Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I think EVERYONE is way over analyzing this. Treat the battery percentage exactly the way you used to treat your gas gauge in your old car that had a gas engine. You’re going to have a rough idea how far you can go on a tank of gas. Are you going to be accurate to the mile? Of course not! But when you get down to a third or a quarter of a tank, you’d better be thinking about stopping at a gas station soon to fill up. When you get down to 30% or 25% battery, you’d better begin thinking about locating a charger soon. I’ve never understood these clowns in these videos who are proud that they pulled into a charger with 0% charge, or 2 miles on the GOM. I think think they’re absolute idiots. Would they pull that kind of stunt if they had their family in the car?
Sponsored

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit (2017), Mustang Mach-E, FE (2021)
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think EVERYONE is way over analyzing this. Treat the battery percentage exactly the way you used to treat your gas gauge in your old car that had a gas engine. You’re going to have a rough idea how far you can go on a tank of gas. Are you going to be accurate to the mile? Of course not! But when you get down to a third or a quarter of a tank, you’d better be thinking about stopping at a gas station soon to fill up. When you get down to 30% or 25% battery, you’d better begin thinking about locating a charger soon. I’ve never understood these clowns in these videos who are proud that they pulled into a charger with 0% charge, or 2 miles on the GOM. I think think they’re absolute idiots. Would they pull that kind of stunt if they had their family in the car?
Pretty much how I do it except having the measured percentage displayed makes it even easier than the old days. My car gets around 30 miles of range for every 10% around town. 3 miles per percent. 50% = 150 miles. Easy peasy.

Road tripping is less. 25 miles per 10% or 2.5 miles per percent. 200 miles of range between chargers (80%).

AlbanyIan

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 Mach-E GT, Former: Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thank you! I've tried to find out what "NRG" means, but failed. Would you care to enlighten me?
Ha, sorry. “NRG” is shorthand for “energy.”

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
As noted above, I use the % meter as a fuel gauge in units of 100. I have to laugh at the all the bs talk from drivers that had a fuel gauge that has E and F with 3 hash marks between. The vast majority had no clue of their true range based on driving style. Those that hyper-miled have a really good idea of their vehicle, their style, their range. During one week last summer I “averaged” 3.9 miles/KWh during my daily commute. In 7000 miles I’ve averaged 3.7 miles/KWh… on 68 KW that 3.9 gives me 265.2 miles.
Even in the fall I’m averaging 3.7 but I expect that to fall due to speed, rain, temps, wind.

Moral- know your style of driving. Log your places you go and mentally adjust to speed, temps, wind, rain, etc. know your %, distance, miles/KWh. After a while you’ll know within a few miles (say 20-40) of your error and error on the positive side. AI could do this. Oh, your human, with a fab brain. It’s so easy. I drove ICE vehicles to E and below.. never ran out of fuel because I could convert analog data into analog miles (fuel floats & spinning magnets). It’s a great mental challenge.

Last edited:

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
its the Same with Gas engines to many real world variables just drive and have fun . take a charger with you and a 100 foot cord just in case :) . My Mach E GT gets twice the mileage of my flex eco boost in city driving . saving so much and I have a lead foot :)

Don Matheson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache4 extended range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There have been lots of new threads popping up from first time BEV drivers who are all worried or worked up because their Guess-O-Meter is showing much less range than they think it should.

Very simple answer: don't rely on the GOM! It doesn't know where you plan to go or the conditions it needs to calculate the actual range it can go. It will always be highly conservative. Be glad Ford gives you a conservative GOM -- it'll help keep you out of trouble.

How far can your Mach E really go? There are two good ways to find out. Neither is the GOM.

1. Trust the navigation system
Get in the car, turn on navigation, and pick a spot 200 miles away. See if it will navigate you there without charging. How much range will it have when you get there? If it can't get there without charging try shorter distances like 175 miles and 150 miles.

Now try with someplace 225 miles away, then 250, then 275, then 300. Once you have found a place near the end of your range the navigation system will tell you the range the car predicts to be able to go when it knows the distance, likely speed, altitude changes, and weather conditions of your drive. The distance of that drive plus the remaining range (you can trust it best when remaining range is low) will tell you your range.

I've found the navigation system to be very accurate and estimating my real range.

2. How far do you really go?
You can do the same thing with your normal driving. Charge up and drive it for a while. Drive until you are low on charge upon arriving home or a charging destination. How far do you go before charging and how much range does the car think is left?

Both of these will tell you your car's real range under real-world conditions.

Don't trust the GOM for anything other than a low-ball estimate. Then be glad Ford chose to do it this way. I've hopped in my Leaf trusting the GOM would get me somewhere, only to learn the GOM was based on slow around town driving and my battery won't get me where I need to go on my planned 70 mph interstate drive. I'd rather start out with a conservative GOM than a wildly optimistic one!

Don Matheson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache4 extended range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There have been lots of new threads popping up from first time BEV drivers who are all worried or worked up because their Guess-O-Meter is showing much less range than they think it should.

Very simple answer: don't rely on the GOM! It doesn't know where you plan to go or the conditions it needs to calculate the actual range it can go. It will always be highly conservative. Be glad Ford gives you a conservative GOM -- it'll help keep you out of trouble.

How far can your Mach E really go? There are two good ways to find out. Neither is the GOM.

Get in the car, turn on navigation, and pick a spot 200 miles away. See if it will navigate you there without charging. How much range will it have when you get there? If it can't get there without charging try shorter distances like 175 miles and 150 miles.

Now try with someplace 225 miles away, then 250, then 275, then 300. Once you have found a place near the end of your range the navigation system will tell you the range the car predicts to be able to go when it knows the distance, likely speed, altitude changes, and weather conditions of your drive. The distance of that drive plus the remaining range (you can trust it best when remaining range is low) will tell you your range.

I've found the navigation system to be very accurate and estimating my real range.

You can do the same thing with your normal driving. Charge up and drive it for a while. Drive until you are low on charge upon arriving home or a charging destination. How far do you go before charging and how much range does the car think is left?

Don't trust the GOM for anything other than a low-ball estimate. Then be glad Ford chose to do it this way. I've hopped in my Leaf trusting the GOM would get me somewhere, only to learn the GOM was based on slow around town driving and my battery won't get me where I need to go on my planned 70 mph interstate drive. I'd rather start out with a conservative GOM than a wildly optimistic one!

Don Matheson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache4 extended range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
its the Same with Gas engines to many real world variables just drive and have fun . take a charger with you and a 100 foot cord just in case :) . My Mach E GT gets twice the mileage of my flex eco boost in city driving . saving so much and I have a lead foot :)

took delivery 12/7/21 of AWD ER and driving from dealer noticed 99% charge and 221 range. As a former Chevy Volt owner should have anticipated influence of cold weather, perhaps that salesman had set both thermostats to 72 degrees, but called dealer and asked why not 270 as advertised. This thread has given me good answers, in contrast to salesman's answer, which was, "Common complaint when new. It will improve over time." This suggested to me a break-in period for battery, rather than much better answers on this forum. Am I correct that there is no break-in period during which actual range improves?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
took delivery 12/7/21 of AWD ER and driving from dealer noticed 99% charge and 221 range. As a former Chevy Volt owner should have anticipated influence of cold weather, perhaps that salesman had set both thermostats to 72 degrees, but called dealer and asked why not 270 as advertised. This thread has given me good answers, in contrast to salesman's answer, which was, "Common complaint when new. It will improve over time." This suggested to me a break-in period for battery, rather than much better answers on this forum. Am I correct that there is no break-in period during which actual range improves?
The algorithm that computes the estimated range shown in the GOM does seem to learn from your driving habits and adjust somewhat, but it is still not necessarily very accurate over time. Some report that it is for them over time, but whether that's random chance or the heuristics "learning" is unknown.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, it does learn. The car comes with a low-ball estimate no matter what season it is delivered. Be sure to reset the EV driving history to get a fresh start. Then the car will start gravitating to the real range estimate based on your driving and the conditions.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have found the GOM has reduced more than my range with temp. After a 800 km (500 m) trip the range was reasonably good. The temp was around 0 to -3 oC (32 - 26 oF) and my speed varied but cruise 105 - 110 km/h (65 - 70 mph) when not too slippery which was the majority of the time. It takes more juice to run up hill into the n/w wind than it does running down and I hit a divided highway on the second leg there were 75 mph may of kicked in (65 - 70 out warming tires). The last leg home being my critical leg for elevation, prevailing winds and it is hilly. It ran 110 mi with one short stretch of 50 mph due to conditions (snow) so 29 Kwh/100 Km 0C or 303 Km (189 miles). That is respectable in the temp, terrain and conditions I was in. Summary.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go 1639061038515

Still seeing my guesstimates are not too far off and with the 90% charge update it will increases max consumption to 38 Kwh/100Km (1.6 mi/Kwh) for the 175 Km and it appears travel is on year round ?. Looks like even 100% DCFC possible on our 50Kw chargers and - 30 C should be ok; noting only crazy Alaskan's travel after -30 C ;) @Mopey. Drill access ports in the frunk cover for 12V access will help my peace of mind and will definitely have no problems running again once the charging update is installed. Still not sure about plowing snow and need more experience but you can always slow down.

It is such a silent enjoyable form of travel and charging stops force it to be better. All stops charged continuous with no problems on 50 Kw chargers. Cost for 800 Km about $30 CDN DCFC this time (once free) and is expensive compared to the cost of charging at home. Wish they charged by the Kw (gallons) and not the minute but still beats $120 in gas. My rate charging works out to about $50/hr which is good pay for a retired guy.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go 50-Kw

Strabismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
So.....the GOM is always wrong, but every other calculation is correct. I always run 3.1 to 3.3 and range is still 197 with AWD ER, tested and only get about 180-200 when it is 40-50. Every time some post on range all the arm chair analysts say it is the cold and to stop posting. What if there was another issue with balance charging or battery percentage calculation is wrong too? We get the same people always giving the same answer. They like to complain about the repost and continue to respond negatively. Stop responding if you don't like the post. Every time I reset I lose range, no matter the temp.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So.....the GOM is always wrong, but every other calculation is correct. I always run 3.1 to 3.3 and range is still 197 with AWD ER, tested and only get about 180-200 when it is 40-50. Every time some post on range all the arm chair analysts say it is the cold and to stop posting. What if there was another issue with balance charging or battery percentage calculation is wrong too? We get the same people always giving the same answer. They like to complain about the repost and continue to respond negatively. Stop responding if you don't like the post. Every time I reset I lose range, no matter the temp.
Looks like your average speed is around 60 mph that is if you do not gun it to much. I am a member of the 250 mi (400 km) club as I drive a bit faster. Obviously lithium tech has not changed just for the mach-e and EPA numbers do not lie. 3.2 is good at 40-50 depending on speed and wind which are both factors; do you feel your range is good or are you looking for the magical EPA number? 3.2 x 88 x 0.7 = 197 miles are your DCFC farther apart? If not it should be LG.

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
I have an AWD Extended as well. During late summer and fall I could expect about a 250-270 mile range even with pretty aggressive driving at times. I reset the GOM a month ago as colder temperatures approached. I now can expect less 185-195. It’s not particularly cold here - 42-60 degrees lately. I’m driving way more conservatively than during the summer. I have to admit I’m very disappointed and frustrated as this basically means for half the year I can’t do any trips of any length without a LOT of charging infrastructure. I was looking forward to road trips with this really fun car. Not so much I guess. A lot of my justification and motivation for buying this car has just disappeared. Really sucks.
Sponsored