Drive-away warning or prevention when charging?

Its_my_wifes_car

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Future 2022 Premium AWD Extended Range “it’s my wife’s car” - (ordered 3 weeks ago):

These forums are great but one question I’ve been wondering about and haven’t seen posted or answered….

Is there any safety mechanism or warning that prevents an individual from driving the car away while it’s plugged into a charger? I’d imagine so based on all the tech build into this beast - but figured I’d ask…
Sponsored

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When you plug in the MME is shifts into Park if it is not already there. You cannot shift out of Park with a charger plugged into the charge port.

hjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Mustang, DMG Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Future 2022 Premium AWD Extended Range “it’s my wife’s car” - (ordered 3 weeks ago):

These forums are great but one question I’ve been wondering about and haven’t seen posted or answered….

Is there any safety mechanism or warning that prevents an individual from driving the car away while it’s plugged into a charger? I’d imagine so based on all the tech build into this beast - but figured I’d ask…
Don't remember if it actually prevented me from driving but I remember trying in the garage to see what happens if I switched to drive and a big very noticeable warning came up on the screen telling me that I was plugged in.

Had the concern that I'd notice that the car was plugged in since I have to skirt the charging cord to get in but I am not sure if my family is that observant.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Yes. The car doesn't start until you unplug it. So you cannot physically drive away without unplugging it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes. The car doesn't start until you unplug it. So you cannot physically drive away without unplugging it.
I’m pretty sure it will at least “start” in accessory mode. I remember returning to my car while it was on DCFC and was able to start it so I could use the AC.
I know I have also initiated DCFC without shutting it off.
It won’t shift out of park, though.

This is all from memory last summer, so I might be off on some of it. A lot of bourbon since then!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m pretty sure it will at least “start” in accessory mode. I remember returning to my car while it was on DCFC and was able to start it so I could use the AC.
I know I have also initiated DCFC without shutting it off.
It won’t shift out of park, though.

This is all from memory last summer, so I might be off on some of it. A lot of bourbon since then!
Accessory mode only, so you can't drive anywhere.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag

The car will not drive while plugged in.

I've wrestled with accessory mode. Snacking in a parking lot, for example, it seems logical. While the DC/DC converter comes on initially to charge the 12V battery, I have not been able yet to verify that it comes on a second time later if needed (on the to do list).

So, once I just left it "On" and and was a little concerned that as I was enjoying my coffee and donut, I had accidentally rotated into D. Nothing happened, the e-brake was on, but it would have moved I had pressed the go pedal. It usually takes a number of events (almost always 3) for things to go terribly wrong.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
The car doesn't start until you unplug it.
I think you two are saying the same thing. Just different terminologies.

As I understand that, Mach E has a handful of different "start" modes.

1. ACC mode. You enter it by pushing start button without pressing brake pedal. The start button blinks. My understanding is that you don't get full AC.
2. Remote start mode. You enter it by starting from your phone. The start button blinks. You get full AC.
3. Plug in start mode. You enter it pushing start button with brake pedal pressed, while the car is plugged in. Or you enter it by plugging in a started car. The start button doesn't blink. You get full AC.
4. Drive mode. You enter it pushing start button with brake pedal pressed.

In mode 1, 2, 3, you're forced to P.

In mode 4, you can shift out of P. Even then, if you leave driver seat, the car will automatically shift to P. Additionally, if you closed driver door when the car is in P mode, the car will check for key after the doors are closed, and won't allow you to shift out of P if the key isn't present. (You can try this by opening the door, leave, put the key somewhere outside the car, and then return.)

Additional caveat, it's possible to force the car to stay in N after you leave the seat.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll put it in plain English:

If the car is plugged in, you can't drive it. It's identical to when you turn the keys in an ICE vehicle to the first click, and get power and lights, but no ignition.

When you remove the plug, and then push the button again while depressing the brake pedal, it will start.

The only difference in behavior between accessory mode in the Mach-E and an ICE vehicle is full operation of the HVAC system.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'll put it in plain English:

If the car is plugged in, you can't drive it. It's identical to when you turn the keys in an ICE vehicle to the first click, and get power and lights, but no ignition.

When you remove the plug, and then push the button again while depressing the brake pedal, it will start.

The only difference in behavior between accessory mode in the Mach-E and an ICE vehicle is full operation of the HVAC system.
I think the question of 12V LVB drain in ACC (long period of time) is still open, ACC mode vs. "ON"

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The OP wanted to know if the car can be driven away when it's plugged in. The answer is NO.

The rest of this is just extraneous information that has nothing to do with the OP's question.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Accessory mode only, so you can't drive anywhere.
This was what I was reacting to. I believe you can do either accessory mode or full "on" while plugged in.

But, yes, you cannot drive while "on" and plugged in.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This was what I was reacting to. I believe you can do either accessory mode or full "on" while plugged in.

But, yes, you cannot drive while "on" and plugged in.
I don't agree. You have to unplug, then step on the brake and hit power again.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don't agree. You have to unplug, then step on the brake and hit power again.
Well, I just did it (I do these two different modes often during my testing)

plugged in, push on button only - goes into accessory mode (red battery symbol lights on speedo display)

plugged in, step on brake, push on button, MME goes full "on", but will not move if you press the go pedal.
Sponsored