Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Ford NEEDS to update the software for the GT. The electric F150 will be released soon and me and every other GT owner will be pissed if an F150 ends up hanging with or curb stomping us in the quarter mile. Giving us 10 seconds is essential to saving the Mustang name from complete embarrassment.
Sponsored

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
You've got a point, but in this case, it's apparently misleading -- Rivian's R1T doesn't seem to quite live up to the claim. Edmunds got it down the track in a 3.5 second 0-60:
Of course, the Ford also has not lived up to its claims. Edmunds 3.5 out of the Rivian is still faster than what Edmunds got out of the Mach-E GTPE: 3.8 seconds.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Of course, the Ford also has not lived up to its claims. Edmunds 3.5 out of the Rivian is still faster than what Edmunds got out of the Mach-E GTPE: 3.8 seconds.
Yes, but with an (actually -- the difference is more than I thought!) 400 hp advantage. That's disappointing on the part of the Rivian R1T.

But all of this is moot next to the fact that these are completely different purpose-built cars.
Let them both take a lap on the Nürburgring, and I'll take bets on which one finishes way faster (GTPE).

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Battery Thermal Bottleneck Suspicions / Slow Charging [by InsideEVs] | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

The battery pack in the Mach-e is very similar to the battery pack in the Chevy Bolt. See the article discussed in the thread I linked. I am concerned that Ford is already pushing this battery pack to hard.

The Bolt has been recalled to replace the battery packs after numerous car fires. It happened to Chevy and it could happen to Ford too.

I have backed off on buying a Mach-e for this reason. I may be interested again if and when they have a battery pack that can charge at 250kwh and does not have a 5 second full power duration limitation.

The software fix is to avoid the thermal issues (5 second duration and Unbridled Extend). Increasing the full power duration will only increase Fords risk. They shouldn't have released a car with a bigger front motor that increases the power draw until they had a battery pack that is able to meet the requirement.
Sorry, but this just seems silly to me.

That would be like not buying an iPhone because an android caught fire and they both use lithium batteries.

There is zero evidence that the Mach E is in danger of spontaneous combustion.

If you don’t like the performance, that’s one thing. But being afraid of something that “could happen” with no evidence makes no sense.

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford, 1967 Mustang GTA, DMG 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The 70,000 dollar Mustang GTPE gets smoked in both the 1/4 and to 60 by the ~70,000 Rivian pickup that’s rolling out right now. That’s one of the things that I think is kind of the most pathetic tbh.
I doubt I'll ever see a Rivian truck around here, this is Ford truck country

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For someone who says they own a Mach E you sure bad mouth them a lot. If you don't like them then sell it and stop bothering us with your Bull

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Battery Thermal Bottleneck Suspicions / Slow Charging [by InsideEVs] | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

The battery pack in the Mach-e is very similar to the battery pack in the Chevy Bolt. See the article discussed in the thread I linked. I am concerned that Ford is already pushing this battery pack to hard.

The Bolt has been recalled to replace the battery packs after numerous car fires. It happened to Chevy and it could happen to Ford too.

I have backed off on buying a Mach-e for this reason. I may be interested again if and when they have a battery pack that can charge at 250kwh and does not have a 5 second full power duration limitation.

The software fix is to avoid the thermal issues (5 second duration and Unbridled Extend). Increasing the full power duration will only increase Fords risk. They shouldn't have released a car with a bigger front motor that increases the power draw until they had a battery pack that is able to meet the requirement.
Just somebody's opinion who's not at all an expert. They say things like "Sandy Munro said this or that" don't mean it's true.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Ford NEEDS to update the software for the GT. The electric F150 will be released soon and me and every other GT owner will be pissed if an F150 ends up hanging with or curb stomping us in the quarter mile. Giving us 10 seconds is essential to saving the Mustang name from complete embarrassment.
Appears to me that the F-150 Lightning will be kicking the Mach-e GT to the curb this spring.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Appears to me that the F-150 Lightning will be kicking the Mach-e GT to the curb this spring.
Unlikely.

“The powertrain setup with the smaller pack is rated at 426 horsepower, while opting for the bigger pack increases the electric motors' total output to 563 horses. Every F-150 Lightning has a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive setup. Both configurations have 775 pound-feet of torque, 205 more than the F-150's new PowerBoost hybrid V-6. Ford says the F-150 Lightning will reach 60 mph in the mid-4.0-second range with the bigger pack.”

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36433090/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-specs-revealed/

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Not likely. The software fix that cripples the acceleration is to keep that battery from bursting into flames.
Where are you getting the info that this is a limit "to keep that battery from bursting into flames"?

The more reasonable explanation is the limit is to maintain long-term health of the battery, and Ford has even stated this. The battery is warrantied for 8 years, with 70% of battery performance (SoC/range). Ford is a big, publicly traded company, and wants to get this right. Other smaller manufacturers get the benefit of the doubt, and their problems with battery degradation are seemingly handled very differently. Given that battery replacement is a costly venture, there is an incentive to either do what's right (protect the long term health of the drivetrain) or sweep it under the rug with denials and NDAs. Ford chose the former.

As for the 5s limit being bumped to 10s, I hope that is true. Ford is trying out a new platform here, and are likely doing long-term failure analysis (life-cycle testing, HALT/HASS, etc) to fine-tune what they are capable of in reliability and performance. That process takes time.

Am I happy there is a 5s limit on max acceleration? Not particularly, but I don't live my life a quarter of a mile at a time. Would I be pissed if after three years my range would be below 200 miles? You bet your sweet ass. I'll suck up a few drag race losses to have a usable, fun family car for the long haul.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Just somebody's opinion who's not at all an expert. They say things like "Sandy Munro said this or that" don't mean it's true.
Well, if Ford doesn't think it's true why don't the litigate for libel, slander and defamation of character. The reason they don't litigate is very simple. It's because they can't prove that it isn't true.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Where are you getting the info that this is a limit "to keep that battery from bursting into flames"?

The more reasonable explanation is the limit is to maintain long-term health of the battery, and Ford has even stated this. The battery is warrantied for 8 years, with 70% of battery performance (SoC/range). Ford is a big, publicly traded company, and wants to get this right. Other smaller manufacturers get the benefit of the doubt, and their problems with battery degradation are seemingly handled very differently. Given that battery replacement is a costly venture, there is an incentive to either do what's right (protect the long term health of the drivetrain) or sweep it under the rug with denials and NDAs. Ford chose the former.

As for the 5s limit being bumped to 10s, I hope that is true. Ford is trying out a new platform here, and are likely doing long-term failure analysis (life-cycle testing, HALT/HASS, etc) to fine-tune what they are capable of in reliability and performance. That process takes time.

Am I happy there is a 5s limit on max acceleration? Not particularly, but I don't live my life a quarter of a mile at a time. Would I be pissed if after three years my range would be below 200 miles? You bet your sweet ass. I'll suck up a few drag race losses to have a usable, fun family car for the long haul.
A lithium-ion battery that is in poor health can burst into flames. This isn't just an issue of range loss. Chevrolet has had to deal with this very recently and they are still replacing battery packs and they still haven't started manufacturing the Bolt again.

I did not mean the car would instantaneously burst into flame at that very moment. However, in extreme cases even that is possible when a battery is at a very high state of charge, but Ford has placed limits to prevent this from happening.

There is an issue or Ford would not have placed a limit on full power and a mode to help manage the problem (Unbridled Extend). Why would Ford want to increase their risks for the ego of a few customers which might lead to even more negative media. There will be a different battery pack in the future.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Unlikely.

“The powertrain setup with the smaller pack is rated at 426 horsepower, while opting for the bigger pack increases the electric motors' total output to 563 horses. Every F-150 Lightning has a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive setup. Both configurations have 775 pound-feet of torque, 205 more than the F-150's new PowerBoost hybrid V-6. Ford says the F-150 Lightning will reach 60 mph in the mid-4.0-second range with the bigger pack.”

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36433090/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-specs-revealed/
I think the Lightning with the big battery would win in the quarter mile because of the 5 second max duration limit.
Sponsored