sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Not likely. The software fix that cripples the acceleration is to keep that battery from bursting into flames.
I am just not buying that. I think they're erring on the side of caution, but there's no way they've built a car that's a second of full acceleration away from "bursting into flames."

Looks like we have some intel that they'll be bumping it to 10 seconds in the spring, anyway.
Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
You sure it wasn’t an Accord 2.0t?

Easy to spot a performance. They have a red line under the dual motor badge.
I tried spotting the wheels to see if it had the “performance brakes” but he was too far gone lol

If this happened to me in a GT I’d honestly want my money back. Ford needs to address the GT power cutoff. Such BS.

SnowBunnE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y
Country flag
03:30 Race 1
05:06 Race 2
07:38 Roll-on Race
08:25 At The Lab

No shock here…As I’m more of an “urban” driver, I am all smiles when I shock the random Charger, Porsche, (insert fast ICE here) off the line in a feigned race to the next red light….that’s usually enough for them to meet up at the next stop light with a smile on their face and ??. I know and live with my baby’s limitations. Us married men do it ALL the time…?????

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
First off the R1T base version is $67k, zero options, base battery,, standard interior and standard tires without the off-road package. While the well equipped version Adventure package with max battery, off road tires, and off road package runs significantly more at $90,100. This would be the equivalent performance package to the GT. Additionally the R1T runs four 4 motors on all 4 tires vs MME GTPEs 2. Apples to oranges Frankie. So yes while you can get a $67k vehicle with Base everything, its not a true comparison.
Lol, no, the one that MT tested was 74k, not 90, and probably included options that don't improve performance, so it's pretty much apples to apples, sorry.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I am just not buying that. I think they're erring on the side of caution, but there's no way they've built a car that's a second of full acceleration away from "bursting into flames."

Looks like we have some intel that they'll be bumping it to 10 seconds in the spring, anyway.
Is your "intel" from an anonymous youtuber?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Lol, no, the one that MT tested was 74k, not 90, and probably included options that don't improve performance, so it's pretty much apples to apples, sorry.
Again, why is this embarrassing?

Guess what else costs $74k? The GT500.

We are discussing some of the fastest cars on the planet for the price.

I’m happy just to be fast enough to be worth a comparison.

Ain’t nothing wrong with a 2nd or 3rd place finish when there are HUNDREDS competing.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Again, why is this embarrassing?

Guess what else costs $74k? The GT500.

We are discussing some of the fastest cars on the planet for the price.

I’m happy just to be fast enough to be worth a comparison.

Ain’t nothing wrong with a 2nd or 3rd place finish when there are HUNDREDS competing.
Why can a start up make a 7200 pound pickup so fast and Ford can't make a Performance Edition Mustang GT that's really even close? The Mustang gets smoked by half a second 0-60 and like 10 mph in the traps.

Think of it this way: A Mustang getting beat by a Camaro happens. It kinda sucks. No Mustang owner likes to see it, but it happens. Sometimes Chevys are just faster.

A Mustang getting beat by a garbage truck though? How could ford let that happen? Imagine a literal garbage truck being faster than your Mustang! SO EMBARRASSING!

Getting beat by a pickup is somewhere in between Chevy and literal garbage truck on the embarrassment scale.

And lol at saying the Mustang is in second place. Come on man. Be honest. You know that isn't true.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why can a start up make a 7200 pound pickup so fast and Ford can't make a Performance Edition Mustang GT that's really even close? The Mustang gets smoked by half a second 0-60 and like 10 mph in the traps.

Think of it this way: A Mustang getting beat by a Camaro happens. It kinda sucks. No Mustang owner likes to see it, but it happens. Sometimes Chevys are just faster.

A Mustang getting beat by a garbage truck though? How could ford let that happen? Imagine a literal garbage truck being faster than your Mustang! SO EMBARRASSING!

Getting beat by a pickup is somewhere in between Chevy and literal garbage truck on the embarrassment scale.

And lol at saying the Mustang is in second place. Come on man. Be honest. You know that isn't true.
It’s like you don’t understand how horsepower works. 835 hp is gonna make it fast.

Put a few thousand horsepower on a garbage truck and they’ll be fast too!

And yes, for acceleration to $$, we are very fast.

Since you’re using base price, go ahead and make a list of vehicles that do 0-60 in faster than 3.5 for less than $66k.

Then make the same list for a street race (like the one in the video we are discussing).

I am definitely not “embarrassed” of where we fit in that list.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
It’s like you don’t understand how horsepower works. 835 hp is gonna make it fast.
Lmao its like you don't understand how basic reasoning works. Was there some sort of law preventing ford from making the Mustang more powerful? Yes, the Rivian has a ton more power than the Ford for the same money. THAT'S THE POINT.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lmao its like you don't understand how basic reasoning works. Was there some sort of law preventing ford from making the Mustang more powerful? Yes, the Rivian has a ton more power than the Ford for the same money. THAT'S THE POINT.
Yes, the Rivian is faster (although it costs more).

And how many vehicles that cost LESS are faster?

Not an embarrassing amount.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
You've got a point, but in this case, it's apparently misleading -- Rivian's R1T doesn't seem to quite live up to the claim. Edmunds got it down the track in a 3.5 second 0-60:

That said, it's also an extremely heavy car compared to the Mach-E, which is accounted for by its 150-200ish extra hp. It's also a lot less efficient (weight, truck profile).

Those are the tradeoffs. Oh, and it's really starting at about $67.5k or so; $77k with the max battery pack which has the fastest acceleration. And adding any colors other than white or gray adds $1500-$2500; wheels and tires another couple grand, etc. It adds up.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You've got a point, but in this case, it's apparently misleading -- Rivian's R1T doesn't seem to quite live up to the claim. Edmunds got it down the track in a 3.5 second 0-60:

That said, it's also an extremely heavy car compared to the Mach-E, which is accounted for by its 150-200ish extra hp. It's also a lot less efficient (weight, truck profile).

Those are the tradeoffs. Oh, and it's really starting at about $67.5k or so; $77k with the max battery pack which has the fastest acceleration. And adding any colors other than white or gray adds $1500-$2500; wheels and tires another couple grand, etc. It adds up.
Good review.

Not surprisingly, the 835hp can overcome the weight in acceleration, but hurts everywhere else.

We significantly outhandle it (.99 G vs .87) and out brake (106 ft vs 117) and it’s quoted as the “least efficient BEV they’ve tested.”

Still a pretty cool truck. I can tell they kinda overthought some features. A built in charging flashlight in the seat? Why? My wife had a 2008 Dodge minivan with a built in flashlight. We used it once and that’s before our cell phones had a good one.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
And where is your intel that it's limited to 5 seconds to prevent it from bursting into flames? :)
Battery Thermal Bottleneck Suspicions / Slow Charging [by InsideEVs] | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

The battery pack in the Mach-e is very similar to the battery pack in the Chevy Bolt. See the article discussed in the thread I linked. I am concerned that Ford is already pushing this battery pack to hard.

The Bolt has been recalled to replace the battery packs after numerous car fires. It happened to Chevy and it could happen to Ford too.

I have backed off on buying a Mach-e for this reason. I may be interested again if and when they have a battery pack that can charge at 250kwh and does not have a 5 second full power duration limitation.

The software fix is to avoid the thermal issues (5 second duration and Unbridled Extend). Increasing the full power duration will only increase Fords risk. They shouldn't have released a car with a bigger front motor that increases the power draw until they had a battery pack that is able to meet the requirement.
Sponsored