Door lock: annoying sequence

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I've noticed a tiny little problem with the way my MME automatic lock works.
Usually I open a trunk and put my bag there and then move to open a driver door to get into the car.
When I open the trunk the car gets unlocked (the mirrors unfold) automatically. The problem is that when I close the trunk the car automatically locks back right away (the mirrors fold back). I don't need this as I am about to open the driver's door. So when I try to open the door it doesn't work for some reason. I have to take my key fob and manually unlock the car in order to open the door. This is sort of annoying.
Did I do something wrong in settings?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I believe that you are erroneous in your understanding of what's happening.

When you approach the car with your FOB or PaaK, the car wakes up. You see the exterior lights react, and the mirrors unfold. However, nothing has unlocked. Then, as you get within 3 feet of the hatch with your Paak or FOB, it unlocks. You close it, and walk away from it, and head to the locked driver's door. If you push the button and it doesn't unlock, wait a second or two and try again. It has to register that the FOB or PaaK is within 3 feet of the lock.

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
You probably didn’t do anything wrong. Just gotta live with it lol. My car locks when I walk to the frunk lol. Some say you have to probably unplug the 12v to get it sorted. I just learned to live with it.

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
My explorer does the same thing.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Usually I open a trunk and put my bag there and then move to open a driver door to get into the car.
When I open the trunk the car gets unlocked (the mirrors unfold) automatically. The problem is that when I close the trunk the car automatically locks back right away (the mirrors fold back). I don't need this as I am about to open the driver's door. So when I try to open the door it doesn't work for some reason. I have to take my key fob and manually unlock the car in order to open the door. This is sort of annoying.
Have the dealership apply Customer Service Action 21B36.

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I believe that you are erroneous in your understanding of what's happening.

When you approach the car with your FOB or PaaK, the car wakes up. You see the exterior lights react, and the mirrors unfold. However, nothing has unlocked. Then, as you get within 3 feet of the hatch with your Paak or FOB, it unlocks. You close it, and walk away from it, and head to the locked driver's door. If you push the button and it doesn't unlock, wait a second or two and try again. It has to register that the FOB or PaaK is within 3 feet of the lock.
When I approach the car it does wake up indeed, however when I get right near the hatch it doesn't unlock and it doesn't unfold mirrors as you mentioned. It gets unlocked only when I press on the hatch button.
As for the waiting for a few seconds - you are right. If I do that it lets me open the driver door without need to manually unlock it. But that is not the point. Waiting for a few seconds is still annoying. The question is why does it lock right after closing the hatch?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I approach the car it does wake up indeed, however when I get right near the hatch it doesn't unlock and it doesn't unfold mirrors as you mentioned. It gets unlocked only when I press on the hatch button.
As for the waiting for a few seconds - you are right. If I do that it lets me open the driver door without need to manually unlock it. But that is not the point. Waiting for a few seconds is still annoying. The question is why does it lock right after closing the hatch?
Let me rephrase.

The hatch does "unlock". In other words, the button, or kick sensor if equipped, is enabled for you to activate.

The vehicle doors do not unlock when you use the hatch. They are still locked. Therefore, if you then approach any door, it needs to recognize that the FOB or PaaK is within 3 feet, and that may take a few seconds, and that is totally normal operation.

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Let me rephrase.

The hatch does "unlock". In other words, the button, or kick sensor if equipped, is enabled for you to activate.

The vehicle doors do not unlock when you use the hatch. They are still locked. Therefore, if you then approach any door, it needs to recognize that the FOB or PaaK is within 3 feet, and that may take a few seconds, and that is totally normal operation.
The hatch doesn't unlock until I press its button. So if I just stand right near the hatch and wait the car does not unlock. Only when I press the hatch button to open it the car unlocks and unfolds mirrors.
My issue with this behavior is that it locks right when I close the hatch, not when I leave the car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The hatch doesn't unlock until I press its button. So if I just stand right near the hatch and wait the car does not unlock. Only when I press the hatch button to open it the car unlocks and unfolds mirrors.
My issue with this behavior is that it locks right when I close the hatch, not when I leave the car.
Test this:

Approach hatch. Push button.

DO NOT MOVE.

Have another person, with a FOB or PaaK on their person, approach the car and attempt to open any door. I believe they are all locked. Or, put the FOB/Phone down on the ground, and then go try yourself.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That's a design decision by Ford. They assume that you may want to get something from the trunk without leaving the car unlocked when you're done. You could hit one of the door buttons on your way to the trunk to get around it.

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
That's a design decision by Ford. They assume that you may want to get something from the trunk without leaving the car unlocked when you're done. You could hit one of the door buttons on your way to the trunk to get around it.
This design seems silly to me. Why would you lock the car right after closing the hatch if it locks automatically when you leave anyway .

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This design seems silly to me. Why would you lock the car right after closing the hatch if it locks automatically when you leave anyway .
Not all Fords have walk-away lock. And not everyone has it enabled on the cars that do. I'm not defending the design decision, but that's how it works.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You push the button on the hatch to close it - correct? What I think is going on is that the first touch unlocks the car and the second touch locks it. I have done this to myself opening the doors to my Expedition. Open the back door with touch and then when I try the front door it locks the car. Not all the time though so there may be a timer involved between touches.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You push the button on the hatch to close it - correct? What I think is going on is that the first touch unlocks the car and the second touch locks it. I have done this to myself opening the doors to my Expedition. Open the back door with touch and then when I try the front door it locks the car. Not all the time though so there may be a timer involved between touches.
No, the doors are not unlocked when the hatch is opened.
Sponsored