Sabbaspar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi all. For about a week my driver side rear door does not prop all the way open in the cold. My kid must stick his tiny fingers between the fender and door edge to pry it open. Seems dangerous.

It's going to be tricky with a sheet of ice on it where one could normally grab the door handle for a little extra ummph. Wishing for a proper rear pull like the front that wont snap off like the aftermarket ones.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I've also noticed inconsistent opening of my driver's door. I've been experimenting with shorter and longer presses to see if there is a pattern but so far haven't seen one.

OP
OP

Sabbaspar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I've also noticed inconsistent opening of my driver's door. I've been experimenting with shorter and longer presses to see if there is a pattern but so far haven't seen one.
Same here. Trying to identify a trend. My kid's door doesn't quite pop open enough and he must stick his fingers in and under the lip to pull door open.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
ps. It doesn't seem to be a winter vs summer thing since it happens in a relatively warm garage in Tucson.

OP
OP

Sabbaspar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
ps. It doesn't seem to be a winter vs summer thing since it happens in a relatively warm garage in Tucson.
Hmm. Good call. You're right because we had a 60 degree day here in NJ just last week and it still did it.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Wait.....are you saying it doesn't open at all? It never will come fully open on button press. The same as the front doors. It is not designed to. It pops open and the plunger stays in place to prevent the door from closing again. That is until you begin to pull the door open. Then the plunger retracts as it thinks the door is being opened to allow a passenger in and then be closed. If you don't want your kid to stick their hand in the opening, get the aftermarket handles for the back doors.

OP
OP

Sabbaspar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Wait.....are you saying it doesn't open at all? It never will come fully open on button press. The same as the front doors. It is not designed to. It pops open and the plunger stays in place to prevent the door from closing again. That is until you begin to pull the door open. Then the plunger retracts as it thinks the door is being opened to allow a passenger in and then be closed. If you don't want your kid to stick their hand in the opening, get the aftermarket handles for the back doors.

Thanks for the reply. My rear door does not pop out like the rest of them do. The rest pop open about 3 inches upon pressing open button, just enough for fingers to get behind to pull door open. My driver side rear door makes a pop sound, but only projects out a millimeter or two...not a enough to gey hands behind to pull open. I literally have to open drivers door and push door open from inside.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. My rear door does not pop out like the rest of them do. The rest pop open about 3 inches upon pressing open button, just enough for fingers to get behind to pull door open. My driver side rear door makes a pop sound, but only projects out a millimeter or two...not a enough to gey hands behind to pull open. I literally have to open drivers door and push door open from inside.
Sounds like you need to take back to get serviced.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Yep, leave it to the car companies to reinvent something as simple as a door handle. Because God forbid Ford doesn't mimic Tesla in every shape and form.

The whole obsession with seamless, electronic door handles is beyond my understanding. It's not innovation. It's cheap gimmickry designed to appeal to a primitive consumer mind.

OP
OP

Sabbaspar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Yep, leave it to the car companies to reinvent something as simple as a door handle. Because God forbid Ford doesn't mimic Tesla in every shape and form.

The whole obsession with seamless, electronic door handles is beyond my understanding. It's not innovation. It's cheap gimmickry designed to appeal to a primitive consumer mind.

Even if they took the Lincoln Continental door handle style, but in black, and allow for a physical pull handle that could still be sleek and different. The push button is proving problematic.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have a problem with the way the door opens. I quite like it actually.

Earplug

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GT-PE
Country flag

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Mine is a bit different. Usually it works fine, but occasionally it doesn't respond at all until I've pushed it several times with my finger.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Even if they took the Lincoln Continental door handle style, but in black, and allow for a physical pull handle that could still be sleek and different. The push button is proving problematic.
My favorite thing is when the door opens when I'm power washing the car and the spray hits the button. Love getting the interior wet.
Sponsored