fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
This does not tell you how much range you have left. It just tells the maximum range you can get driving at that mi/kwh. It never decreases.

What's the formula that tells me how much mi I have left before a charge.

The gps navigation way I get.

Most of us veterans know this already, but: Another common method worth mentioning, to calculate your range, is to drive for a while, and then take a peek at the mi/kWh on the "This Trip" screen.
Multiply the "mi/kWh" by the usable capacity of your battery, which is, for the extended range, 88 kWh, or for the standard range, 68 kWh. This will be your total range from 0-100% under that driving condition.

Example:
3.1 mi/kWh listed.
Extended range battery = 88 kWh.
3.1 x 88 = 272.8 miles total range.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This does not tell you how much range you have left. It just tells the maximum range you can get driving at that mi/kwh. It never decreases.

Formula is mi/kWh x kWh remaining to empty.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Do I subtract the total miles that I have driven.

mi/kWh x kWh - total miles driven = actual miles left before empty?

Apologies I am a EV newbie just trying to learn.

Along my trip it will give me a max range If I just put in mi/kWh x kWh, right?

Formula is mi/kWh x kWh remaining to empty.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Do I subtract the total miles that I have driven.

mi/kWh x kWh - total miles driven = actual miles left before empty?

Apologies I am a EV newbie just trying to learn.

Along my trip it will give me a max range If I just put in mi/kWh x kWh, right?
The range estimate on my car is very accurate but that may be because I drive often and have consistent driving conditions.

If your driving conditions vary dramatically then all you can do is make your best guess. If the range to empty estimation on your driver's display is unreliable then you should take some time to learn how many miles you can drive per 10% of charge for each driving condition. For me, that figure is 30 miles in town and 25 miles on road trip.

If I get down to less than 10% charge then I move the decimal point to 3 miles per 1 percent of charge for in town and 2.5 miles per percent for 75 mph driving.

So, if I am on a road trip and have 10% charge left and my destination is 27 miles away then I am not going to make it if I continue driving 75 mph. If I slow down to 65 mph then I will probably make it with a couple miles to spare.

My car is AWD with extended battery. Your car may be different.

Does that help any?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

For that, it's always going to be safer to trust the GoM, because it is overly pessimistic.

If you want to calculate it from a battery percentage, just do the same calculation as normal using your mi/kWh -- but then multiply it by your remaining battery %.

Example:
3.1 mi/kWh * 88 kWh battery = 272.8 mi range at 100% battery.

56% battery remaining?
272.8 mi * 0.56 (%) = 152.77 miles of range remaining.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Here is my range estimation on Thursday morning. Then later in the day after I had driven 143 miles. My car does an excellent job with that calculation but other cars are not so accurate. We don't know why it varies car to car. Might be related to software variances...

20220505_064513.jpg

20220505_182603.jpg

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
I just like the continuous mi/kWh * (pack size * SOC).

so if I have 40% SOC and Iā€™m getting 2.9 mi/kWh * (91 kWh * .4) = 105.56 miles range.

My GOM isnā€™t very accurate yet at all. We only have 400 miles in the car but thatā€™s ok.

Last edited:

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the minority here, but my order is a select AWD standard rangeā€¦.reading these posts gives me even more range anxiety? Anyone out there have this car and range stats? Who knew getting an EV would make us all do mathā€¦

Zassi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
In the minority here, but my order is a select AWD standard rangeā€¦.reading these posts gives me even more range anxiety? Anyone out there have this car and range stats? Who knew getting an EV would make us all do mathā€¦
In the real world you get maybe 80-90% of the advertised EPA range in summer, and when (real) winter comes itā€™s 50-65% depending where you live. If you can live with that fact then you might even be pleasently surprised from time to time, if not then youā€™re in trouble :)

Last edited:

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
It is so much easier to figure out miles / % and calculate the range based on that. I had 1.5 in winter, and recently it changed to 2 in mostly city driving. It is both true for actual distance and GOM prediction - I need to say that it is very accurate for me.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Initial range anxiety is something the majority of new BEV owners face. Most get over it, but some just can't and go back to ICE - usually those are owners without the ability to charge at home or work using 220V (L2).

Will you charge primarily with 110V (L1)? If yes, then you likely will always be watching your range. It's possible, and several members here make it work, but you have to have a pretty fixed routine. Battery size doesn't help much in this case since charging is so slow, range is mainly determined by how much time you have to charge between trips.

Will you charge mostly using L2? If yes, you have the option to leave most every morning with a 90% charge (or even 100 if you want, but Ford recommends 90% or lower for daily charging). How many miles do you drive a day? If you drive <75 miles a day, you should have zero concerns. If you drive around 100 miles a day, you'll be ok most of the time, but you might have to be careful if the temps are in the teens or lower. If you drive 125 miles a day, temps below freezing are going to be stressful unless you can charge at home and at work. Cold temps and high speeds are the two biggest negative impacts on range, with temperature being the biggest factor.

If you are taking a trip with the car, then you need to plan ahead of time. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ is a great tool for planning trips, and it lets you enter your car's information and will estimate where you need to stop and for how long to complete your route. (You'll probably be better off with another vehicle for long trips, especially in the winter. It is more manageable in the summer, but you'll still be stopping frequently to charge.)

KidGalahad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select
Country flag
I have a select awd, and Iā€™m going to be honest with you, the range definitely affects your daily workflows. If I recall, the range stated on Fordā€˜s website is 224 miles, but Iā€™ve never seen my range indicator over 200. Iā€™m going to guess itā€™s more like 180-190. Keep in mind, I have aftermarket 19ā€ wheels, which may be affecting that number. This is very indicative of what I see on a daily basis:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go 934A5657-8591-4CFB-994D-EB71166651A6

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Initial range anxiety is something the majority of new BEV owners face. Most get over it, but some just can't and go back to ICE - usually those are owners without the ability to charge at home or work using 220V (L2).

Will you charge primarily with 110V (L1)? If yes, then you likely will always be watching your range. It's possible, and several members here make it work, but you have to have a pretty fixed routine. Battery size doesn't help much in this case since charging is so slow, range is mainly determined by how much time you have to charge between trips.

Will you charge mostly using L2? If yes, you have the option to leave most every morning with a 90% charge (or even 100 if you want, but Ford recommends 90% or lower for daily charging). How many miles do you drive a day? If you drive <75 miles a day, you should have zero concerns. If you drive around 100 miles a day, you'll be ok most of the time, but you might have to be careful if the temps are in the teens or lower. If you drive 125 miles a day, temps below freezing are going to be stressful unless you can charge at home and at work. Cold temps and high speeds are the two biggest negative impacts on range, with temperature being the biggest factor.

If you are taking a trip with the car, then you need to plan ahead of time. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ is a great tool for planning trips, and it lets you enter your car's information and will estimate where you need to stop and for how long to complete your route. (You'll probably be better off with another vehicle for long trips, especially in the winter. It is more manageable in the summer, but you'll still be stopping frequently to charge.)
Wow that is the best response! I will have home charging level 2 which I will share with my husbands Tesla. 99% of the time I will be just fine, and for trips I expect the charging. It will make a 6hour ICE drive become a 7.5 hour EV driveā€¦ Still wish I had an ER of the Mac E, but that depends if I bug out on my order to order a 2023, adding $10k to this purchase unfortunately. Thanks for your very thoughtful post!!

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a select awd, and Iā€™m going to be honest with you, the range definitely affects your daily workflows. If I recall, the range stated on Fordā€˜s website is 224 miles, but Iā€™ve never seen my range indicator over 200. Iā€™m going to guess itā€™s more like 180-190. Keep in mind, I have aftermarket 19ā€ wheels, which may be affecting that number. This is very indicative of what I see on a daily basis:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go 934A5657-8591-4CFB-994D-EB71166651A6
Ok I will have exact same car just ice blue color! My commute is short and I work 2-3 days a weekā€¦I do live with driving up hills. Ultimately would you buy it again in this build? Thank you for the info!! Very helpfulā€¦

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the real world you get maybe 80-90% of the advertised EPA range in summer, and when (real) winter comes itā€™s 50-65% depending where you live. If you can live with that fact then you might even be pleasently surprised from time to time, if not then youā€™re in trouble :)
Thanks no ā€œrealā€ winter hereā€¦ pretty hot summers; I think Iā€™ll be ok just maybe the mach e stays home on longer trips? Or takes me longer to get thereā€¦. Lol itā€™s about the journeyā€¦ unless I wait till next spring for a 2023
Sponsored