state. I flew in and then drove four hours back to my home. The car was charged to 275 miles when I took it with 25 miles on the odometer. Even starting with tall hills/small mtns, FordPass indicated 4.3 mi/kWh over 237 miles and according to the GoM, still had 73 miles left "in the tank" by the time I made it home. The average temp was around 72 and I maintained a speed of between 65-70 for most of the highway time.

Frankly, I was amazed at how well it performed through the mountains and on the highway and was glad to bypass the fast chargers.

Love the car. With the exception of the cheaper volume and transmission wheel, this is easily on par or better than the BMW X3 I just test drove.
wow, 4.3 avg is amazing

I don't think I've ever averaged over 3.3 over a decent distance when it was 'around town', or an out-and-back highway trip...

I got 3.8 on a longish one-way trip (60 mile stretch) with significant net elevation loss from 7000ft to 5000ft, but then less on the way back, and it averaged out to 3.3
Sponsored

DB_From_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME, Chevy Volt
Occupation
Business Mgr
Country flag
wow, 4.3 avg is amazing

I don't think I've ever averaged over 3.3 over a decent distance when it was 'around town', or an out-and-back highway trip...

I got 3.8 on a longish one-way trip (60 mile stretch) with significant net elevation loss from 7000ft to 5000ft, but then less on the way back, and it averaged out to 3.3
And to be clear, I've never seen values like that since that day :) My thought is that the descent out of the mountains allowed gravity to do its thing and tweaked my numbers so nicely. These days, I'm averaging around 3.0.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
And to be clear, I've never seen values like that since that day :) My thought is that the descent out of the mountains allowed gravity to do its thing and tweaked my numbers so nicely. These days, I'm averaging around 3.0.
makes more sense. ;)

apwelsh

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-e Standard
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
This seems odd, but in my case, I could not get more than about 2.5 m/kWh round trip between Riverside (1 hr from Los Angeles) and Las Vegas. The trip averaged between 75 and 80 mph.

conversely, on the freeways and side streets at home, I had to go on a hunt for a DC fast charger. I switched the car from Silent to Unbridled and was getting consistently between 4 and 4.5 m/kWh.

In have since been driving exclusively in unbridled mode and my wife still drives in silent mode. I don’t drive the car much, but when I do I always get over 3 m/kWh and 4+ on freeways doing 60-65. At home the roads are relatively flat.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
This seems odd, but in my case, I could not get more than about 2.5 m/kWh round trip between Riverside (1 hr from Los Angeles) and Las Vegas. The trip averaged between 75 and 80 mph.

conversely, on the freeways and side streets at home, I had to go on a hunt for a DC fast charger. I switched the car from Silent to Unbridled and was getting consistently between 4 and 4.5 m/kWh.

In have since been driving exclusively in unbridled mode and my wife still drives in silent mode. I don’t drive the car much, but when I do I always get over 3 m/kWh and 4+ on freeways doing 60-65. At home the roads are relatively flat.
I'm impress that you have the mental fortitude to only go 80mph on 15 to Vegas. Cars regularly travel at over 95mph on that stretch.

apwelsh

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
I'm impress that you have the mental fortitude to only go 80mph on 15 to Vegas. Cars regularly travel at over 95mph on that stretch.
In the fusion, I go 90/95

in the Mach-e, I used blue cruise, and it kept changing speed between the speed limit and 55 (trucks speed limit), so I was tired of changing speeds so often. I also know speed = heat and heat is lost energy, so I didn’t want to go too fast on my first trip until I could see how the battery behaves.

what is crazy is that 7 miles past baker I had to turn around because the battery was draining way too fast, and I wasn’t going to make it to vegas. After charging to 85% in baker, I was back down that I barely made it to vegas with about 30 milles to empty (but it reported less than 10). It was a very stressful trip. Two adults, and two bags for a weekend trip traveling that route left me needing an100% charge to start, charging in Barstow to like 82% I think, then charging to 85% in baker, then charging again immediately in vegas. The trip home was a bit easier, but I still had to charge in baker and Barstow, but the last stretch from Barstow to home I got better efficiency. Overall, I made it home with 50miles estimated range. I will try again at exactly speed limit, and with unbridled to see if it is any better like at home.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
In the fusion, I go 90/95

in the Mach-e, I used blue cruise, and it kept changing speed between the speed limit and 55 (trucks speed limit), so I was tired of changing speeds so often. I also know speed = heat and heat is lost energy, so I didn’t want to go too fast on my first trip until I could see how the battery behaves.

what is crazy is that 7 miles past baker I had to turn around because the battery was draining way too fast, and I wasn’t going to make it to vegas. After charging to 85% in baker, I was back down that I barely made it to vegas with about 30 milles to empty (but it reported less than 10). It was a very stressful trip. Two adults, and two bags for a weekend trip traveling that route left me needing an100% charge to start, charging in Barstow to like 82% I think, then charging to 85% in baker, then charging again immediately in vegas. The trip home was a bit easier, but I still had to charge in baker and Barstow, but the last stretch from Barstow to home I got better efficiency. Overall, I made it home with 50miles estimated range. I will try again at exactly speed limit, and with unbridled to see if it is any better like at home.
Surprise that there are no charging stations in Prim. Figure that would be a great place for one.

apwelsh

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
Surprise that there are no charging stations in Prim. Figure that would be a great place for one.
Turns out there are. But during my drive, ford nav said there where only Tesla chargers. There are 6 or so 150kwh fast chargers at the back side of the outlet mall in primm.
I am currently driving back and forth for Super Bowl related activities, and last trip I stopped to check.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Turns out there are. But during my drive, ford nav said there where only Tesla chargers. There are 6 or so 150kwh fast chargers at the back side of the outlet mall in primm.
I am currently driving back and forth for Super Bowl related activities, and last trip I stopped to check.

do they show up in Plugshre.com ?

apwelsh

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
Don’t know, never heard of the service. I’ve only had my EV for about a month.
I did also search Apple Maps, and they also only show Tesla Superchargers.
Plugshare has them listed as coming soon. I can’t confirm if they were working or not. I was driving my hybrid that isn’t a plugin when I found the chargers. I did drive up and see all the screens appeared to be on and working though.

apwelsh

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
A little more on that. The chargers are Electrify America chargers, and according to plugshare, they exist, but are not online. According to electrify America, they don’t have chargers there, so they were built and must never have been turned on. I see discussion about this going back to October.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Don’t know, never heard of the service. I’ve only had my EV for about a month.
I did also search Apple Maps, and they also only show Tesla Superchargers.
Plugshare has them listed as coming soon. I can’t confirm if they were working or not. I was driving my hybrid that isn’t a plugin when I found the chargers. I did drive up and see all the screens appeared to be on and working though.

oops, typo... try plugshare.com , or get the App on your phone. I have a whole 'screen' on my phone with ev charger apps, and plugshare to help find them.

the cool thing about plugshare is that people using the chargers can post 'checkins' to confirm whether they are up, or down, or problematic.
Sponsored