Drive for two hours - Charge for an hour road trip.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Um, relative to what? Certainly not as compared to any comfortable ICE. And not as compared to more efficient Teslas or 800v EVs, either.

Relatively speaking, the Mach E is one of the crappier road tripping cars.
Maybe to you, why do you care how someone else feels? I agree we love road-tripping in it.
Sponsored

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Does it even matter that much? 2 hours of driving and 1 hour of charging will happen with an EV like Tesla... okay maybe a little more efficiency with the heat pump so a bit more driving and a tad less charging.

With an ICE car - if your bladder allows (mine does not) - you can drive for 3 hours straight.
This!! OP even in a model y with this travel itenary, he would have driven 2 hours and 15 min and then charged for 30 min. No way around that with ev for now.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
With EV chargers every 50 miles I think the infrastructure will address the concerns
I'd like to see DCFC reservations. You punch in that you're in route, it 'locks' a stall for you. Just like Dr's offices. Walk in's are welcome, but you have a seat over there, this guy has an appt.
Is it possibly you get a shit charger, yeah. But you have a charger. It's a start

Kangio

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium ER
Country flag
This is exactly why I cancelled my Lightning order. I had a reservation for 1.5yrs, finally able to place the order last Fall, only to cancel 2 weeks later after reading about the range issues on the Lightning forum. Really planned on longer road trips with the F150. After experiencing a bit too much range anxiety with the MachE, I decided to go with the F150 Plat powerboost hybrid. Pretty decent milage with the hybrid. I am saving over $25k for essentially the same loaded Platinum package. I figured it would take more than the lifetime of the truck to make up the difference in fuel costs. With the extended fuel tank my range will be over 450 miles. Maybe if I lived in Cali instead of the east coast I would feel differently. Still love the MME, but only for shorter trips that do not require DC chargers.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'd like to see DCFC reservations. You punch in that you're in route, it 'locks' a stall for you. Just like Dr's offices. Walk in's are welcome, but you have a seat over there, this guy has an appt.
Is it possibly you get a shit charger, yeah. But you have a charger. It's a start
EVGo has this already at some stations. Not sure I've read about anyone using this service, I'd like to know what the experience is like

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Sadly the EV-go's I've been to were EV-no's. Even ones that looked like they worked I couldn't get to even see the car.

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
LIES!!!! Everybody knows it is EASY to road-trip in the Mach E! All it takes is “a little planning.”
[/QUOTE😂

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
No matter how much planning you do it’s not going to change the situation with having to spend an hour charging for every two hours of driving, or worse than that depending on charger locations. I really don’t like spending that much time in Walmart parking lots, which are the only places the fast chargers are located.

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Yes! 2.2 hours.

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Honestly, this isn't news, didn't you know this before the big purchase? It's the main reason I don't have a BEV, I'm not going to hang around a charger pray it works and then wait an hour. The whole CCS charging system is a mess. It's going to take years to improve until it's somewhat useful. In the meantime a PHEV gets you electric around town and stress-free gas for roadtrips so you don't have to buy another car for roadtrips.
And that's why the RAV4 Primes are selling for more $$$ then the MME. Look at used RAV4 and used MME. 10K premium for the RAV4 if you can even find one. MME's are easy to get and the prices are dropping every day. I got a quote a month ago for 22 premium AWD extended range 50K. Last week they said 44 and sorry the market is crashing. These same guys bought my 21 in July for 60. Same exact car and mileage.

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No matter how much planning you do it’s not going to change the situation with having to spend an hour charging for every two hours of driving, or worse than that depending on charger locations. I really don’t like spending that much time in Walmart parking lots, which are the only places the fast chargers are located.
It's a big assumption that there ARE alternatives. Not always the case everywhere.

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This!! OP even in a model y with this travel itenary, he would have driven 2 hours and 15 min and then charged for 30 min. No way around that with ev for now.
The difference i Tesla charging stations are more available and more reliable.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
The difference i Tesla charging stations are more available and more reliable.
I understand that part, I was implying that no ev can com close to ICE in this regard

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Nobody is right or wrong here. Everyone has different experiences, expectations, and travel needs/requirements. And travel in different parts of the country, in different weather and with widely varying charging infrastructure. I’ve had good road trip experiences for certain kinds of trips in certain areas, at certain times of year.

I don’t take much stock in people’s opinions one way or another. I do value factual information that can be helpful in making purchase and usage decisions. My experience was interesting to me, and could be useful to others.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Is this the premature electrification that gm was going on about?
GM is trying to turn lemons into lemonade... their EV ramp up is pathetic. They sold 36 Lyriqs last year.

They are deflecting to plug in hybrids without casting too much shade on the EVs they are proving unable to produce.
Sponsored