Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
6APR21: Update at the end of this post below.
-----------
Hello all,

Detailing another problem we've had. This is occurring on the front passenger door.

For some reason, the bolt that pushes the door open will extend while the door is fully open. This prevents the door from being closed. In fact, this has resulted in the door flying open while driving (twice) as we did not notice the door was not latched before departing.

There's no rhyme or reason. This has happened with the car off, the car on, someone in the passenger seat, someone not. I can't replicate so far, but still trying.

Have sent to the dealer here, so will update if I get updates.

Picture below of the bolt thing extended when it shouldn't be.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing Door Bolt Extended

6APR21 Update: Door latch was replaced, so far no other issues. Post can be found here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Apparently an accelerometer is used to trigger the push rod retraction when the door is opened at any normal opening rate.

Yours may have stopped working or became misaligned or something?

This is a serious safety issue. Let us know how the service experience works out with your dealer.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Apparently an accelerometer is used to trigger the push rod retraction when the door is opened at any normal opening rate.

Yours may have stopped working or became misaligned or something?

This is a serious safety issue. Let us know how the service experience works out with your dealer.
Oooo, I'll have to check doing it with slower opening speeds (or faster?).

Dealership is trying to track down who I should tell about this... so far just emails back and forth.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Hello all,

Detailing another problem we've had. This is occurring on the front passenger door.

For some reason, the bolt that pushes the door open will extend while the door is fully open. This prevents the door from being closed. In fact, this has resulted in the door flying open while driving (twice) as we did not notice the door was not latched before departing.

There's no rhyme or reason. This has happened with the car off, the car on, someone in the passenger seat, someone not. I can't replicate so far, but still trying.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing Door Bolt Extended
Hope the dealer gets help from Ford to figure out whats wrong - would be not good if door opens during motion

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Hope the dealer gets help from Ford to figure out whats wrong - would be not good if door opens during motion
I wasn't there, but apparently a bunch of stuff my wife had on the passenger seat spilled out into the road with the door that came open... Luckily they were still in the neighborhood and moving pretty slowly. Agree, not good.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oooo, I'll have to check doing it with slower opening speeds (or faster?).

Dealership is trying to track down who I should tell about this... so far just emails back and forth.
Show this image to you dealer. There is a place for them to report these things and presumably get prompt attention.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing 1614199752756

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
Just to be clear - door did NOT unlatch and open while driving? It was never closed/latched in first place due to the faulty kickstand mechanism so it flew open? Want to make sure if I have to duct tape my little ones to their seats. ;~)

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Just to be clear - door did NOT unlatch and open while driving? It was never closed/latched in first place due to the faulty kickstand mechanism so it flew open? Want to make sure if I have to duct tape my little ones to their seats. ;~)
Correct. It never latched in the first place...

However, we did have an issue with the other option as well. The rolldown-window lock is the same button as the lock-the-back-doors lock. It's electronic, so there aren't any options to just lock one door vs the other. We have 1 older kid who needs to get out of the car for school drop off and another kid who is in a toddler seat and should be strapped in at all times. He pulled the little lever, and since it's got an actuator, it popped the door open. Wish it could be customized to door... alas. Annoying to have to remember to lock or unlock the child lock every time.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Show this image to you dealer. There is a place for them to report these things and presumably get prompt attention.
Done... we'll see what they say.

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
Hello all,

Oh my gosh that's scary! Hope you get it sorted fast!

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Correct. It never latched in the first place...

However, we did have an issue with the other option as well. The rolldown-window lock is the same button as the lock-the-back-doors lock. It's electronic, so there aren't any options to just lock one door vs the other. We have 1 older kid who needs to get out of the car for school drop off and another kid who is in a toddler seat and should be strapped in at all times. He pulled the little lever, and since it's got an actuator, it popped the door open. Wish it could be customized to door... alas. Annoying to have to remember to lock or unlock the child lock every time.
Hmm so it does have safety mechanism to prevent opening when driving.... ? May be there is an argument for the way it is designed

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Hmm so it does have safety mechanism to prevent opening when driving.... ? May be there is an argument for the way it is designed
It does. But this is a separate question from someone. The issue in the original post is a front passenger door that doesn’t latch due to the kickstand in the way.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
?? No question about it... The service writer at the service department needs to write up your concern as stated.

Have you been communicating through sales or something like that instead of service?

If so, report the issue directly to service. They should know how to proceed from there.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Hello all,

So, one more tool to add to the car’s toolkit. A screwdriver that can remove those two screws that hold the ice-breaker piston there. ?