KidGalahad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select
Country flag
@ElectrifyME I love that color!

You asked, so I'll be completely honest. If I had to do it over again: No, I would not get the Select. I would get the Premium. For the price difference, I think the extra range, matching black lower trim, and other amenities, would be more than worth it. When I purchased mine, it was the only one available locally in a color I liked. Looking back, I should have been more patient. Am I being picky? Maybe. Do I have buyers regret? Not about the Mach-E in general, but about the trim level, I do. I'm planning on trading up at some point in the near future. But for now, it's a great car.

Also, based on the information you gave, as long as you have a home charger, I think you'll be fine. I would advise, at the very least, to get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in your garage, or wherever you plan on charging. That's the 4 pronged "RV Plug" that I'm sure you've seen. You can use the portable charger that comes with the car, plug in at night, and be basically fully charged by morning. That's my routine, and it works very well. When it gets sticky for me is if I want to go places after work. For example, I have about a 40 mile drive to work. If I have plans after work, I most likely have to plan a charging stop in there somewhere, otherwise I could end up around 15-20% at the end of the night. I hate that, because the one situation I want to avoid is being super low on charge, and have something unexpected come up.

I think the biggest leap for me has been changing my mindset. This isn't a gas powered car, and I can't go 5-6 days in between fill-ups. An electric car needs to be charged on a regular basis. especially if it has a range under 200 miles. So, your work flows have to be changed, which starts with the mindset change.
Sponsored

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ElectrifyME I love that color!

You asked, so I'll be completely honest. If I had to do it over again: No, I would not get the Select. I would get the Premium. For the price difference, I think the extra range, matching black lower trim, and other amenities, would be more than worth it. When I purchased mine, it was the only one available locally in a color I liked. Looking back, I should have been more patient. Am I being picky? Maybe. Do I have buyers regret? Not about the Mach-E in general, but about the trim level, I do. I'm planning on trading up at some point in the near future. But for now, it's a great car.

Also, based on the information you gave, as long as you have a home charger, I think you'll be fine. I would advise, at the very least, to get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in your garage, or wherever you plan on charging. That's the 4 pronged "RV Plug" that I'm sure you've seen. You can use the portable charger that comes with the car, plug in at night, and be basically fully charged by morning. That's my routine, and it works very well. When it gets sticky for me is if I want to go places after work. For example, I have about a 40 mile drive to work. If I have plans after work, I most likely have to plan a charging stop in there somewhere, otherwise I could end up around 15-20% at the end of the night. I hate that, because the one situation I want to avoid is being super low on charge, and have something unexpected come up.

I think the biggest leap for me has been changing my mindset. This isn't a gas powered car, and I can't go 5-6 days in between fill-ups. An electric car needs to be charged on a regular basis. especially if it has a range under 200 miles. So, your work flows have to be changed, which starts with the mindset change.
We are on the same wave length totally!!! Thank you for your thoughts!!!! Definitely a different way of drivingā€¦. Right now my car goes 340ish on a tank of gas so to go down to 80% of ā€œ224ā€ is a little uncomfortable. I think Iā€™m gonna feel exactly like you do. And I am picky admittedly. And tend to overthinkā€¦ but I also keep my cars a long time. Gotta decide here what to do. Thank you!!

jj99

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2022 / 2016 Explorer Platinum
Country flag
I have about 800 miles on my Xrange Premium. I plug in every night, charge to 90%, and precondition before I leave. I see the battery percentage drop to 88% before I even pull out of the driveway. Wondering if this is due to the cooling of the battery packs (I live in FL, the garage is easily 90 overnight on a hot day). Anyone else seeing this consistently?

Zassi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
I have about 800 miles on my Xrange Premium. I plug in every night, charge to 90%, and precondition before I leave. I see the battery percentage drop to 88% before I even pull out of the driveway. Wondering if this is due to the cooling of the battery packs (I live in FL, the garage is easily 90 overnight on a hot day). Anyone else seeing this consistently?
If you have set up preferred charging times and your preconditioning doesnā€™t happen in those times it will eat the battery instead of using the plug(because the car thinks itā€™s not allowed to do that).

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
I have a similar, but opposite, problem with mine. I charge to 85%, and pretty consistently will see 86 or sometimes 87% by the time I'm leaving my neighborhood. It's a little tricky to measure the exact charge level in a battery, if I remember correctly, so it probably isn't a big deal. It might be placebo effect, but if I take a longer trip, I get the bump on the next several charges. I think it is the fact that driving 150 -200 miles uses a much wider chunk of the battery than I normally do. I think Tesla does, or used to, recommend "retraining" the battery management computer occasionally by doing something similar.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
And you all never called a fuel level (šŸ˜‚) a GOM and you think itā€™s accurate? In August my consistent commute average was 2.3-2.4 miles per percent (%) which squares well with an average 3.9 mi/KWh. And estimated range of 230-240 miles. Minus 4-6% to accessories, temps, etc. I average 95%+ to driving in summer.

For those of you with really short memories. How ā€œfullā€ is your tank? 1/2 full? How many gallons? FIIN.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go B527DE79-0274-4C35-9998-3FAEE6C62386

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
And you all never called a fuel level (šŸ˜‚) a GOM and you think itā€™s accurate? In August my consistent commute average was 2.3-2.4 miles per percent (%) which squares well with an average 3.9 mi/KWh. And estimated range of 230-240 miles. Minus 4-6% to accessories, temps, etc. I average 95%+ to driving in summer.

For those of you with really short memories. How fuel is your tank? 1/2 fuel. How many gallons? FIIN.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go B527DE79-0274-4C35-9998-3FAEE6C62386
Yep. The fact that SOC is displayed digitally as a percentage gives the illusion that it is an "exact" value. It's an approximation based on measurement of voltage and current - which is susceptible to temperature change and the fact that it cannot be measured precisely enough to give anything better than a "good approximation".

That's why when the battery is warm from charging it can give a slightly different value than after it has cooled off.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Just resurrecting this thread in time for cooler weather in northern areas.

DB_From_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME, Chevy Volt
Occupation
Business Mgr
Country flag
Just resurrecting this thread in time for cooler weather in northern areas.
After an incredibly difficult time finding a reasonably priced 2022 MME, I found one from a special order that the buyer had to release (IBM, Lt Gray, ER-AWD Premium) from a different state. I flew in and then drove four hours back to my home. The car was charged to 275 miles when I took it with 25 miles on the odometer. Even starting with tall hills/small mtns, FordPass indicated 4.3 mi/kWh over 237 miles and according to the GoM, still had 73 miles left "in the tank" by the time I made it home. The average temp was around 72 and I maintained a speed of between 65-70 for most of the highway time.

Frankly, I was amazed at how well it performed through the mountains and on the highway and was glad to bypass the fast chargers.

Love the car. With the exception of the cheaper volume and transmission wheel, this is easily on par or better than the BMW X3 I just test drove.

Last edited:

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
After an incredibly difficult time finding a reasonably priced 2022 MME, I found one from a special order that the buyer had to release (IBM, Lt Gray, ER-AWD Premium) from a different state. I flew in and then drove four hours back to my home. The car was charged to 275 miles when I took it with 25 miles on the odometer. Even with going up and over tall hills/small mtns, FordPass indicated 4.3 mi/kWh over 237 miles and according to the GoM, still had 73 miles left "in the tank" by the time I made it home. The average temp was probably around 72 and I maintained a speed of between 65-70 for most of the highway time.

Frankly, I was amazed at how well it performed through the mountains and on the highway and was glad to bypass the fast chargers.

Love the car. With the exception of the cheaper volume and transmission wheel, this is easily on part or better than the BMW X3 I just test drove.
4.3m/kWh is on the high end of what you can expect.

AOSK has metal covers for the volume and gear change wheels.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
125 miles @ 80% I think I need the 3.6.2 power update my GOM maybe broken? I may have got the wrong/small battery? ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go Feb42023

Nice to see it auto conditions this winter. I do think they could come up with better wording than Preparing for Drive but that does not stop it from what it does. It appears it is looking after itself a lot better for me this winter šŸ‘. The little pump works in -30F. Second cold nights and still conditioning.

apwelsh

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-e Standard
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
There have been lots of new threads popping up from first time BEV drivers who are all worried or worked up because their Guess-O-Meter is showing much less range than they think it should.

Very simple answer: don't rely on the GOM! It doesn't know where you plan to go or the conditions it needs to calculate the actual range it can go. It will always be highly conservative. Be glad Ford gives you a conservative GOM -- it'll help keep you out of trouble.

How far can your Mach E really go? There are two good ways to find out. Neither is the GOM.

1. Trust the navigation system
Get in the car, turn on navigation, and pick a spot 200 miles away. See if it will navigate you there without charging. How much range will it have when you get there? If it can't get there without charging try shorter distances like 175 miles and 150 miles.

Now try with someplace 225 miles away, then 250, then 275, then 300. Once you have found a place near the end of your range the navigation system will tell you the range the car predicts to be able to go when it knows the distance, likely speed, altitude changes, and weather conditions of your drive. The distance of that drive plus the remaining range (you can trust it best when remaining range is low) will tell you your range.

I've found the navigation system to be very accurate and estimating my real range.

2. How far do you really go?
You can do the same thing with your normal driving. Charge up and drive it for a while. Drive until you are low on charge upon arriving home or a charging destination. How far do you go before charging and how much range does the car think is left?

Both of these will tell you your car's real range under real-world conditions.

Don't trust the GOM for anything other than a low-ball estimate. Then be glad Ford chose to do it this way. I've hopped in my Leaf trusting the GOM would get me somewhere, only to learn the GOM was based on slow around town driving and my battery won't get me where I need to go on my planned 70 mph interstate drive. I'd rather start out with a conservative GOM than a wildly optimistic one!
I noticed the ford nav does not account for weather temp (no surprise) but it also doesnā€™t not about the terrain. It cannot determine if the trip will have to climb hills, and cannot adjust for that. My nav kept recomputing to a closer charging station as it went up and down the hill on my drive.

MightyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE/Acura RDX/Saturn Ion
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Honestly they need to change the idea of a "range" without a destination. When I get in my car it shouldn't tell me a range. It should only tell me what % of the battery is charged or maybe the % of electricity I'm likely to get out of the pack based on temperature (e.g. 80% charged in winter isn't really 80% is it?)

Then all distances should be shown w.r.t GPS destination. Where the computer can take into consideration elevation changes & speed of travel. Then your "range" becomes real. Not fake. presumably your driving habits would be factored in as well.

Just like other parts of the car experience, we need to re-imagine elements, rather than try to make the new technology fit into the old paradigm. It's like having reins on an ICE vehicle because I'm used to driving a horse.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Honestly they need to change the idea of a "range" without a destination. When I get in my car it shouldn't tell me a range. It should only tell me what % of the battery is charged or maybe the % of electricity I'm likely to get out of the pack based on temperature (e.g. 80% charged in winter isn't really 80% is it?)

Then all distances should be shown w.r.t GPS destination. Where the computer can take into consideration elevation changes & speed of travel. Then your "range" becomes real. Not fake. presumably your driving habits would be factored in as well.

Just like other parts of the car experience, we need to re-imagine elements, rather than try to make the new technology fit into the old paradigm. It's like having reins on an ICE vehicle because I'm used to driving a horse.

...or at least have options on how you want the GOM range calculated...

personally, I would trust it a lot more if it was calculated using
(actual kWhr remaining) x (rolling average miles/kwhr over last 50 miles). This would not require a known destination, but would auto-adjust to 'recent history'. This would adjust much quicker to temperature, speed, and elevation affects to forecast range remaining.

and then if you ARE using Navigation to a known destination, the estimate could be 'adjusted' by known elevation change and estimated 'road type and posted speed' factors.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It cannot determine if the trip will have to climb hills, and cannot adjust for that. My nav kept recomputing to a closer charging station as it went up and down the hill on my drive.
I get ā€œrange reduced due to terrainā€ messages regularly in my car when driving home and using native nav. I live on the side of of a very tall dormant volcano:
Sponsored