Driver seat ActiveX material failing after 13k miles.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Wtf you supposed to do with all the skin from the beef machines? So long as steaks are consumed, there will be leather available.

I get it... Cruelty free I suppose, and there may be people who not only choose to go meat-free but also do not want to touch any part of a dead animal, from shoes to sofas to car seat material. If one of those persons really likes the MME and can afford it, that might be a deal breaker.

On that note - streamline your damn production facility to make seat material options easier to install and give your customers a choice! Henry Ford made this whole production line thing over a hundred years ago and he didn't have robots, to think they need to limit options in order to make a profit after doing this for a hundred years is just nuts.

/rant
Iā€™m not saying I agree, I do work in vet med but am a meat eater. But, Iā€™d just guess itā€™s perception and demographic targeting.
Sponsored

cmsmith1977

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Res MachE First Edition
Country flag

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Yes, youā€™re right! I distinctly remember wearing pants while driving my car. Maybe that caused it.

No. I wear jeans and workout pants. Nothing in my back pockets. Iā€™ve worn pants my wire life while driving and plan to continue wearing pants while driving.
Well, get ready to catch a bunch or crap. I have almost two years and twice the milage than you. I have an 80 lb Bernese Mountain Dog that rids with me everywhere, and the upholstery is in fine shape.

Many others here have more miles and fine upholstery too.

I get you're upset. Fine by me if you never want to buy Ford again. Aren't you at all curious why your seats have failed with so little use while some with much more use are fine?

And the poster who suggested you might have had something in your pockets that damaged the upholstery was trying to be helpful. Why the return sarcasm? What did the poster do that deserved that kind of reply?

Anyway, best of luck whatever you end up doing.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Then you are inclined wrong. But sure, pile on me despite my record of contribution to this forum. Just because your low quality seat hasnā€™t failed yet doesnā€™t make it any less low quality. Go ahead, reinforce your buying decision by pretending this cheap vinyl seat belongs in a $60,000 car. I know a bunch of people driving luxury Teslas that think the same thing.

Look at my photo. That vinyl is the thinest seat material Iā€™ve ever seen. Itā€™s objectively low quality, even if it hasnā€™t failed for most people yet.
I saw a forum thread a while back showing the vegan seat material was failing. Right now itā€™s warranty but later you may need duct tape, or a seat cover.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
Well, get ready to catch a bunch or crap. I have almost two years and twice the milage than you. I have an 80 lb Bernese Mountain Dog that rids with me everywhere, and the upholstery is in fine shape.

Many others here have more miles and fine upholstery too.

I get you're upset. Fine by me if you never want to buy Ford again. Aren't you at all curious why your seats have failed with so little use while some with much more use are fine?

And the poster who suggested you might have had something in your pockets that damaged the upholstery was trying to be helpful. Why the return sarcasm? What did the poster do that deserved that kind of reply?

Anyway, best of luck whatever you end up doing.
I actually thought that the posters response was quite funny and he is just venting.

I too would be quite upset. Because a few seats haven't failed doesn't mean that the poster did anything wrong or unusual. This product is clearly inferior to say the least. I also am dreading purchasing this car. If I could spin the wheels back I would not have purchased it but I am too far in at this point.

I am going to grit my teeth and live with my decision but many aspects of this car are cheap and I will get rid of it much sooner than I originally planned. This too will be my last Ford purchase. Time to move on from them.

OP
OP
Ride_the_lightning

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I actually thought that the posters response was quite funny and he is just venting.

I too would be quite upset. Because a few seats haven't failed doesn't mean that the poster did anything wrong or unusual. This product is clearly inferior to say the least. I also am dreading purchasing this car. If I could spin the wheels back I would not have purchased it but I am too far in at this point.

I am going to grit my teeth and live with my decision but many aspects of this car are cheap and I will get rid of it much sooner than I originally planned. This too will be my last Ford purchase. Time to move on from them.
Yes, my response was meant to be funny because I had already considered if it could be something I was wearing, etc. I feel better knowing that for 2-3k I can have it replaced with Katskin leather. Wish I had done that on day one.

I too have had ā€œrealā€ leather seats crack, but usually after closer to 10 years. I was specifically told not to use any kind of conditioner on this vinyl. Iā€™m not sure what it would do as itā€™s non porous material and the conditioner would just sit on top.

I am very particular about my cars interior. Other people donā€™t care, but I prioritize seat comfort and quality over things like perfect infotainment. With little kids and the constantly messy house that goes with them, my car (well, front seats) is the only place I spend an hour a day that I can keep near perfect. I made a compromise going with the MME over the Audi Q4 Etron because I didnā€™t want to wait another 12 months. The ActiveX looked nice and was comfortable when I did a test drive. I was willing to live with the fake leather thinking they finally made a good enough vinyl material.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes, my response was meant to be funny because I had already considered if it could be something I was wearing, etc. I feel better knowing that for 2-3k I can have it replaced with Katskin leather. Wish I had done that on day one.

I too have had ā€œrealā€ leather seats crack, but usually after closer to 10 years. I was specifically told not to use any kind of conditioner on this vinyl. Iā€™m not sure what it would do as itā€™s non porous material and the conditioner would just sit on top.

I am very particular about my cars interior. Other people donā€™t care, but I prioritize seat comfort and quality over things like perfect infotainment. With little kids and the constantly messy house that goes with them, my car (well, front seats) is the only place I spend an hour a day that I can keep near perfect. I made a compromise going with the MME over the Audi Q4 Etron because I didnā€™t want to wait another 12 months. The ActiveX looked nice and was comfortable when I did a test drive. I was willing to live with the fake leather thinking they finally made a good enough vinyl material.
Katskin is a good option. Thatā€™s probably what Iā€™ll do if I need to replace post-warranty.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
24K miles and no problem with ours yet. I do condition it on a regular basis.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
in my experience these materials fail as a result of using improper cleaners. These aren't organic leathers, they may be petrol based and some cleaners will break down the integrity of the material depending upon the chemicals and the chemistry of those cleaners. Much how rubbers can break down with the wrong kind of lubricants...some cleaners are not suitable for use on these materials. I generally stick with alkaline APCs that leave behind no residue. The armor all and other crap that leaves a finish are the ones I worry about.

The "interior protection package" or whatever the dealership did is suspect in this case.

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
Fact all leather alternatives suck and do not last nearly as long or as well.

To me, Ford Tesla etc are using the 'green' bull as being cheap. No excuse. If there TRUELY was such a big demand by the greens to have vegan fake leather that's made by... Shhh... Petro... Have an option real or fake leather make a green package with the shite low power get 3 more miles range speaker system they all premium etc etc and give a normal real leather seats good high powered speakers on an on and see where the customers go

Also real leather smells so good

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
How dare you complain? you can't complain, you are only allowed to praise, it's the new norm in car forums these days.

People are just getting conditioned and used to mediocre products at premium prices.
Sponsored